Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default What are your Top 5 favorite DC Graphic Novels/Story Arcs of all time?

Post your top 5 (at least try) and explain what moves you about the story and compels you to re-read it time and time again.

For me it probably goes:

1.Kingdom Come
    2.Superman: Red Son
    3.The Flash: Rogue War
    4.The Flash: The Secret of Barry Allen
    5.Identity Crisis

Honorable Mentions:

Batman: The Long Halloween/Dark Victory/Haunted Knight, Justice (Alex Ross), Infinite Crisis, Green Arrow: Year One, and probably some other ones I can't remember at the moment.

My reasons:

Kingdom Come presents, to me, a really believable future in which the personality cleavages between the characters known to us as reconcilable become unsustainable. And not only the ones between the characters, but the ones between superheroes and the global community. Seeing Bruce broken in recluse and Superman aged into indecisiveness, Aquaman fully embracing his role as a king first while the Flash becomes a solitary omni-present being, these all really bring out the extremes of their essential personas. You get the sense that over time, their previously existing differences have come to a head, and events which shattered their self-image caused them to retreat into bitterness and delve into their comfort zones, allowing a new generation to challenge the validity of mere righteousness itself as the guiding hand for the Justice League, a team built to protect and better the world. And the illustrations are simply gorgeous. The biblical epic scale of what happens and the themes it invokes, such as Captain Marvel's ultimate role in the story as the man with a foot in each plane of existence, are all enhanced by the photo-realism of Alex Ross. A true epic that asks what it means to be a hero, and what it means to be a super-hero in our human world where moral choices aren't always possible and we carry the outcomes of those defining choices for the rest of our lives. Alex Ross loves to mythologize the classic Silver Age, and here he takes us one creative step further in his story telling by making Silver Age morality confront the depraved capacity of their enemies as well as their own selves.

Red Son is a personal favorite for a variety of reasons. A principal one is the way in which politics and the Cold War environment re-imagines and re-contextualizes iconic DC characters. I am a student of Marxist theory and the history of the USSR, so to imagine that era through the lens of a Soviet Superman, an Anarchist Batman, a tortured POW Hal Jordan, an aligned Wonder Woman, a fiercely ambitious President Luthor was something I found very compelling. Unlike most comic books, here, politics become impossible to ignore, and it makes me ask myself what I might want to achieve in society were I a super-powered being beyond the usual crime-fighting villain-battling stories that can afford to be largely de-politicized, and what the consequences might be for humanity. I also enjoy the fleshed out "defeat the Alien for humanity's sake" motivation that Luthor has; in this context, it almost makes him a hero, rather than a villain, and it's always been my most preferred Lex Luthor raison d'etre.

Rogue War is one of my favorites in large part due to just how baddass the Rogues are. They're an often overlooked set of villains who I find to be some of the most relatable. They're not quite psychotic, as Batman's Rogues are, but they're also not power-hungry or out on some grandiose quest or personal vendetta, like many others might be. They simply want to out smart the Flash, get whatever it is they want, and get it their way, while relying on each other as a sort of dysfunctional family to replace their own broken families. They could try and take over the world with what they can do, but they don't. They're smarter than to try. These are the type of villains who earn your respect and make you not just admire them, but even root for them. Cold's pragmatic leadership is the glue that holds them together and the way he keeps them in line seems not unlike what you'd imagine a real life mob enforcer doing when running a tight ship. Yeah, they're bad, but they have rules, and those rules stem from very human considerations.

Now, I can't talk about Rogue War without also talking about The Secret of Barry Allen, which did for Wally West what it did for the Rogues: it cemented why he does what he does, and what the Flash legacy means to him. In reflecting on his own personal struggles and evaluating his commitments to the many people he cares about-whether its his wife, his Flash family, or the League-he reminds us that the Flash is not about tragedy, it's about doing the right thing and being a symbol of hope that remains accessible and present. I also love how we get to go inside Wally's mind as he relays his experiences of living and thinking at super-speed. Being fast is more than just running and spinning and fighting in the blink of an eye, it's also being lonely with your thoughts, having your patience tried in daily moments, and needing to control your focus and not let your abilities completely absorb your consciousness, especially in times of stress.

And of course, the Secret of Barry Allen follows the famous Identity Crisis. As you can tell by now, I value stories that really strike at the core of a character and their relationship to other characters (though that's not to say I'm anything unique; I doubt there are many if any among you who don't value the same thing). In Identity Crisis, the Justice League feels like a family with a long history, as it should. Green Arrow's narration especially allows readers to digest Clark, Bruce, Carter, Zatanna without compromising their larger-than-life presence and the aura created by their inhuman capabilities. And while this is a very modern story, we feel the layered weight of the League's past. This isn't the first time this family feels loss, and it's not the first time they keep secrets from each other. What makes this story special is that, an event that could be seen as trivial on the scale of comic books' many crises and catastrophes and threats to the Universe feels so viscerally personal. It shakes the League to its core and makes them all more afraid than they've possibly ever been, and you're right there with them, feeling the fear and pain that stops you from feeling secure in the extra-literary confidence that the story can't ever get too tragic, or that certain characters simply can't die or will be brought back. One never fails to recognize the individuality underlining the dialogue surrounding this suspense thriller and it's what makes this a DC Comics classic and an essential Justice League story.

Well, that was a lot. So thanks for reading and I look forward to reading about your picks.
    Last edited by Lightning Rider; 02-08-2015 at 11:16 PM.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

My 5 favorites (not in order) are

Green Arrow Longbow Hunters
    Skreemer
    Spectre Reaver Saga
    Animal Man #1-4 (Morrison)
    Does Wildstorm count? If it does my 5th would be Sleeper if it doesn't I'd choose Batman Year One.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

there was a thread similar to this relatively recently, and but I don't think we were given the challenge of narrowing it to 5! This'll be dang near impossible... There's almost an exact 10 or so that always stick out in my head. Maybe more now w/ Azz's WW run being finalized. And yeah, I'm assuming longform counts in this case.

I won't say these are my Top 5 favorite per se, b/c I'm not even sure I know how to quantify that. But I'll say these are the Top 5 that stick out the most to me (positively) for whatever variety of reasons.

It's a real toughy, but my Top 5 DCU (no Vertigo derp arguments, plz) story/arcs are in alphabetical order:

All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely
    This isn't my favorite Superman story (barely makes Top 5 in that category, I think), but I do acknowledge how much of a masterpiece it is. If any new comic reader asked me to recommend them a great Superman story, this would be the first to come to mind.

The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
    I think the first Batman story I read as a kid. I think also the first TPB I re-read, I enjoyed it so much. I was seriously like 8 or 9 when I read it and I wonder how much of it I "got". I'd like to think quite a lot, actually. But, I was just a kid in awe at how good it was. I've actually been itching to re-read it recently. It's been at least 10~15 years since my last re-reading...

Kingdom Come by Mark Waid & Alex Ross
    I think the first big DC story I read as a kid, and as it was being released. I fell in love w/ it. Like TDKR, I was an 11-year old just completely wowed. Not sure how much I'd like it if I read it for the first time now as an adult. Not sure how much I'd like it re-reading it as an adult, either. But it'll always hold a special place in my heart.

Saga of the Swamp Thing by Alan Moore & various artists
    This is the like the opposite of Kingdom Come for me. Being an adult, going into reading a classic for the first time and having expectations, you kind of take a different approach to reading something than if you read it as it was new or as a kid. I almost actually would like to think I appreciate this more reading it as an adult reading a classic for the first time.

Seven Soldiers of Victory by Grant Morrison & various artists
    It was kind of between this and Animal Man as both just had a lot of great Morrison-esque moments. While I think Animal Man was more profound, I think I ultimately picked this for the art variety, character variety, and moments that just kind of made me pause and take in what I just read. And it was so masterfully tied together.

edit:
    I'd like to have included various parts of Morrison's Batman epic, but I didn't like the idea fragmenting it. While I thought a few segments (Batman RIP, Batman & Robin, Batman Inc) were worthy of Top 5, I considered the entire Morrison run which I felt wasn't Top 5 worthy. I mean, I really wanted to include Morrison's Batman & Robin...oh well!
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 02-09-2015 at 01:52 AM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

In no particular order. (Be prepared for some strange choices):
    Kingdom Come
    Red Son
    Batman and Robin: Born to Kill
    Earth 2: The Tower of Fate
    Final Crisis
    Last edited by Mighty Roman; 02-09-2015 at 03:24 AM.
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

All-New Member

1. The Dark Knight Returns
    2. Batman: Year One
    3. Kingdom Come
    4. Superman: Birthright
    5. Watchmen

I've read through the first two volumes of Saga of the Swamp Thing and loved them but want to read it all before I possibly include it on the list.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Sticking personally to the DCU and excluding entire runs

1. All-Star Superman (It's the best thing, period)
    2. DC: The New Frontier (Neck and neck with Kingdom Come for "favorite big DCU story", and that's ethically problematic in ways this isn't nearly as much so)
    3. Batman and Robin Must Die!/Return of Bruce Wayne (really one story, and my favorite section of my favorite extended superhero run ever)
    4. Superman at the End of Days (it doesn't objectively belong in any "Top 5 DCU stories of all time" list in terms of quality but I love it, I love it so much)
    5. Seven Soldiers (with honestly some stiff competition from Final Crisis, and very possibly to be eclipsed by Multiversity by the time all's said and done there)
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Does Wildstorm count? If it does my 5th would be Sleeper if it doesn't I'd choose Batman Year One.
    For me it perpends on when it was created. Was it created after DC got the rights then yes. Di it happened before then no.

Quote Originally Posted by choosetimright View Post
    I've read through the first two volumes of Saga of the Swamp Thing and loved them but want to read it all before I possibly include it on the list.
    It is possible to include part of runs and not the entire run.

Hawkworld (Timothy Truman)
    Longbow Hunters (Mike Grell)
    Batman Year One (Frank Miller)
    Spectre 1-4 (John Ostrander)
    Animal Man 1-4 (Grant Morrison)
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 02-09-2015 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks guys, some interesting picks. Good to see Kingdom Come getting some love, I don't often see it celebrated with such high preference. I remember All Star Superman being very good but for some reason can't quite recall the specific story line. I'll have to get myself a copy and re-read it.

I completely forgot about Watchmen!! That would probably be in the top 2-3. Fantastic piece of literature.

Interested in seeing Final Crisis get a couple of shouts. Care to extrapolate?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Kingdom Come
    New Frontier
    All Star Superman
    Dark Knight Returns
    Great Darkness Saga

I'll "ignore" stuff that's outside DC's mainstream continuity like Preacher and Sandman (mind you guess some might argue Sandman was in main continuity??).

Hitman: Closing Time
    Thought the second half of Hitman was exceptional, and might go with any of last three story arcs as one of the 5. But I'm go with the very final one. Partly because its that rarity in DC mainstream comics... a definitive end. This is also the perfect riposte to those who believe Garth Ennis is a one trick pony, doing nothing but slapstick comedy. This was a well written classic tragedy (i.e. a deeply flawed character was doomed because of his good qualities, not because of his weaknesses.)

Tim Truman's Hawkworld.
    Best mainstream relaunch of an established DC hero ever.

James Robinson Starman "Sins of the Father"
    The heroic figure of Starman glides through the night... and is promptly shot dead. (And no, not another fake death.) This was a sensational opening to one of DC's great series, and the ramifications of the death rippled through all the following issues. I have seen some argue that not much happens in the opening arc... no this was a writer on top form demonstrating that the death of just one person will have a tremendous impact on family and friends. Much more touching, I feel, than epic DC fights where scores of "cannon fodder" disappear without trace.

Peter David's Supergirl: Many Happy Returns
    Another terrific end arc to a fine series. Though I do wonder if I partly like this so much because I read so much Silver age stuff in my long lost youth...it does poke affectionate fun at the Silver age.

Alan Moore's "Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow".
    Showing my Silver age bias again. This for me summed up a lot of what I loved about the Silver age Superman... his wonderful array of powers, his great intellect, his slight difficulty in managing his closest relationships, and his profound humility. On balance I think I prefer it to the other great Alan Moore Superman story ("For the Man who has everything")...no matter, both wonderful stories.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

No particular order: (and list subject to change, any day..might be slightly different)
    -All Star Superman
    -Morrison's Batman run - maybe I shouldn't include it, but so what, I am
    -Dark Knight Returns
    -Year One
    -The Killing Joke
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-09-2015 at 08:49 AM.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    For me it perpends on when it was created. Was it created after DC got the rights then yes. Di it happened before then no.

It is possible to include part of runs and not the entire run.

Hawkworld (Timothy Truman)
    Longbow Hunters (Mike Grell)
    Batman Year One (Frank Miller)
    Spectre 1-4 (John Ostrander)
    Animal Man 1-4 (Grant Morrison)
    Ha we really have the same taste! Hawkworld was one of my runner-ups.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

1. Hawkworld (Timothy Truman) - Bar none, the definitive Hawkman origin story, in my opinion. In addition to that, though, it's just a fantastic tale in and of itself. It's one of those books I go out of my way to read once a year, in fact. Hawkworld, too, is often overlooked by readers because Hawkman unfortunately isn't a very popular character, but for my money it's every bit of a classic as "Born Again" or The Dark Knight Returns are.

2. The Shadow War of Hawkman (Tony Isabella) - Mainly because it really captures the relationship between Katar and Shayera better than most stories featuring the two characters do. And Tony Isabella wasn't afraid to take some risks with it either, such as spoilers:
    killing off Mavis Trent, all the while keeping the reading thinking--very effectively so, too--that Shayera had been killed off.
    end of spoilers

3. Legend of the Hawkman (Ben Raab) - Like the above, Katar and Shayera's relationship is the focal point for me with this one. Just a great rendition of the characters and the mutual respect and love they garner for one another. It's also a nice elseworlds look at what Hawkman and his supporting cast might have looked like in a contemporary setting had DC decided to bring back Silver Age Katar instead of Carter for their then-current continuity.

4. Hawkman: Rise of the Golden Eagle (Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray) - Just a fun ride the whole way through, with tons of twists and turns, along with a good look at many often overlooked members of Hawkman's underrated rogues gallery. More than that, though, it really took a bold step forward with regards to the relationship between Carter and Kendra, something that was a real sticking point with me during Geoff Johns's tenure with the characters.

5. JSA: Black Reign (Geoff Johns) - A Justice Society of America yarn with Hawkman and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Hawkgirl featured at center stage. Hawkman's commanding presence and opposition to a very powerfully portrayed Black Adam are the highlights for me, but the entire team is well represented, too, I feel. Definitely the high-point for me of Johns's run on both Hawkman and JSA.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    5. JSA: Black Reign (Geoff Johns) - A Justice Society of America yarn with Hawkman and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Hawkgirl featured at center stage. Hawkman's commanding presence and opposition to a very powerfully portrayed Black Adam are the highlights for me, but the entire team is well represented, too, I feel. Definitely the high-point for me of Johns's run on both Hawkman and JSA.
    Ooh I should look into this one. I'm a fan of Johns's older work, appreciate Hawkman's presence, and love Black Adam as a character. Jay and Ted making appearances are tasty bonuses as well.

Favorite storyarc? Wow...so many...but if I had to narrow it down...

1. The Return of Barry Allen. The 'dead hero seemingly returns' has been done before, but not as eloquently as this. Surprises at every turn, and a great payoff at the end.

2. 'American Gothic'. Alan Moore re-invents Swamp Thing and takes him on a dark journey through the underside of the DCU, with John Constantine as his guide. Plus: Greatest. Crisis Crossover Issue. Ever.

3. World War 3. Grant Morrison's JLA endgame. I believe I wept when a certain character stood up during the moment every living being on Earth was granted super powers.
    Last edited by Montressor; 02-09-2015 at 02:22 PM.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/