Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 57
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    And yet his Thor isn't what one would consider Wacky. It's as if a writer can write different types of material. Interesting.
    You kidding? Thor is plenty wacky! A minotaur running a company? The fact that the past, present and future Thor all teamed up? That one dark elf who was tortured by being overfed? The cosmic sharks?

    Thor is very wacky!

    Even Original Sin was especially wacky. Black Widow talked about eating a bear!

  2. #17
    Fantastic 4ever Kirby Krackle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    You kidding? Thor is plenty wacky! A minotaur running a company? The fact that the past, present and future Thor all teamed up? That one dark elf who was tortured by being overfed? The cosmic sharks?

    Thor is very wacky!

    Even Original Sin was especially wacky. Black Widow talked about eating a bear!
    Thor has outrageous concepts, but none are done in a wacky manner or tone. You're only looking at surface value.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

  3. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    Thor has outrageous concepts, but none are done in a wacky manner or tone. You're only looking at surface value.
    Oh, the new Thor run is great. But it still has those wacky Aaron elements such as the space sharks. It is a grand epic, but you can always see Aaron's signature style creep through.

  4. #19
    Fantastic 4ever Kirby Krackle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Oh, the new Thor run is great. But it still has those wacky Aaron elements such as the space sharks. It is a grand epic, but you can always see Aaron's signature style creep through.
    While we're essentially on the same page, I'm just saying his execution of those more colorful elements is done in a manner that isn't tongue in cheek. It's more fantasy with a dash of whimsy conan the barbabrian heavy metal style. You know? His Wolverine and the X-Men though, yeah, that was wacky. Look at the difference between both. It's huge.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    While we're essentially on the same page, I'm just saying his execution of those more colorful elements is done in a manner that isn't tongue in cheek. It's more fantasy with a dash of whimsy conan the barbabrian heavy metal style. You know? His Wolverine and the X-Men though, yeah, that was wacky. Look at the difference between both. It's huge.
    Oh, I know. The style is very different. It's just that you know when Aaron creeps his style in. Again, Original Sin's first issue when Black Widow said she ate a bear, I knew it was a Jason Aaron comic.

  6. #21
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Battlepizza (aka - Cattleworld)
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Jason Aaron loves the wacky and over the top. You should have expected this sort of thing going in.

    I would also expect C-3PO totting a machine gun at some put going "OH DEAR!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Warp Spasm View Post
    ^ THIS to nth degree. I'll be caught up by early March, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, it's Aaron on point.
    You guys beat me to it.

  7. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Battlepizza (aka - Cattleworld)
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    And yet his Thor isn't what one would consider Wacky. It's as if a writer can write different types of material. Interesting.
    Wrong. You know that God Butcher storyline everyone loves so much? I had to stop reading it early on because even the sound effects didn't fit the tone.

    Different strokes and all of that. But, there's a reason why these hot writers are hot. They are given free reign to write whatever they want to whether it's appropriate for the characters or not. They DO NOT write different types of material within the Marvel Universe. Their works outside of Marvel may be different, but it's generally universally agreed upon that these writers worst work has been for Marvel's superheroes.

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    Wrong. You know that God Butcher storyline everyone loves so much? I had to stop reading it early on because even the sound effects didn't fit the tone.

    Different strokes and all of that. But, there's a reason why these hot writers are hot. They are given free reign to write whatever they want to whether it's appropriate for the characters or not. They DO NOT write different types of material within the Marvel Universe. Their works outside of Marvel may be different, but it's generally universally agreed upon that these writers worst work has been for Marvel's superheroes.
    Aaron and who else? I wouldn't say it was their worst works. It depends on what they're trying to write.

  9. #24
    Fantastic 4ever Kirby Krackle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    Wrong. You know that God Butcher storyline everyone loves so much? I had to stop reading it early on because even the sound effects didn't fit the tone.

    Different strokes and all of that. But, there's a reason why these hot writers are hot. They are given free reign to write whatever they want to whether it's appropriate for the characters or not. They DO NOT write different types of material within the Marvel Universe. Their works outside of Marvel may be different, but it's generally universally agreed upon that these writers worst work has been for Marvel's superheroes.
    I don't agree with you. Sorry.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

  10. #25
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Battlepizza (aka - Cattleworld)
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Aaron and who else? I wouldn't say it was their worst works. It depends on what they're trying to write.
    The bolded part of your comment always baffles me when people mention this. These writers always seem to write in the same style no matter what they're working on - which is why I'm personally not surprised by the OP's reaction to the Star Wars comic. These writers tend to come off as being very one-dimensional.

    And, to clarify, when I say worst, I don't necessarily mean it in the absolute definition of the word, but most of the responses I've seen by most is that Marvel's hottest writer's crapout the biggest on Marvel titles. Their Indie works tend to get the most praise even though Marvel is a high-profile writing gig.

  11. #26
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Ill say this much, if one goes into the Marvel Star Wars stories with the same thoughts as the Dark Horse stories, you will be some what disappointed. Dark Horse had a LOT to work with, including a LOT of freedom in regard of expanding the universe and characters to use. The problem for Marvel now is what the issue was in the past when it had Star Wars years ago, they have a limited area of the universe to work with. There is no EU, marvel can't use Mara, or Thrawn, or the Chriss, or Han's buddies, or Boba Fett, or the twins, or any cool character's that were created during the EU. They can only use characters from the main four movies and the Rebels series, and probably the clone wars (unless that's not in continuity anymore, but I think it is because it's still owned by Lucus Arts right?) and what little they had from the Marvel Star Wars comics from earlier.

    Are they doing well for being handicapped with only the Prequels and the four movies, I suppose, will this severely limit the writers in the future. Yes!
    They can always invent stuff, i hope the Leia mini will be more original. I hope it will become an ongoing.

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    They can always invent stuff, i hope the Leia mini will be more original. I hope it will become an ongoing.
    True enough, but it has to fit into the Universe they have right now and they can't cover certain areas. Even though Lucas isn't in charge anymore directly the staff he set up to be in charge of the Lucas arts area I think still is heavily involved in all things Star Wars. So they probably have final say what goes in and out of the comics. Sure they can invent stuff but it would have to be okayed by the creative management group, same thing happened with Dark Horse when they had it. All the EU stuff had to be filtered before it could even see print.

  13. #28
    Veteran Member shgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Romus5 View Post
    To me, every writer should ask himself, would this be cool if I was watching a movie?
    That is awful advice for a writer, no offence. Films are not the apotheosis of storytelling, as much as I love them. What is good for one medium is not necessarily good for another. Besides, any writer who is writing thinking 'this would be cool' probably sucks at their job.

    As for the actual content of the comic, I'm not sure it is so much more lighthearted than the original trilogy, it just packs all it's humour into a much shorter space.

  14. #29
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    5,774

    Default

    The book has been lots of fun.

    I don't agree with the OP at all.

  15. #30
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    Wrong. You know that God Butcher storyline everyone loves so much? I had to stop reading it early on because even the sound effects didn't fit the tone.

    Different strokes and all of that. But, there's a reason why these hot writers are hot. They are given free reign to write whatever they want to whether it's appropriate for the characters or not. They DO NOT write different types of material within the Marvel Universe. Their works outside of Marvel may be different, but it's generally universally agreed upon that these writers worst work has been for Marvel's superheroes.
    No, not at all. As you say yourself, disliking "that God Butcher storyline everyone loves so much" leaves you on the outside of popular opinion. Aaron's Thor run will go down as one of the definitive runs on the book.

    As for SW, so far, so good. It's a lot of fun and Aaron's nailing the character's voices. That's pretty much what I'm looking for in that book.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •