Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    That may be the point of comics Miles, but it doesn't have to be the point of movie Miles. Movies are not comics.

Peter Parker is not a real person. It's probably better to do right by actual humans who don't see themselves represented by positive role models in major media very often.
    And what an awesome character like Spider-Man to do that with. It's great that you get that on a human level without having read Ultimate Spider-Man, Dog. Speaking to what you said about basically being Peter Parker(ha) earlier, I believe a real Peter Parker would get it. Though I really suggest you read Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, they're great.

As a guy with a life long obsession with Spider-Man who loves Miles Morales as the wall-crawler, it's been great to see the outpour of love for the Morales man on Twitter & News sites.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by _underscore View Post
    That's something that -- much like the plight of the mutants -- never made much sense in the comics.
    It made plenty of sense. Mutants weren't some fluke accident, experiment, or some technological breakthrough.

Mutants are evolution. They are humanity's replacements as designated by nature. That's a rather terrifying prospect, especially when you consider the depths of the powers that some have. There isn't a single Avenger (currently in the MCU) who can stand up to the Phoenix. There's no one in the main Avengers title that you have to fear reading your thoughts and hi-jacking your pin number or identity.

Quote Originally Posted by _underscore View Post
    6 people want Miles.

6 very loud and obnoxious people. =)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Dona...er-Man&tbm=nws

That's a lot more than 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I agree. But, I don't think Miles should come before Parker just for that, not with Black Panther and Cyborg getting movies.
    Black Panther is the King of a forgotten and hidden African nation. It's representation in skin color, but not much else.

Cyborg is... well, a cyborg and the technological black superhero comic trope.
    Last edited by Justice; 02-10-2015 at 02:25 PM.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.

Peter or Miles, they've both got pros & cons. The way I see it:

Peter: 1) This is the Spidey everybody knows. 2) If the character is going to be used the same way as in the Civil War comic, you'd only ask an older, more experienced Spidey to take on this responsibility. There's no reason not to say that Spidey's adventures have been going on for a while, under the radar, and no need to confirm of deny those adventures to be what we've seen in previous Spidey films with details.

Miles: 1) May sync things with Marvel's upcoming plans for the comic. 2) Would be nice to be able to see a high school aged Spidey without retreading any of the old business from the last 2 franchises.

Best use, IMHO: imagine Marvel using only a masked Spidey in all pre-release date appearances, with no mention of casting or Peter or Miles. They can use Spidey as much or as little as they want in the movie, but they only need an actor to play him unmasked for the pivotal, unmasking scene and maybe one additional. Let us all learn not only whether Spidey is Peter or Miles, but who is cast in the part, right there on the screen in that moment. Again, story-wise I don't see them asking Miles to take the risk of unmasking as a new, young adventurer, plus once he's unmasked, how do you "put the genie back in the bottle"? But imagine the surprise, especially among the majority of moviegoers who don't know Miles from Adam, when Spidey's mask comes off and he's a black man underneath? But thinking long term (and the way the MCU is run, you've got to) it would probably be best to use Peter (using Garfield or Maguire if there's to be limited face time, Maguire of someone new if we're going to see more Peter), then having him die or retire in Civil War so that Miles story can start fresh in the new Spidey solo adventure. I'd rather save a Spidey death for Infinity War, but the new Spidey is slated for release before that.

I'm happy to see Spidey back at Marvel, and I expect him to thrive there, but there is one small downside that somebody else speculated on in a thread I read months ago. Studios are only going to release so many superhero movies a year. Having Spidey back at Marvel, they've already shuffled their schedule to accommodate. We can only wonder, if Marvel had Spidey all along, would we have gotten Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant Man. No need to go digging deep into the toybox for those B-Z list characters at the bottom when you've got your A list right there up top.

Doesn't the press release confirm that it'll be Peter Parker?

[...]"Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parker's story into the future," added Doug Belgrad, president, Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group.[...]

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaDan View Post
    Doesn't the press release confirm that it'll be Peter Parker?
    We know that, but fans of Miles really want to push his character and argue why it should be him, so we get this debate.
    I'd like to see him in a future Spidey movie, but only after Peter's had a few films or so.

BANNED

There is not to this day a compelling reason to replace Peter with Miles in the comic book. What on earth would be the compelling reason to do it in the movie?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    There is not to this day a compelling reason to replace Peter with Miles in the comic book. What on earth would be the compelling reason to do it in the movie?
    Thankfully, Brain Bendis knows what's better for Spider-Man than you

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Honestly, they can have both Peter and Miles. Hell, make the next Spider-Man film have Peter established but be an origin story for Miles and have them teaming up by the story's end.

Anyway, thing I'm most excited about is having OSCORP in the MCU, hopefully now with a better Norman Osborn at the helm. And numerous Spidey rogues showing up in places.

Spectacular Member superiorcrisis's Avatar

Since the MCU is the most famous Marvel Universe, I'd like Peter Parker to be Spider-Man, at least in the beginning, so that he could continue to be the main Spider-Man. I like Miles, but only as a replacement hero--not as Marvel's core hero.

I am excited to see Norman Osborn in the MCU, especially if they treat him like an Avengers villain, like during the Bendis era.
    What I'm buying: Justice League, Batman, Amazing Spider-Man and a bunch of back issues.

What I'm reading: Ultimate Spider-Man (2000)

Don't tell Willie

"Y'all." - Kevin Malone

Mighty Member

Here's an idea ... what if Peter as Spider-Man ... is KILLED in Cap 3 ... and THAT is what causes Stark to say, "These kids need registration and training." Miles takes up the mantle, sidles up with Stark as the truly responsible Spider-Man, but then learns the err of his ways in the climax.

majocsr

We can't remplace Peter by Miles, Logan lerman is the perfect choice #CharlyforSpydy #FromWallflowerToWallcrawler

Spectacular Member superiorcrisis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Here's an idea ... what if Peter as Spider-Man ... is KILLED in Cap 3 ... and THAT is what causes Stark to say, "These kids need registration and training." Miles takes up the mantle, sidles up with Stark as the truly responsible Spider-Man, but then learns the err of his ways in the climax.
    That would actually be pretty interesting.

But I still think Peter should have at least one MCU movie of his own. This idea would make the world see him as an incompetent buffoon.
    What I'm buying: Justice League, Batman, Amazing Spider-Man and a bunch of back issues.

What I'm reading: Ultimate Spider-Man (2000)

Don't tell Willie

"Y'all." - Kevin Malone

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    Yeah, I thought about that too.

As for Peter vs. Miles. I'd rather have Peter, for now, and then do the Miles thing in like Phase 5 or 6.

If they're gonna go with a high school Spidey (AGAIN), I really want an actor who actually looks that age.

I have faith that the first solo movie won't be a total origin story with Uncle Ben and all.
    Did they ever really have high school Spidey? The first movie he started in high school and did nothing with that fact. In ASM he was in high school, but again, very few of the high school kid's problems such as getting to class and the like.

I feel they really need to do what made spider-man such a classic in the first place. Making a young kid a hero with the problems of hiding his ID, ditching dates, making curfew, being picked on, doing homework, and dealing with super villains.

These things were barely touched on in any of the spider-man movies.

BTW, about hiding his ID, he could probably take Ironman in IM3 as an example as to why he NEEDs to keep his ID a secret. Ironman was publicly attacked at home, his girlfriend was abducted and turned into a human explosive.

Amazing Member

I am so sick to death of these statements about the disposability of Peter Parker from the mantle of Spider-Man. Yeah Bendis did something interesting in an experimental alternate universe and I've enjoyed it because it did not threaten the real Peter Parker/Spider-Man. It was harmless and made for good stories. Peter Parker is not disposable from the MCU or Sony. Miles can't replace him. Mile can supplement him if the Sony/MCU stories are done well and that should be it. Anyone that suggests that Peter Parker is disposable because the Ultimate Spider-Man is the most interesting thing about the Ultimate universe has no understanding of the importance of Peter Parker to who Spider-Man is.