Page 12 of 745 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112512 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBlueElf View Post
    Well I've found my new Avatar!

I think a future version of Lorna leading a group of new Acolytes would have been awesome to see and the Green Magneto Helmet looks great!
    Too late, I was already making one based off it. lol.

Its a bit of payoff for playing the game on and off for a few months.

We need more avatars, I have a few if you want to use one.

Holy crap, this stuff is AMAZING. If we had a chance to see this Lorna involved in Battle of the Atom the event, I would've bought and read it. The pictures I'm quoting above alone are an excellent demonstration of what could have been when approaching an alternate universe scenario for Lorna. And, notably, she looks cool, smart and tough, and I'm quickly realizing we only get to see that Lorna when she's actively tied to and involved with Magneto. It's otherwise extremely rare, if not nearly impossible, to see Lorna coming off this awesome. Without that connection, depictions of Lorna start to slip into her acting and looking stupid and weak, largely to make a man look better, as is the obsession of old Marvel.
    Taking away the aspects of the character and her personality that are lets say somewhat Magneto like, you end up with plywood Lorna or at best Jean lite Lorna. It doesn't mean Lorna can't have aspects of her own personality and self, but lets face it, the masses are far more interested in smart bad assed militant mutant rights supporting Lorna. Otherwise she has a tendency to fade away into good looking wallpaper or mother hen of the B/C listers.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-20-2014 at 11:35 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Haha it's okay I'm fine with my current avatar of Lorna

Smile

jmc247 Fantastic

Taking away the aspects of the character and her personality that are lets say somewhat Magneto like, you end up with plywood Lorna or at best Jean lite Lorna. It doesn't mean Lorna can't have aspects of her own personality and self, but lets face it, the masses are far more interested in smart bad assed militant mutant rights supporting Lorna. Otherwise she has a tendency to fade away into good looking wallpaper or mother hen of the B/C listers.
    You could have gone to the wikia and obtained the picture that way. But I do think it's more rewarding for you that you're doing it after obtaining the card yourself by spending so much time on the game. I assumed Lorna wouldn't be in it at all, since Marvel has been excluding her from these things.

And I fully agree with you about smart, tough, militant mutant rights Lorna. The line about Lorna being a "mainstay of X-Factor" sounds like Marvel trying to make it sound like that's the only noteworthy place she's been. I can shrug that off as me reading too much into the text, since it's true that while she isn't nearly as X-Factor specific as she's made out to be there, she has still been on it a lot. But then we get to the first appearance bit where someone involved in making the card effectively tries to pretend 8 years of her existence don't count because those 8 years weren't written by Claremont. It's an obvious attempt to fudge her origins.

The plus side is that a card from Marvel claiming a first appearance date doesn't have as much power as it once did. Before the internet, you had to rely on what Marvel put out for information, even if it was misleading or wrong. Today, people misled by such cards can discover the truth a lot easier. Someone says "Her first appearance was in X-Men #97," it's easy to say "That's wrong, check out this link, she's even on the cover of X-Men #50."
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    You could have gone to the wikia and obtained the picture that way. But I do think it's more rewarding for you that you're doing it after obtaining the card yourself by spending so much time on the game. I assumed Lorna wouldn't be in it at all, since Marvel has been excluding her from these things.

And I fully agree with you about smart, tough, militant mutant rights Lorna. The line about Lorna being a "mainstay of X-Factor" sounds like Marvel trying to make it sound like that's the only noteworthy place she's been. I can shrug that off as me reading too much into the text, since it's true that while she isn't nearly as X-Factor specific as she's made out to be there, she has still been on it a lot. But then we get to the first appearance bit where someone involved in making the card effectively tries to pretend 8 years of her existence don't count because those 8 years weren't written by Claremont. It's an obvious attempt to fudge her origins.

The plus side is that a card from Marvel claiming a first appearance date doesn't have as much power as it once did. Before the internet, you had to rely on what Marvel put out for information, even if it was misleading or wrong. Today, people misled by such cards can discover the truth a lot easier. Someone says "Her first appearance was in X-Men #97," it's easy to say "That's wrong, check out this link, she's even on the cover of X-Men #50."
    You use the word Marvel too liberally here. Marvel does contract out to these companies to do their games and merchandise, but beyond that as I said in the past they really don't do much in the way of quality control beyond that. As for the date, its a very minor error compared to many of them that we have seen related to Lorna's past and merchandise and games.

No More Mutants says more about how the publishing side of Marvel feels about things with Polaris then a card game be it heroclix that said she wasn't Magneto's daughter a few months ago or this online card game that says she is.

As for having the card of future Lorna you do battle with... no you wouldn't have found it on wiki without playing the game. Its something that just came out yesterday. The regular card... sure its been around for months, but that isn't the point. Trading for the card the old fashioned way so I own it matters a bit more then just having the picture from a Marvel comic which I had seen back in 2006.

Future Lorna is a great new piece of art, the regular Lorna card is not and was taken from RAFOTSE.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-20-2014 at 03:05 PM.

You use the word Marvel too liberally here. Marvel does contract out to these companies to do their games and merchandise, but beyond that as I said in the past they really don't do much in the way of quality control beyond that. As for the date, its a very minor error compared to many of them that we have seen related to Lorna's past and merchandise and games.

No More Mutants says more about how the publishing side of Marvel feels about things with Polaris then a card game be it heroclix that said she wasn't Magneto's daughter a few months ago or this online card game that says she is.

As for having the card of future Lorna you do battle with... no you wouldn't have found it on wiki without playing the game. Its something that just came out yesterday. The regular card... sure its been around for months, but that isn't the point. Trading for the card the old fashioned way so I own it matters a bit more then just having the picture from a Marvel comic which I had seen back in 2006.

Future Lorna is a great new piece of art, the regular Lorna card is not and was taken from RAFOTSE.
    Maybe this is a case where I'm being too judgmental. I don't consider the date element to be a small thing, but now that you explain it, I can see how perhaps I hold Marvel accountable too heavily. This time, it's just a date, after all.

As for your comment about the card.

http://xmen-battle-of-the-atom-mobil...ure%29_Polaris

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

That future Polaris looks awesome!!

Maybe this is a case where I'm being too judgmental. I don't consider the date element to be a small thing, but now that you explain it, I can see how perhaps I hold Marvel accountable too heavily. This time, it's just a date, after all.

As for your comment about the card.

http://xmen-battle-of-the-atom-mobil...ure%29_Polaris

A fast turn around for them, but she just appeared at the start of the current event.

By the way if you collect three cards and combine them in the game the card should evolve into another different one. Unless you are made of money the only way to collect all three is by trading cards for other cards or vials of life energy.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-20-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Good news from the X-Men Days of Future Past video game.

Play as Wolverine, Kitty Pryde, Colossus, Cyclops or Scarlet Witch as Marvel's finest X-Men fight for the future of mutant and human kind in the two separate timelines of Days of Future Past.

The world around you is in ruins. Sentinel robots have enslaved most of the United States and are set to stage a global war. The X-Men have failed; the few who survived this nightmarish future are imprisoned in Mutant Internment camps. But all is not lost, the battle for the future can be fought in the past. With one chance to re-write history, The X-Men must stop this war by preventing the assassination of Senator Kelly.

Experience this exciting new adventure from Glitchsoft, the developer behind He-man: The Most Powerful Game in the Universe.

Available May 22nd on iOS devices and Kindle devices shortly thereafter. Android version on Google Play will be available later in the summer. The app will cost $2.99 and includes all playable characters, upgrades, alternate costumes and future updates such as Storm and Polaris.

**No Internet Connection Required and No In-App Purchases.

You Tube video of the game

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Yayayayay! This is certainly a good time to be a Polaris fan in the video game world. I'm a sucker for inexpensive side-scrollers too.

Good news from the X-Men Days of Future Past video game.
    I'm surprised, that's two pieces of good news in one day. I feel better about the near-future prospects for Lorna after what I've learned today. I'm really not one for mobile phone games, but I'm willing to make an exception here (as I'm going to do with the card game; in addition to not usually being a mobile gamer, I'm also not really a card gamer either) since Lorna's in it. I very much appreciate that Lorna got mentioned by name as a future addition when I realize they didn't need to do that for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    Yayayayay! This is certainly a good time to be a Polaris fan in the video game world. I'm a sucker for inexpensive side-scrollers too.
    I still wish Lorna had been in the Deadpool game, but I also know that it's not like anything about the game made her inclusion crucial. Wanda, Magneto and Pietro weren't in it, after all. I say this about the Deadpool game because a significant chunk of it takes place on the ruins of Genosha.

I have to wonder how long it'll be before something revives the Genosha element in the comics. The last time it got used in a significant way was Necrosha, and it's not like Genosha is likely to be empty, untouched ruins forever after that event. At minimum, you can expect some entities going there to more deeply assess what happened and its implications on human-mutant relations.

I have to wonder how long it'll be before something revives the Genosha element in the comics. The last time it got used in a significant way was Necrosha, and it's not like Genosha is likely to be empty, untouched ruins forever after that event. At minimum, you can expect some entities going there to more deeply assess what happened and its implications on human-mutant relations.
    Its Lorna not being in the X-Men Legends games and MUA games that pissed me off. Especially X-Men Legends II, but we are starting to see what I long talked about the fans of the early to mid 2000s comics (who were in their late teens or 20s then) are getting in positions where they can make a difference with the games and other matters.

Nostalgia has long been Lorna's worst enemy as a character given her depiction for so long, but finally its just starting to work in her favor. Hell all the way from Moscow you have Lorna and Wanda cosplayers hanging out with the DoFP actors.

There is going to be pressure at Marvel to simplify the family to Wanda, Pietro, and Magneto as we saw in No More Mutants because of the Avengers film and views that Lorna is an unimportant joke character, but in time enough people at Marvel will realize its stupid and things will change.

With animated series cut off from her and the X-Men, its very good that Lorna is getting serious play in video games. Now if we can just get the Avengers facebook game to follow suit. I long ago wrote off Marvel SHS.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-20-2014 at 08:37 PM.

ALL-NEW X-FACTOR #12
    PETER DAVID (W)
    CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO (A)
    Cover by KRIS ANKA & JARED FLETCHER
    • Serval holds an X-Factor press conference!
    • Everything should be fine.
    • It’s not like any of the members have secrets, right?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

ALL-NEW X-FACTOR #12
    PETER DAVID (W)
    CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO (A)
    Cover by KRIS ANKA & JARED FLETCHER
    • Serval holds an X-Factor press conference!
    • Everything should be fine.
    • It’s not like any of the members have secrets, right?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

The premise of the bullet points sounds good, but their vagueness means I don't think we should expect anything too crazy for any character or aspect of the book. An X-Factor press conference is a really good idea for the book, something that I think is starting to truly get at the potential of a corporate-owned team, which was the real draw of ANXF for a lot of people.

All the expressions seem fitting for the characters involved, Anka nailed it. I'll save the longer stuff for the ANXF thread, but it's good to see Lorna finally able to publicly represent the team within the book.

That future Polaris looks hilarious and awful though certainly reminiscent of her wedding when she had the breakdown so that could make sense.