Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think she would have found a middle ground between Logan's 'let the kids have lives' plan (which would have been better in the long term if someone else had been running it) and Scott's 'if we run now we'll always be running' view (which was the one that was right in the moment, although not the best long-term). At least, she would have if she had been both alive and in character. That second part is often asking for too much nowadays, especially when the word 'event' has been spoken.
    Very true...almost makes me glad Jean hasn't been around for all of the character assassination of the past decade...there's no telling what they would have done to her.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Like others, I don't think Schism would have happened if Jean was still around. When the X-Men basically turned their backs on Xavier and started doing things their own way, there was a power vacuum. Wolverine, who never got along with Cyclops all that great because of Jean, wasn't going to follow quietly too much longer. Cyke, becoming more militaristic by the year wouldn't have put up with Wolvies insubordination forever. I say this putting all the instances between them aside.

Jean was the intermediary. The peace keeper. She wouldn't have let Wolverine storm out, she wouldn't have let Cyclops dismiss his opinions/concerns. Beast wouldn't have felt like the only voice of reason. Storm would have backed her up, thus everyone else would have stayed in line. Its a chain reaction.

Let's say it still happened. I think it would have changed who have stayed and gone. Storm might have gone with Wolverine seeing as Jean was there to help Scott in her stead... Or for a twist, Jean would have gone with Wolverine, making the schism all the worse. Who's to say if Jean had lived through it all, she and Cyke would have stayed married? Marvel isn't a afraid to break up a marriage.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Fantastic Member

If Jean was still alive ... as the school would be called?

I think that if Jean would have been around, there wouldnt have been Schism, but im pretty sure there would be a lot of anti-air artillery around the school, just in the case that SHIELD or the Avengers decided to take a "visit".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by v_jeovanne View Post
    If Jean was still alive ... as the school would be called?
    Xavier was alive when the school was originally named after him.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cwatz View Post
    Assuming Jean would have impacted all the schism business isn't much a leap, or an out of left field view. I would say its a relatively common thought.
    This thread is about Jean choosing a side. Most of the comments so far have been some variation of "But there wouldn't have been a Schism had she been around, so she wouldn't have to choose". Total cop-out.

I don't get it. Why would Jean fans/advocates want her to become the new Nightcrawler?
    Last edited by FluffyCyclopsRLZ; 02-09-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Fantastic Member

My question is focused on as an official school. Absolutely hate the idea of Schism, but somehow understand the approach we tried to give suppose. The name evokes not only a blow to the face of Scott also represented a certain ideal or philosophy of education. Both neglected (the memory of Jean and basic education) by the mutant leader.
    Xavier no longer represents that ideal for obvious reasons. And certainly mutant evoked immense nostalgia.
    Therefore wondered if Jean was still alive as the school would be called, I find another mutant with the burden of sentimentality.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    It's funny because Jean is actually twiddling her thumb on the pronounced hand as a manner of conducting her powers to pitch in. She needs to work on her grammar or at least have a few less Jager Bombs before coming into work. It's make her sound like a comic book character or something.

@MarvelMaster616: Honestly (not sure about seriously though) I think it would be moot. Reasoning is if Jean was present she would also be for AvX, and the Phoenix would come for her and we know were that goes. Else she's present so she already has the PF and there is no Hope thus no story and no Schism. Either way the presence of Jean at the time in canon I believe would change things so drastically that we would never find that point in the canon even happening as her no longer being present was a big part of the why things got to where they were.
    The extended saga of Hope Summers, which seems to have been all about creating a proxy for Jean, would have been completely irrelevant had Jean herself been there. (Rachel, too.) I'd suggest that whole great sweeping arc would have been aborted, and that the character of Hope Summers would either not have come about or would have ended up being a very different sort of character. (The first new mutant, perhaps, but the messiah?)

If we did end up having a single, stable host for the Phoenix Force, then the end of "No More Mutants" could have come about much more quickly. Where would the dramatic tension have come from? Maybe the Avengers would try to prevent Jean Grey from becoming that host while the X-Men would try to make her that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    This thread is about Jean choosing a side. Most of the comments so far have been some variation of "But there wouldn't have been a Schism had she been around, so she wouldn't have to choose". Total cop-out.

I don't get it. Why would Jean fans/advocates want her to become the new Nightcrawler?
    Is that a fair criticism? People who have suggested that, with Jean Grey present, the tensions and differences between the two groups of X-Men which erupted in Schism would not have. Someone who was close with Cyclops and Storm and Wolverine and Beast could plausibly have mediated.

All that said, if it came down to it I think that Jean might well side with Utopia. Closeness with Scott aside, she can be quite ferocious in defense of her fellow mutants.

She would have followed Storm.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by icantstandthisindecision View Post
    I don't think Morrison's Jean would have went with Logan. In fact, I'm fairly certain that she wouldn't have under the hypocritical ideals he was trying to represent. I think Claremont's and Simonson's Jean would have found some kind of middle ground between the two.
    If you look at the trajectory of New X-Men, it seems fairly clear to me that without Xorn inflicting his planetary-level stroke on Jean that Scott and Jean would have stayed together, at least for a while. Scott was apparently going to choose Jean over Emma, and would have left Emma even after Jean's death had Jean not did whatever she did. Jean's flirted with Wolverine on a couple of occasions, but both times it seems to have stopped short. The two would definitely have had to work on their relationship after Planet X, but I think that could have been done. Would Morrison have been the one to do it? Better him than Casey, I suppose.

Their marriage might have survived; it might not have. All depends on what the writers would think is a good story.

Related note: Would there have been a place for Emma? She seems to have been on the verge of leaving the X-Mansion before Xorn's masterstroke. Would she have left had Jean stayed alive and stayed with Scott? I suspect so, unless something new could be found for her. (Emma and Beast? Emma and Wolverine? Emma as kick-ass diamond telepath?)

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I'd agree. Jean being there pretty much gets rid of AvX and Schism would've been Lolnoped!
    In that case, maybe the better question is "If Jean came back now, what would she do/ which school would she join?"

I think she will be in New Xavier School and the following will happen:
    - She will think Scott's side needs more help (be it in guidance or manpower)
    - Ororo will try to end the schism but the schism might actually help the mutant community as a whole. The mutant haters focus on Scott's side while JGS will continue to be (relatively) safe. As long as they externally maintain a schism, even if they mend the wounds internally, SHIELD and others will focus on Scott's team instead of the JGS, which will protect the school.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RandyMcDonald View Post
    Is that a fair criticism?
    Of course it is. The thread's very title is a yes-no question.

All that said, if it came down to it I think that Jean might well side with Utopia. Closeness with Scott aside, she can be quite ferocious in defense of her fellow mutants.
    That was before Scott hurt her feelings, though. Just think of all Jean's feats/interventions ever since. They all end up with Cyclops getting screwed over big time in the long run. No way it's a coincidence.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be hilarious if it was revealed that actually meant to help Cyclops, but kept screwing up. It just doesn't seem very likely, really.

Fantastic Member

If you look at the trajectory of New X-Men, it seems fairly clear to me that without Xorn inflicting his planetary-level stroke on Jean that Scott and Jean would have stayed together, at least for a while. Scott was apparently going to choose Jean over Emma, and would have left Emma even after Jean's death had Jean not did whatever she did. Jean's flirted with Wolverine on a couple of occasions, but both times it seems to have stopped short. The two would definitely have had to work on their relationship after Planet X, but I think that could have been done. Would Morrison have been the one to do it? Better him than Casey, I suppose.

Their marriage might have survived; it might not have. All depends on what the writers would think is a good story.

Related note: Would there have been a place for Emma? She seems to have been on the verge of leaving the X-Mansion before Xorn's masterstroke. Would she have left had Jean stayed alive and stayed with Scott? I suspect so, unless something new could be found for her. (Emma and Beast? Emma and Wolverine? Emma as kick-ass diamond telepath?)
    It's funny because since it happened that situation hostel theory that actually how the marriage of those two continued, was the way he expressed with Emma. A much more graphic, because they are almost always showed (a Jean and Scott) tenderly put it in a way, although it is true that passed through various stages in their relationship, they needed a more mature image, but with the decision Quesada get rid Jean's image turned towards the blonde.

Incredible Member

I belong to Quora, a very interesting question-and-answer site. There, it's perfectly acceptable to point out that a question is flawed in some way. In this particular case, it's quite plausible that with Jean exerting her leadership skills the team would not have split.

Is that actually the case with her interventions? What about--say--her helping Emma during the Sisterhood series? During AvX, she also seems to have talked him down when he was going Dark Phoenix.

The relationship might well not have survived.