Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Starting with Johns/Romita Jr?

Hi guys,
    This is more a general question than just a Superman question but anyway, I haven't picked up the previous 31 issues of Superman, and am considering starting with Johns and Romita's run with #32. I don't like starting runs random numbers into the series but I've heard the previous run of it was just bad. Is it worth hunting the other issues down at some point? Have any of you just bought a run and not bothered going back?
    I should note that I haven't been a Superman fan until recently with Unchained and I'm looking for another title for when it's over.
    Last edited by RawrJoey; 05-11-2014 at 05:23 AM.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by RawrJoey View Post
    Hi guys,
    This is more a general question than just a Superman question but anyway, I haven't picked up the previous 31 issues of Superman, and am considering starting with Johns and Romita's run with #32. I don't like starting runs random numbers into the series but I've heard the previous run of it was just bad. Is it worth hunting the other issues down at some point? Have any of you just bought a run and not bothered going back?
    I should note that I haven't been a Superman fan until recently with Unchained and I'm looking for another title for when it's over.
    I've dropped Superman several times. Picked up Superman #30 AGAIN to give it a shot and it was just, all over the place and didn't feel like a comic that had any types of cohesion whatsoever and that's now what you want before a crossover featuring Doomsday (will give it one last shot). Felt like the actual scraps once you throw something against the wall and hope it sticks.

I'd definitely start with the Johns/Romita run at #32. Johns is known to give a nice spark to a title, especially Superman and was the last writer on the title Pre-New52 that gave us a very good story before New Krypton fell apart.

Johns is back and his previews with Romita are fresh and it simply looks like a ton of fun. If you were to go back, maybe try out the 'H'EL on Earth' run in trade. Not only is Kenneth Rocarfort's art drop dead gorgeous, it gave an average story a must see by his art alone. Lobdell was mostly miss with great idea's that never fit together on the pages, but he wrote a great Krypton in the backup stories for what it's worth.

So, IMHO, definitely start with Superman #32 and give the Johns/Romita team a shot. If you were to go back, get the H'EL on Earth trades for Rocafort's art and Lobdells's solid interpretation of Krypton. Other than that, you can probably skip out on all the others.

Also, if you want a fantastic Superman title right now, get Action Comics #28-30. We are only 3 issue's in on Greg Pak's Action run (Action Comics is May 14th) and it's the best Super-titles in continuity right now.
    Last edited by Tra-EL; 05-11-2014 at 05:52 AM.

Start with 32..Also pick up Action comics 25 onwards.Although AC25 is a zero year tie in, it is still a good story with great art

Incredible Member

Its a new creative team with new storylines so you shouldn't have to go back to other issues of the Superman book, but as the previous post said, try Greg Pak's run on Action, which is only a few issues in, and either track down back issues of Snyder and Lee's Superman Unchained, or wait for the collected edition, which I believe at this point is scheduled for the end of the year.

Astonishing Member

Hi guys,
    Pick up the Morrison Action Comics, the Greg Pak Action Comics, the Pak Batman/Superman and the Soule Wonder Woman/Superman.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Pick up the Morrison Action Comics, the Greg Pak Action Comics, the Pak Batman/Superman and the Soule Wonder Woman/Superman.
    ^ Short...to the point. Boom; /thread lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    I've dropped Superman several times. Picked up Superman #30 AGAIN to give it a shot and it was just, all over the place and didn't feel like a comic that had any types of cohesion whatsoever and that's now what you want before a crossover featuring Doomsday (will give it one last shot). Felt like the actual scraps once you throw something against the wall and hope it sticks.

I'd definitely start with the Johns/Romita run at #32. Johns is known to give a nice spark to a title, especially Superman and was the last writer on the title Pre-New52 that gave us a very good story before New Krypton fell apart.

Johns is back and his previews with Romita are fresh and it simply looks like a ton of fun. If you were to go back, maybe try out the 'H'EL on Earth' run in trade. Not only is Kenneth Rocarfort's art drop dead gorgeous, it gave an average story a must see by his art alone. Lobdell was mostly miss with great idea's that never fit together on the pages, but he wrote a great Krypton in the backup stories for what it's worth.

So, IMHO, definitely start with Superman #32 and give the Johns/Romita team a shot. If you were to go back, get the H'EL on Earth trades for Rocafort's art and Lobdells's solid interpretation of Krypton. Other than that, you can probably skip out on all the others.

Also, if you want a fantastic Superman title right now, get Action Comics #28-30. We are only 3 issue's in on Greg Pak's Action run (Action Comics is May 14th) and it's the best Super-titles in continuity right now.
    See I've heard a lot of what you're saying by other people but I don't know, it just feels like something incomplete to me, not having the previous 30 issues. It feels like an incomplete run. I like to have the whole series, but clearly for Superman it isn't worth it. I think I'm going to start with 32 like Kryptoniac said but if I'm not too into the first arc, then I'll grab Action Comics instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoniac View Post
    Start with 32..Also pick up Action comics 25 onwards.Although AC25 is a zero year tie in, it is still a good story with great art
    I'll definitely check it out just like Tra-EL said, thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    Its a new creative team with new storylines so you shouldn't have to go back to other issues of the Superman book, but as the previous post said, try Greg Pak's run on Action, which is only a few issues in, and either track down back issues of Snyder and Lee's Superman Unchained, or wait for the collected edition, which I believe at this point is scheduled for the end of the year.
    Yeah I know, but like I said, it feels incomplete. I have this need to have the whole series starting from the beginning. It's in the same way that a lot of new comic fans were driven away back when Spidey was in the 600's and stuff. It's nice to have it from the start, I'm not missing anything. But yeah I have all of Unchained so far, the only Superman series I have.
    I've heard Batman/Superman is meh compared to Wonder Woman/Superman but at least I don't have much to catch up on. Thanks!

And if it helps give any of you backstory, I'm unaware of anything Pre-New 52, that's why I wanted to start from #1.

Yeah Superman #32 is the one to start with. I don't think the previous run was too bad, although it was at times very hit-or-miss.

Action Comics has been very solid since Pak and Kuder took the reigns.

Superman/ Wonder Woman has been consistently excellent since its launch -- not one bad issue yet!

BANNED

If you like Unchained, I'm not sure you will like Superman/wonder woman. Writing on Unchained is miles better than smww that I think is average in its best issues

Action might be something, but I think Johns/JR JR is more in line with Unchained 9at least from the preview and solicits)

I've heard Batman/Superman is meh compared to Wonder Woman/Superman but at least I don't have much to catch up on. Thanks!
    who told you this?

at leat the 4 first issues are very good and the first contact xover is quite good too. I heard good things about the last issue #10
    Last edited by Blacksun; 05-11-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Astonishing Member

I've heard Batman/Superman is meh compared to Wonder Woman/Superman
    IMO it's just as strong or possibly stronger than Wonder Woman/Superman. However its problem were the recent crossover with the inferior World's Finest by Paul Levitz and a fill-in issue by Lemire that was more a pilot for an Atom comic. But the rest of it is good and the annual is one of the few times that Philip Tan's atrocious art actually works for me. Really Wonder Woman/Superman is very much I guess a relationship comic while imo Batman/Superman under Pak is like Action Comics dealing with big themes and ideas.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 05-11-2014 at 08:30 PM.

That's definitely what I'm going to do! I dropped Lobdell's Superman a while back but I'm jumping right back on #32, can't wait for it!

BANNED

IMO it's just as strong or possibly stronger than Wonder Woman/Superman. However its problem were the recent crossover with the inferior World's Finest by Paul Levitz and a fill-in issue by Lemire that was more a pilot for an Atom comic. But the rest of it is good and the annual is one of the few times that Philip Tan's atrocious art actually works for me. Really Wonder Woman/Superman is very much I guess a relationship comic while imo Batman/Superman under Pak is like Action Comics dealing with big themes and ideas.
    the relationship is the weakest part of SMWW, bat/sup is superior because the writing is easy to create chemistry between the characters, no romance, more focus on the story. Good romance isn't for every writer out there.

Bat/sup I avoided the issues with art with brett booth, the story also seems weak.

Astonishing Member

At least there is more relationship between Superman and Wonder Woman in one book than there was in the last few years of the pre-FP Superman books between Lois and Clark.

BANNED

At least there is more relationship between Superman and Wonder Woman in one book than there was in the last few years of the pre-FP Superman books between Lois and Clark.
    haha don't need to remember me of this...Superman comics aer screw up even before reboot

Superman/Wonder Woman is the better title between it and Batman/Superman, but by no means whatsoever does that mean B/S is bad. It just fluxtuates more often in style and tone. In some ways it reads kinda like an anthology, one one can jump on or leave between arcs wherever they see fit.

Just know going into other titles that Superman won't be written like he was in Unchained. Unchained uses a more past continuity model despite its being in the current continuity. To some that's a positive, to me its a big negative. You'll just have to check it out and decide for yourself though, of course.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-12-2014 at 12:20 AM.