Page 707 of 745 FirstFirst ... 207607657697703704705706707708709710711717 ... LastLast
Results 10,591 to 10,605 of 11164

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    It definitely helps that the version of Lorna being seen on TV is a version that we love and fortunately most of the fans do as well.
    Among those who watched the show yes though many haven't yet and are planning on catching up in the Summer from what I have seen. After the first several episodes big marketing companies did do in-depth research into how viewers saw the show and various characters and Lorna was the break out star even when she was receiving little screen time in the first couple episodes.

‘The Gifted’: A Deep Dive Into Viewer and Advertiser Data Surrounding Fox’s New Hit

Although it’s still early in the 2017-18 TV season, Fox seems to have a promising new show on its hands: The Gifted, which expands on Marvel’s X-Men franchise and follows a family on the run from the government because their kids have mutant abilities.

B&C worked with Inscape.tv, the TV data company with glass-level information from 7 million smart TV screens and devices, to reveal live-viewership trends during the first three episodes. Also below: brand and advertising data courtesy of iSpot.tv and a look at fans’ emotional reactions via Canvs.

So far The Gifted has seen steady upticks in live viewership, meaning that more people are tuning in as each episode progresses. (The dips in the graphs below represent people switching to different channels during commercial breaks, which is typical when it comes to watching TV live).

The show may also be benefiting from a lead-in audience watching Lucifer, which then, already primed for a fantasy/comic-book-esque story, sticks around for The Gifted. Notably, each week after The Gifted concludes, a subset of the audience switches over to ABC to catch its new show The Good Doctor—a drama about a young doctor with, yes, special abilities.

According to iSpot, which has attention and conversion data from more than seven million smart TVs, so far 64 brands have spent an estimated $8.1 million running 109 spots 161 times during The Gifted. Mobile device companies as a category are leading in spend, followed by automakers, with Verizon and Lincoln topping the list of individual brands that have shelled out the most. But interestingly—and perhaps fittingly—the single commercial with the highest estimated spend is a trailer for Blade Runner 2049 from Warner Bros.

There have been 16,006 Emotional Reactions (ERs) on social media to episodes of The Gifted so far, according to Canvs, the emotion measurement company. Love has been the most prominent emotion, appearing in 29.9% of all ERs about the show. Many fans have also been expressing excitement (18.2%) and enjoyment (16.%), while some have been talking about how crazy the show is (5.6%).

The character Polaris, who also goes by Lorna Dane and is portrayed by Emma Dumont, has been the most-mentioned so far. Not only are fans loving her abilities, which include controlling magnetism, they think she’s just beautiful.

There are seven episodes remaining in the season, so stay tuned to see if The Gifted remains the gift that keeps on giving for Fox.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...new-hit/169512
    A huge amount of viewership data compiled by a large study of The Gifted viewers for the first few episodes.

The key for next season is to get viewers to start to see The Gifted as must watch live or soon thereafter TV more like The Walking Dead not must DVR and watch down the line as big network TV relies big time on high live viewership or soon thereafter ratings much much more then cable. The big budget for The Gifted means every bit helps meaning On Demand watchers, FoxTV.com, Amazon ep buyers, Hulu watchers, but nothing helps the show more then live or soon thereafter watchers.

For Lorna as fans catch up on last season and see the promotion for next season it should already start to have an impact this Summer on the large number of comic fans who haven't watched yet. Next season as well based on her being the break out star and from the promotion I imagine we will be seeing more of her then we did last year.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-15-2018 at 10:15 AM.

An update on the response to the early advertising campaign... so far its really really good across the internet with both casual x-fans and hard core fans with alot of contrasting with the more generic ad campaign last year for the Sentinels Services and nearly exclusively the Strucker family among the high profile advertising.

Last edited by jmc247; 06-15-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I just find so much of that kind of data analysis inherently creepy though sorry like what on earth is an "Emotional Reaction" even? How do they even define or determine these things... it feels so weird to me and artificial.

Also not sure you want to encourage shows to radically change their storylines or planning based on like episode-to-episode fan reaction (as determined by algorithms) that's... very weird as well, and kind of reduces the artistic control or vision of the folks making the show yknow?

I also wonder for this season how certain actors like Dumont or Acker might react to their roles. Dumont especially clearly has an emotional attachment to the character and it means a lot to her that Polaris is fundamentally a good person trying to do the right thing. If this season ends up compromising that...? Could we see a little bit of mutiny possibly with Dumont giving some messages on social media? Who knows. Acker already has complained publicly that her role as Caitlin is so stifling. However, given her "action" pose on that van, and the rumors she is training to use a sword... she may be a happier camper overall. Although being a mere flatscan not sure how much she can truly do but we'll see. Some of her fans have said they want her to hunt down Lorna as revenge for seducing Andy. I think that is a terrible idea but maybe the show could go that route.

Finally speaking of Andy... I hope his actor is doing ok. I get the sense he is like... quite eccentric? Like he just deleted his instagram the other day and it almost feels like some of the other cast kind of make fun of him. Idk. I hope everything is alright. He also seems to have difficulty smiling for group photos. But his actual performances in season 1 I thought were professional and extremely well done overall so I certainly want to see more of him in season 2, just hope everything is ok with the guy.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I just find so much of that kind of data analysis inherently creepy though sorry like what on earth is an "Emotional Reaction" even? How do they even define or determine these things... it feels so weird to me and artificial.
    This is the kind of data that advertisers want to know as well as the studio. When tens to hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake... people forget that TV shows and movies are businesses at their own peril. You want to be 'artistic', but also want to know exactly what is working on your show as far as the audience is concerned and what is not as in the real world everything you do online is data collected by advertisers among many others.

Most of the 'free to use companies' like Twitter, Facebook, Google, and others... one of their main sources of money is collecting data on the public to give to companies which only became big news recently because Facebook gave data to Putin.

Of the returning scripted shows (which doesn't count Roseanne) of the 2017/2018 season The Gifted's DVR lift managed to get it into the top 10 where there are a few tied for that spot. Just out from Variety.

The final Live+7 numbers for the traditional September to May season are in the books...

Along with “The Good Doctor,” several other freshman shows made it onto the high end of the delayed viewing charts this season. Fox’s “9-1-1,” “The Gifted,” and “The Orville,” and CBS’ “Young Sheldon,” “SWAT,” and “SEAL Team” all cracked the top 25.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/201...ne-1202840644/

The actual live viewership numbers were very much on Fox's average for all of its shows. The live numbers for The Gifted are one big area to work on for next season of making the show seem more like must watch TV not lets DVR it and watch later.

Season two of The Gifted probably could end up getting a season 3 with a 20% or so drop in live numbers and DVR. But, I have my doubts it would for a 30% drop and certainly not a Legion sized drop of over half.

Legion being a low budget show on cable could afford such a drop as long as the critics still loved the season. The same wouldn't be true of The Gifted which is not low budget and airing on a major network. The success of 911 and several other Fox shows this years as well as football taking up all the Thursday Fox slots means next season will be much more competitive as far as ratings for The Gifted as a show.

Overall The Gifted season one did solidly when one accounts for the DVR numbers, but 911 did enough better that The Gifted was foisted from its Monday night spot. You want the combination of a good product and a good product that people are watching which is why marketing analytics is a huge field.

Every time you say go to a film and then tweet about it or send out a Facebook message about X film you just saw companies hired by the studios collect that data and compile it for them. That is the reality of the modern world.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-15-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    This is really well done. Don't care for the costume, as it's too generic, but overall a great rendition. Love the pose and action going on.

Upper Deck has been making some of the best Marvel cards for nearly 30 years now. This was for the 90s style Fleer set coming out in a month.

1990s-Style FLEER ULTRA X-MEN Card Series Returns This JULY

Things that stand out so far is the quality of the artists and there is a 15 card Master of Magnetism subset of cards for the deck. But, yes Lorna of 1992's outfit was too generic for my tastes as well as her depiction back then in the comics, but its an amazing piece of art.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-15-2018 at 10:14 AM.

For San Diego Comic-Con International this year, Entertainment Earth is digging back into the title that started it all, with an exclusive set of 16 stylized wooden Pin Mates from the iconic original storyline that we're pleased to debut right here. Each Pin Mate is individually numbered, and each set is limited to 1500.

Due to separate licensing for the X-Men, there will be an additional set of three Marvel Mutants in their 1991 outfits to fit into the storyline--Wolverine, Cyclops, and Scarlet Witch--also limited to 1,500, and sized so they can fit into three empty slots reserved for them in the main box set. If supplies remain after Comic-Con, the main set can be ordered here and the X-Men add-on set here.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/luketho.../#507d53f24b74
    Interesting info from Forbes on licensing for Marvel and specifically X-Men products. For Wanda or Wolverine for instance they needed a separate licensing agreement to make a product with Fox then their one with Marvel.

I am sure this applies to games as well.

We know some games have a license for X-Men characters and some do not. It might be nice to keep in mind which game makers have the ability to do x-characters now (and upcoming) and which do not.

The studio for their LEGO games had the right, but do not under their new contract I believe.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-15-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    This is the kind of data that advertisers want to know as well as the studio. When tens to hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake... people forget that TV shows and movies are businesses at their own peril. You want to be 'artistic', but also want to know exactly what is working on your show as far as the audience is concerned and what is not as in the real world everything you do online is data collected by advertisers among many others.

Most of the 'free to use companies' like Twitter, Facebook, Google, and others... one of their main sources of money is collecting data on the public to give to companies which only became big news recently because Facebook gave data to Putin.

Of the returning scripted shows (which doesn't count Roseanne) of the 2017/2018 season The Gifted's DVR lift managed to get it into the top 10 where there are a few tied for that spot. Just out from Variety.

Season two of The Gifted probably could end up getting a season 3 with a 20% or so drop in live numbers and DVR. But, I have my doubts it would for a 30% drop and certainly not a Legion sized drop of over half.

Legion being a low budget show on cable could afford such a drop as long as the critics still loved the season. The same wouldn't be true of The Gifted which is not low budget and airing on a major network. The success of 911 and several other Fox shows this years as well as football taking up all the Thursday Fox slots means next season will be much more competitive as far as ratings for The Gifted as a show.

Overall The Gifted season one did solidly when one accounts for the DVR numbers, but 911 did enough better that The Gifted was foisted from its Monday night spot. You want the combination of a good product and a good product that people are watching which is why marketing analytics is a huge field.

Every time you say go to a film and then tweet about it or send out a Facebook message about X film you just saw companies hired by the studios collect that data and compile it for them. That is the reality of the modern world.
    1) What do you think it means in terms of shows with a high jump from live to +7? Does that say anything about that show's demographics of their audience, or its genre? Or is it too evenly distributed for such a pattern to emerge

2) I extremely doubt Gifted s2 would have a Legion s2 style drop in ratings. Legion s1 was very well received (actually better received than Gifted s1 probably) but Gifted s2 seems to have learned lessons and is more adaptable in terms of what its audience actually wants than Legion proved to be.

3) I agree it's a business but I still think there is a balance to be had, and you have to find something a bit eerie or wrong about algorithms basically telling writers what to do. For example, do folks even really know or understand why they like something in a show 3 episodes in? That thing may change its context totally as more episodes come out. I'm not saying it's bad to collect data, and actually in an ideal world, it'd be great for faster feedback and then creators can finetune things , if the ultimate result is people getting more of what they wanted. But I just think.... to some extent the average fan out there may not be educated or informed enough in terms of variety of shows and whatnot to really be qualified to know how or what to appreciate, compared to professional writers. A lot of times, you *discover* you like something by just happening to have experienced it, without purposely knowing in advance you would want it. So I think there are serious limitations to this.

4) I'm still worried about Andy's actor a bit
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

AbnormallyNormal please understand and I will say it again it’s not my view that studios should treat their marketing research as all important in what they do.

I will say it again that I am not saying screw art and just focus on marketing research like you are implying. I am saying marketing research is an important part in studios and advertisers look into their audience tastes. That is a fact of modern life. If you don’t like it that is fine, but I am not responsible for market research mattering in the modern era.

I believe a show or film should be artistic, while having a social message and appealing to the masses.

In fact if Stan and the rest had more modern data collection methods as Claremont has said first run X-Men wouldn’t have been canceled as interest and sales were turning around in the months before the plug was pulled.

As for L + 7 all just shows how many (using Nielsen households as a scientific sample) watched live or by DVR within 7 days. It’s not the number that sets the all important advertising dollars rate for shows that is the C + 3 and C + 7 numbers meaning how many live viewers plus DVR watchers who watched the show and TV ads after.

The L + 3 and L + 7 numbers usually mirror the C + 3 and C + 7 numbers though not completely if you want to see below some of the early The Gifted C + numbers that are rarely seen to the public.

http://adage.com/article/media/c7-c3...doctor/311280/

As for the show of course it won’t have a Legion sized drop though even half that sized drop which a great many other super hero shows had this season might be fatal. Right now the biggest short term issue for the show viewership wise is getting viewers that tuned out after the first 3 eps last year to watch the rest of the season and give season two a shot.

Then you focus on keeping them around with a great show with important social messages.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-15-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Oh and I just wanted to add the advertisers want the data often more then the studios. The data company I linked to is not even getting into the most personal data companies want.

Due to smart TV’s and other modern ways of viewing shows they know exactly when in episodes the audience has their attention focused on the show and loses their attention/focus based on their eyes.

These days they actually can tell which ads people focus on and which they don't and which characters and relationships they focus on and which they look elsewhere or move to something else (Iphone time) when that character or relationship comes on.

The only numbers fans interested in a third season need concern themselves with are the ratings in the 18-49 demographic. Based on Fox's Spring behavior and if the ratings for other shows don't significantly change nor any other big changes take place.

Live ratings

1.0- If its averaging a 1 or above don't worry about any other number the show is safe.
    .9- Its likely safe as long as fans are watching by DVR in any real numbers.
    .8- Its dicey if this is the rating a few eps in.. if there is salvation look to high DVR and On Demand numbers.

In terms of L + 3

1.5+ the show is safe.
    1.3-1.5 likely renewal.
    1.0-1.2 iffy

In terms of L + 7

1.7+ the show is safe.
    1.5-1.7 likely renewal.
    1.3-1.5 iffy

In terms of season 1 average it was 1.01 live and 2.0 L + 7.

Anything below iffy and just hope multi-platform viewing is doing great and they renew and stick the show on Fridays the way ABC did with AoS. If DVR and multi-platform weren't over-performing and Disney wasn't doing a favor to Marvel Entertainment AoS would have ended with season four.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-15-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Sweet Valley High artist Andres Genolet is replacing the originally-solicited artist of July 25's X-Men Blue #32. Marvel Comics reported the change this week in its weekly retailer email.

Jorge Molina was originally solicited to draw X-Men Blue #32, but was removed with no reason given. He is still solicited to draw #31.

X-Men Blue #32 will be Genolet's Marvel Comics debut, after working on Dynamite Entertainment's Sweet Valley High series.

https://www.newsarama.com/40387-swee...n-blue-32.html
    Artist change, also part of the cover for Blue 35 or 36.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Cool art piece.

I always like seeing different interpretations of Lorna's ever-changing headpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    Cool art piece.

I always like seeing different interpretations of Lorna's ever-changing headpiece.
    I like seeing the different versions of her headpiece as well. Hopefully her next one is an improvement to her space one.

The closest version to the one above which ever existed in the comics was probably during Hidden Years.

The problem with the space headgear has been that its been very hit and miss depending on the artist if they can make it work. Some have made it work great and some not at all.

On the topic of games I looked back at some of the stuff for the first time Lorna was considered important enough to even be an NPC in a video game and that was 2005 below.

The second time was a couple years later Marvel vs CAPCOM also as an NPC.

The first playable game was X-Men Legos. It was almost the perfect situation were the typical excuse for keeping Lorna out that we don't want characters with redundant power sets (bull you have 5 super strong characters and three Wolverines) didn't apply and what's more Polaris fans asked for her inclusion which in the past they have either been too disorganized or too afraid of doing.