Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    I haven't read Scalped or Southern Bastards yet, but can those be described as wacky too? Cause for some reason I really doubt it.
    You can do both.
    southern bastards is wacky lol

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    That is awful advice for a writer, no offence. Films are not the apotheosis of storytelling, as much as I love them. What is good for one medium is not necessarily good for another. Besides, any writer who is writing thinking 'this would be cool' probably sucks at their job.

As for the actual content of the comic, I'm not sure it is so much more lighthearted than the original trilogy, it just packs all it's humour into a much shorter space.
    I think Comic books of the modern age strive to be read like a tv show....

Quote Originally Posted by Venom2099 View Post
    I started reading star wars comics with brian woods star wars from the last year and a half or so....this is already better.
    Point of order: that Brian Wood series was awful though. You started with the bar REALLY low.

I'm just wondering how the book is gonna handle stuff when it actually approaches Empires Strikes Back. You know the only reason it's happening between 4 and 5 is because Han Solo is still around.

I just think they should make the books of more peripheral characters like the Bounty Hunters. That I want to read.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    True enough, but it has to fit into the Universe they have right now and they can't cover certain areas. Even though Lucas isn't in charge anymore directly the staff he set up to be in charge of the Lucas arts area I think still is heavily involved in all things Star Wars. So they probably have final say what goes in and out of the comics. Sure they can invent stuff but it would have to be okayed by the creative management group, same thing happened with Dark Horse when they had it. All the EU stuff had to be filtered before it could even see print.
    Any source about the Lucas being involved? Besides Otrander war running Republic as the PT was coming out and we had awesome stories. Writers can find a way, even if they are constrained.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post

I just think they should make the books of more peripheral characters like the Bounty Hunters. That I want to read.
    They are not DH, so they will keep everythhing safe and boring. They would only consider that if the comics are really selling well.

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    They are not DH, so they will keep everythhing safe and boring. They would only consider that if the comics are really selling well.
    They inflated Star Wars' sales to over a million with variant covers, of course it's gonna spawn a lot of sequels.

Still haven't read #2...

I've been enjoying it so far. Very fun. Would love to see them expand beyond the main characters though like the excellent Star Wars Legacy series did at Dark Horse. I'm going to presume that they'll do that at some point and hopefully we can see stuff that isn't just tie-ins to other media (like Kanan is a tie-in to Clone Wars) further down the line. It's early stages though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    They inflated Star Wars' sales to over a million with variant covers, of course it's gonna spawn a lot of sequels.
    Will they if the flagship series really drops off?

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    Will they if the flagship series really drops off?
    They're making more Spider-Man spinoff comics.

I think what bugs me about this book is that it's trying to convince me that "THIS HAPPENED BETWEEN A NEW HOPE AND EMPIRES STRIKES BACK" and yet it feels too over the top. The dialogue just feels so grand and big, and you get these crazy displays of force powers and Han stealing an AT-AT, and Luke is fighting Darth Vadar, and you're telling me this canonically happens before Empires Strikes Back? Is this book just gonna end with Han, Luke, Leia all retreating to Hoth?

I would have rather seen them explore side/new characters then exclaimed "These are the wacky adventures between the Star Wars movies!"

BANNED

I assume Spidey is selling well...

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Haven't even read the 1st issue yet, but as a fan of the novels, I don't have every high hopes for this. I'm pretty sure that loosing the Zahn creations alone will end up making the reboot not worth the effort. And I not a fan of trying to force stuff in between NH and ESB. It makes it seem like the Rebels had way more resources than they're supposed to have.
    Cyclops was right

Spectacular Member

It's a kids franchise, so I'm not surprised it's as slapstick as the OP makes it out to be.

Just read the Legends continuity if you want something in the range of mature to grimdark.

I enjoyed it; but is this supposed to be considered canon now? There were some things that really bothered me like Luke's hands, the whole father/son/who blew up my death star questions that I thought were answered. And didn't Vader die on the deathstar without his helmet on and they immediately burned his armor and he shouldn't get it back until they find it in the upcoming movie.