Page 705 of 745 FirstFirst ... 205605655695701702703704705706707708709715 ... LastLast
Results 10,561 to 10,575 of 11164

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Agree with this but she is "paired up with" Marcos even on that promotion just saying
    That doesn't matter, what matters is that she is her own character with her own philosophy and her own agenda and her own goals and her own worldview.

That is what it means to be an independent interesting character. Not being divorced from romance or a male character, but not being an aspect in another characters story to accentuate that character and having her own voice and thinking.

Lorna's problem in the comics is constantly being written to further other characters stories be they her romantic interest or not. There is nothing wrong with some of that, but one can't forget Lorna's own voice and views in the process.

The Gifted proved very well it need not be that way. But, there have been two or three comic runs that have also shown that writers who take into account Lorna's own history can succeed with the character. It should not be a surprise those runs have an over sized influence on Lorna's first live action appearance which hopefully can serve as a template for understanding an approximation of a well rounded Lorna for future creators.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-14-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    That doesn't matter, what matters is that she is her own character with her own philosophy and her own agenda and her own goals and her own worldview.

That is what it means to be an independent interesting character. Not being divorced from romance or a male character, but not being an aspect in another characters story to accentuate that character and having her own voice and thinking.

Lorna's problem in the comics is constantly being written to further other characters stories be they her romantic interest or not. There is nothing wrong with a little of that, but for comic Lorna she tends to get buried in being written around other characters to accentuate them. The Gifted proved very well it need not be that way. But, there have been two or three comic runs that have also shown that writers who take into account Lorna's own history can succeed with the character.

It should not be a surprise those runs have an over sized influence on Lorna's first live action appearance.
    I understand... we'll have to see how it goes though vis a vis Lorna/Marcos in season 2. If they will both be trying to "tempt" the other using their new ideologies and mindsets constantly. The state of their child. A radical break would be for Lorna to develop romantic affection with someone else... cough cough Cuckoo/Reeva cough cough

The fact Thunderbird seems to be the Underground's leader instead of Marcos though might make it a bit tougher to view it as a Magneto vs Prof X situation. Not sure what ideology Thunderbird even has quite frankly, he seems a bit more pragmatic than Marcos overall. And Blink certainly while she has a "good heart" is also prone to hating tyrannical human organizations so she may be slightly easier for Hellfire to negotiate around. And I still have hope Andy or Wes or something can get Lauren to cross over.
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 06-14-2018 at 08:21 AM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    I think a HoM DLC could be highly likely for the game if it’s based around Avengers Disassembled. If that’s the case, it’s even more likely that we’d see Lorna as an NPC of sorts.

One drawback of Strike Force is that they don’t add characters as quickly as others. It seems like the average is about two per month.
    Future Fight tends to add a lot of characters all at once so it’s a bit more likely we could see her this year. Especially since there’s no more MCU films coming out after next month.
    I had similar thoughts in regard to the NPC situation or they could be doing an Avengers Ultimate Alliance type thing and setting HoM up to be the second game in a series. Its hard to tell from this vantage point.

I have some hopes for Future Fight. The more characters the higher the chance Lorna gets included, especially as promotion for season 2 of The Gifted goes into high gear as its clear the straight ban on doing promotion for Fox affiliated shows is no longer quite in force the way it was last year and whats more Lorna turned out to be the break out star of the high rated comic book show on air right now something I don't think Marvel expected nor planned for.

The fact Thunderbird seems to be the Underground's leader instead of Marcos though might make it a bit tougher to view it as a Magneto vs Prof X situation.
    T-bird didn't run a top down tight ship last season as in Lorna, Marcos and others were already pretty much doing their own thing most of the time as it stood.

In terms of next season ratings wise (even web sites in Asia are looking at American ratings for shows to see which might get reupped) the show can probably survive a 20% decline in live ratings and get a season 3 as long as DVR and other platform numbers are kicking ass even given the factors that make things more tight at Fox these days.

Super hero shows in general from year to year have seen rather huge declines the past year most 20-30%. Legion had over 50% declines of the kind Fox would not accept for season 2 of The Gifted (but cable is a different beast).

If The Gifted season 2 really kicks ass and gets fans talking in a way much of season 1 didn't quite do and I believe it can lets just say it would be great for it to hold or build on its season one numbers. One shouldn't expect it, but its entirely possible if they work out the kinks from season 1 and goes all out from the start.

The worry for season 2 of The Gifted is fans not giving it a chance early or it having a season one style mid season lull that saps the show.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-14-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

That is amazing.

Its just great to have a version of Lorna that really is the modern heir to the few great depictions of Lorna in the comics over the years and its a version of the character that tens of millions are seeing and will continue to be seeing globally for a second season.

No writing Lorna to accentuate and build up other characters here nor writing Lorna based on crap nostalgia for the character. I can't wait to see the season 2 publicity posters that should be going up soon.

Lorna is going to have quite the struggle on her hands next season inside Hellfire and outside it.
    Agreed. Its nice to see a version that really beings together all that makes Lorna unique, and in one package. A benefit of doing the show in this day in age is that the writers are able to bypass all that weak writing the character has had, and focus instead on what makes her so appealing to her fans. Can't wait to see the other promos they'll have.

Lorna's problem in the comics is constantly being written to further other characters stories be they her romantic interest or not. There is nothing wrong with some of that, but one can't forget Lorna's own voice and views in the process.

The Gifted proved very well it need not be that way. But, there have been two or three comic runs that have also shown that writers who take into account Lorna's own history can succeed with the character. It should not be a surprise those runs have an over sized influence on Lorna's first live action appearance which hopefully can serve as a template for understanding an approximation of a well rounded Lorna for future creators.
    Very well said.

It should also be noted, that all other female characters are paired with the male ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    It should also be noted, that all other female characters are paired with the male ones as well.
    They are but it's obviously more significant in this case. Like noone believes the Cuckoos are going to get into a relationship with Jace. And Blink/Thunderbird is a fairly obvious and understood pairing (except the extreme fans of Dreamer)

Since we're talking about sensitivities regarding whether Lorna has her own views or she gets absorbed into her romantic partner's views. She clearly "passed this test" in season 1 and I do think she will continue it in season 2. However I see some hints at them possibly playing with undoing it.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    They are but it's obviously more significant in this case. Like noone believes the Cuckoos are going to get into a relationship with Jace. And Blink/Thunderbird is a fairly obvious and understood pairing (except the extreme fans of Dreamer)

Since we're talking about sensitivities regarding whether Lorna has her own views or she gets absorbed into her romantic partner's views. She clearly "passed this test" in season 1 and I do think she will continue it in season 2. However I see some hints at them possibly playing with undoing it.
    The only odd one is the Cuckoos and Jace, but all the other ones are because those characters have a connection. Polaris/Eclipse, Caitlin/Reed, Blink/Thunderbird, and Lauren/Andy. I don't see how its more significant than the others. Clearly, their story will still involve one another. They're having a child, and I'm sure that's going to be a point of contention with them being on different sides.

The only odd one is the Cuckoos and Jace, but all the other ones are because those characters have a connection. Polaris/Eclipse, Caitlin/Reed, Blink/Thunderbird, and Lauren/Andy. I don't see how its more significant than the others. Clearly, their story will still involve one another. They're having a child, and I'm sure that's going to be a point of contention with them being on different sides.
    The Cuckoos killed his partner and men under his command. Jace is coming for them in particular as he came for another telepath last season.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-14-2018 at 10:45 AM.

I agree their story has to involve each other but you can understand how on a surface level putting them together can encourage folks to think of them as possibly getting back together. Not necessarily that I believe it, but there are Eclaris shippers and it encourages them to do it this way. Obviously what really matters will be the actual episodes and I agree it's unlikely he would sway her away but you never know really.

The Cuckoos killed his partner and men under his command. Jace is coming for them in particular as he came for another telepath last season.
    That is true, they have a "relationship" as the polar extremes among the main cast in terms of viewpoint I guess and are bonded by mutual hatred, or is it actually more one sided hatred Jace vs Cuckoos, I doubt the Cuckoos view Jace as anything other than a bug

OBEY

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

You guys, Lorna's hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So excited.
    now polaris is going to be a really important character, more than at the beginning of s1, that would make her even more important in comics, yasss
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    now polaris is going to be a really important character, more than at the beginning of s1, that would make her even more important in comics, yasss
    Yeah surely their marketing squad can realize that Polaris is like the #1 most popular character they've got. Although Blink is up there

OBEY

BANNED

He came after Dreamer. The Cuckoos are far more ruthless and manipulative. They'd kill him if he came after them. In fact Jace did not come after Dreamer, she was captured in a raid on a facility. Jace's people overall have been fairly inept and had the Underground gone in the facility with better training Dreamer would still be alive.

BANNED

https://twitter.com/cloudmoverart
    Mark Evans
    @cloudmoverart

The great #Polaris, daughter of #Magneto. One of the cards I painted for the soon to be released #XMen #FleerUltra set from @UpperDeckEnt...

Its well drawn card and yes I saw its coming out with the card pack at the end of the month.

Interestingly the artist hasn't seen The Gifted yet though a bunch of fans on the Instagram page said it was worth watching.

Oh and.

Last edited by jmc247; 06-14-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Interesting, her "classic" standard XFactor uniform , photorealistic face, but clearly in a more intimidating scenario

OBEY

Gorgeous! Not a fan of that uniform, but well done!