Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Thoughts on Marvel's Star Wars

I loved the art, but the story is wrong in all kinds of ways. Anyone else think so? To me, every writer should ask himself, would this be cool if I was watching a movie? This would have came off like total crap in a movie. Han trying to step on Vader with an AT-AT, Luke running into him, what Vader was saying. Vader's helmet coming off like it did (the helmet doesn't work like that at all).

Just bugged the hell out me.

Meh, I've enjoyed the first 2 issues so far, but I hope it starts branching off into focusing on new EU characters or at least splitting up the main characters to do their own things sooner rather than later. The only thing that really bothered me was C3-PO getting disassembled yet again, that one was going back to the well a little to much.

I enjoy it.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    I enjoy it.
    Me too. Vader, Leia and Han are great.

Amazing Member

I really don't think a comic writer's top priority should be making something that would be good in a movie. They should take full advantage of the medium they're using, sometimes comics make for good movies and sometimes they don't. Even movie properties like this one shouldn't focus on stuff like that because this is a completely different kind of storytelling. Trying to make the comic like a movie could completely ruin the flow of a monthly series.

I think the Star Wars comic has been great so far, I guess we just have different taste in comics.

Jason Aaron loves the wacky and over the top. You should have expected this sort of thing going in.

I would also expect C-3PO totting a machine gun at some put going "OH DEAR!"

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Jason Aaron loves the wacky and over the top. You should have expected this sort of thing going in.
    ^ THIS to nth degree. I'll be caught up by early March, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, it's Aaron on point.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post

I would also expect C-3PO totting a machine gun at some put going "OH DEAR!"
    And yet his Thor isn't what one would consider Wacky. It's as if a writer can write different types of material. Interesting.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Romus5 View Post
    I loved the art, but the story is wrong in all kinds of ways. Anyone else think so? To me, every writer should ask himself, would this be cool if I was watching a movie? This would have came off like total crap in a movie. Han trying to step on Vader with an AT-AT, Luke running into him, what Vader was saying. Vader's helmet coming off like it did (the helmet doesn't work like that at all).

IF you are basically saying the second issue wasn't as good as the first. I agree. And it isn't the writing or art.

It was the tone that was off to me. No sense of danger. The Star Wars movies had that, even in its lighter moments.

Can't wait to read the third issue to see if balance is restored to the force. I mean Artoo Dee-2 and C-3p0 were the comedy reliefs. Han and Leia had banter but I wouldn't classify it as overly comedic.

Running into Vader so soon. very Risky.

Maybe Its me and I need to lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    IF you are basically saying the second issue wasn't as good as the first. I agree. And it isn't the writing or art.

It was the tone that was off to me. No sense of danger. The Star Wars movies had that, even in its lighter moments.

Can't wait to read the third issue to see if balance is restored to the force. I mean Artoo Dee-2 and C-3p0 were the comedy reliefs. Han and Leia had banter but I wouldn't classify it as overly comedic.

Running into Vader so soon. very Risky.

Maybe Its me and I need to lighten up.
    This was the biggest weapons facility of the Empire so it would have been a natural target of the rebels. I don't think Vader's arrival there would be too much of a stretch. I think this issue would take place pretty soon after the destruction of the Deathstar. The rebels would be trying to deliver another crippling blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Romus5 View Post

Then maybe you should stick to watching movies and skip the comic books?

I sometimes hate when the comic books start becoming TOO MUCH LIKE the movies and TV shows, but that's just me.

Personally I'll be sticking with my 20 years worth of Dark Horse Star Wars comics.

I started reading star wars comics with brian woods star wars from the last year and a half or so....this is already better.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    And yet his Thor isn't what one would consider Wacky. It's as if a writer can write different types of material. Interesting.
    I haven't read Scalped or Southern Bastards yet, but can those be described as wacky too? Cause for some reason I really doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheObsessor View Post
    Personally I'll be sticking with my 20 years worth of Dark Horse Star Wars comics.
    You can do both.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Ill say this much, if one goes into the Marvel Star Wars stories with the same thoughts as the Dark Horse stories, you will be some what disappointed. Dark Horse had a LOT to work with, including a LOT of freedom in regard of expanding the universe and characters to use. The problem for Marvel now is what the issue was in the past when it had Star Wars years ago, they have a limited area of the universe to work with. There is no EU, marvel can't use Mara, or Thrawn, or the Chriss, or Han's buddies, or Boba Fett, or the twins, or any cool character's that were created during the EU. They can only use characters from the main four movies and the Rebels series, and probably the clone wars (unless that's not in continuity anymore, but I think it is because it's still owned by Lucus Arts right?) and what little they had from the Marvel Star Wars comics from earlier.

Are they doing well for being handicapped with only the Prequels and the four movies, I suppose, will this severely limit the writers in the future. Yes!