Page 505 of 745 FirstFirst ... 5405455495501502503504505506507508509515555605 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,575 of 11164

Last edited by juan678; 11-03-2017 at 12:29 PM.

BANNED

I can only imagine how cathartic that was for the character. Emma really nailed it, in that scene. Esp. right before Marcos stopped her, I took note of her seething anger, hurt, & frustration, then. She, and the creators, really do get the character.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    Anyone else think that Lorna is definately losing the baby in the Gifted. I think they are setting up the pregnancy to be her "Anya" moment.
    I hope they do simply because I feel it's too soon in the show's run for her to have the pregnancy - birth - child rearing story arc. As I've said before, I'm open to where the writers could take it if they do it, I just don't think it's a good idea given how this type of storyline normally plays out for fictional characters on shows or in comics. I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about her having a kid if this was happening in a future season of the show, after she's had more of a chance to establish herself.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    TBH I hope so. I just can't see a pregnant superhero working out that well. Although the concept of her giving birth to highly significant characters from the comics or the show and possible time travel trickery involved is also enticing.
    It can work out. It just needs good writing. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Salarta
    Okay, what you're talking about is different from what I'm talking about.

My complaint isn't only not getting enough panel time, it's that what panel time she does get, it's all either empty filler or exclusively to make Magneto or Havok look better and put them on a higher pedestal.
    What has Lorna done to make Magneto look better? He's barely been in the book and they usually team together and she has questioned him already. She's not Jean Grey...she's not gonna go out of her way to stay on his case for NO REASON. It doesn't make a lick of sense for her to go 180 suddenly.

I'm saying Lorna needs to be acknowledged as her own character with her own worth and used as such, that she doesn't exist solely to be a sub-character to Magneto or Havok. Almost all of how Bunn writes her ignores who she actually is in service of those men.
    Yes...she does need to be her own character and to be in her own series. It makes me SICK TO MY STOMACH that joke like Gambit is getting another damn series yet I've personally contacted David Hine and Gail Simone on a Lorna series and the response were ones of interest. Gail seemed to not know who Lorna is and would definitely need a recourse of her history but we know what she's capable of writing.

What you're talking about - which I never once said - is the idea of completely flipping the script to where Polaris is in charge and everything about Magneto is ignored so Lorna can look better than him. In this scenario, we would see Magneto act shocked by Goblin Queen's attack on the base, followed by Lorna mockingly reminding him that an attack can come from anywhere, ignoring his history just like Bunn ignored Lorna's to make her act the same way. In this scenario, if Magneto was forced by Mojo to wear a uniform he wore in the Holocaust, Magneto would only react with "Oh wow, Mojo put me in a new costume!" while Lorna's wearing what she wore on Genosha and the entirety of what they're facing is the Genoshan genocide from her angle while ignoring that Magneto had anything to do with it.
    Not quite, kiddo. You're getting ahead of yourself here. The situation hasn't played out and from what was written, it was fair to both characters. What suggested to you that it wasn't is beyond me.

What I'm saying is that the panels she's in should 1) do more with her, and 2) write her the way she would actually think and behave in the situation. That's all I'm demanding. The thought you're responding to, which I never said, is Lorna getting that while Magneto gets written horribly out of character and has his history ignored and mocked repeatedly for Lorna's benefit, like Bunn has done to Lorna for Magneto.

It's not just panel time. It's how she's written on the few panels she gets. That's why I've repeatedly mentioned Marjorie Liu's use of her. In a four issue story focused almost entirely on Iceman, where Lorna only had like one page's worth of panels total, she still managed to write some actual Lorna and treat her well. Something Bunn hasn't done.
    Where is this wild proof that Lorna isn't acting like herself and is out of tone when Magneto is out and about? I've seen no such evidence. Not even remotely in that area. You're making it seem like this is some Gold Team Kitty crap...where everyone is being written down to play up her strengths. The Magneto character has outsmarted Xavier, Jean, Cyclops, Doom, Reed, Spider Man, Tony Stark, Storm, and the entire X catalog of teams that's ridiculous at this point. He usually has a Plan A, B, C, D. Making Magneto an "X Man" and a team player is a downgrade to his genius. Because let's be honest..he could of stopped the Inhuman Mist in the first issue...he could of stopped the Avengers in the Avengers vs X Men fight in one issue. This guy is the most feared mutant in history and always been a step ahead of them all for the last 30 years of continuity. Lorna is very bright but has she proven what Magneto has proven in the heat of battle and decision making? Just 17 years ago, she was basically Magneto's apprentice in Dark Seduction and he was her teacher and she learned how to do things she never even knew possible under his direction. She's not there to prop him up..she's there to add to the solution and grow as a single's character. Bunn said she would be on her way to being in a single's lead spot throughout this run...I have no reason to believe he's like Bendis and lying out of the blue. Especially since he's been one of the best quality writers in Marvel for the last 3 years.

Lorna was the last legit recognized leader of Genosha. She's a ROYAL BLOOD. She's a Princess. Not just in Genosha but ordained in the House of M overall. They went away from that when they did that space story and got involved in all that Vulcan/Summers crap.

As for taking her off X Men Blue? Nah. Negative. I still want to see how long Magneto and Lorna have been connected this time around. If she's been breaking any rules since X Factor and Last Days.....
    Last edited by JasonEsta; 11-03-2017 at 09:58 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    Anyone else think that Lorna is definately losing the baby in the Gifted. I think they are setting up the pregnancy to be her "Anya" moment.
    Maybe. It might be a point where they use to have her up the stakes...right or wrong.

Ultimate Member

Lorna is only royal to some, she's not descended from royalty outside of Magneto declaring himself it...it'd be no different than Trump or Obama proclaiming themselves king and their kids princes and such...though as for Dark Seduction I sometimes wonder if they dumbed Lorna down in that storyline a bit...as if she had no idea how to use her powers until Magneto showed her how...

BANNED

Magneto was King of Genosha. That place was a slave land for mutants. It was run on slave work and bigotry. Magneto ended all of that and became President/King of Genosha. When he was presumed dead in 2003, Lorna returned with the fake body and they bowed down to her as their Queen really. But with Magneto still being alive..she's more the Princess of the Land but still the one in charge when it comes down to it. Who is gonna tell her "NO"?

Ultimate Member

Anyone that wants to, Magneto in how he became king is little different than if Fidel Castro had proclaimed himself king after taking over Cuba, once Genosha was destroyed and was no longer a country or anything the title of King of Genosha lost all relevance...and I don't remember to many people calling Lorna princess or being expected to treat her any differently than they normally would...

BANNED

Well you must of missed the follow up to Planet X because it's right there for anyone to see.

Ultimate Member

I didn't say that nobody called her princess, only that it wasn't something that a great many people outside of the citizens of Genosha that were left called her that...

Fan Polaris Trailer

jane_bieber_y

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Where is this wild proof that Lorna isn't acting like herself and is out of tone when Magneto is out and about? I've seen no such evidence. Not even remotely in that area. You're making it seem like this is some Gold Team Kitty crap...where everyone is being written down to play up her strengths.
    You want receipts? Okay then. Here are receipts.

Check it out, it's Polaris! Daughter of Magneto! And...

And...

That's it! Daughter of Magneto! Nothing else to say about her! Sure other characters at minimum get a blurb for what their powers are even if they're characters like AU Quicksilver, but screw that with Lorna, nothing but daughter all the way! Also as you can tell by the dialogue, she has a history with Havok. But that's all you, the reader, need to know about her! Nothing else worth knowing! Yaaaaaaay!

Yo, that's Magneto's daughter? Wow, since she's Magneto's daughter, I'm really glad she's on our side. If she was some random unwashed pleb that's not Magneto's daughter, I might feel differently. But no, she's daddy's little mistress of magnetism! The fact she's Magneto's kid is what makes her someone that might be a huge help to us, you see. She'd be a loser if she was just mistress of magnetism period.

Whoa dude! Lorna told me to go and used her powers to force me to go when I said I wouldn't. You know what that meeeeeans? It means she's absolutely Magneto's daughter! There's noooooooo way she would ever behave this way if she was her own woman that isn't related to him in any way, shape or form. The strength of conviction she's showing here is all thanks to who her daddy is!

I'm not done. I have a post to come with two more pictures.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Egads, an attack! Who would have imagined! I know I lived through the Genoshan genocide and have literal decades of combat experience, but the idea of someone attacking us at our base of operations is just unfathomable and an absolute shock! Not for daddy though! Daddy, smart and super awesome guy that he is, always knows it can happen at any moment! Unlike me! And he's reminding me, an idiot, that something that's happened to me many times before can happen to me again!

What are these clothes! How strange! How peculiar! They look kinda like that thing I was forced to wear when Malice possessed me, used my body to hurt and kill people including the people I love most, and which I could do nothing to stop. Being a hostage in my own body was horrific... but eh, whatevs! My dad has this kickin new costume and we're about to deal with something important to him, the only person among the three of us that matters, so why bother with acknowledging that anything traumatic ever happened to me that involved this costume? His pain is the only thing I should be acknowledging right now.

That's just in X-Men Blue. I could pull up things from the end of the Magneto solo too.

Once again, a reminder: I want Lorna to interact with her father. I want her to do things with him, build that connection, and have a lot of great moments together. I complained heavily about Peter David screwing Lorna out of interacting with Lorna, to the point that when he ended an X-Factor issue with Lorna saying something along the lines of "I could live the rest of my life without ever seeing my dad again," I dropped X-Factor again. I loved the origin story he told, but giving Marvel an excuse to ignore Magneto as her father was enough to undo the good of the origin story for me.

But none of it matters one bit if it's unbalanced like it is now. Bunn has been ignoring trauma she's endured, fights she's been in, places she's been, because they aren't part of establishing how great and glorious Magneto or Havok are. Lorna does something powerful, it's cause Magneto's her father.

The only reason I'm not louder and more insistent right now than I was with Peter David is because we have Gifted doing what Marvel and Bunn should be doing. That's really it. They'll hopefully bring in the fact Lorna is Magneto's daughter, but they haven't spent the five episodes we've seen of her trying to frame her powerful moments as if they're purely a result of her father being Magneto. Otherwise I'd be going off a lot more about how her trauma history is getting blown off by Bunn because he can't be bothered to care about it due to only really caring about Magneto and Havok.
    Last edited by salarta; 11-03-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Lorna has been mostly a minor character that was gone for a long time. It's like a soap opera. You have to remind the audience who they are and what happened without assuming everyone is up to speed.