Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post

Which first movie are you referring to? If you are talking about the Toby movie, he wasn't even really spider-man until a graduated high school.

If you are talking about the ASM movies, you are right, he was in high school, and he was a teenager, but it doesn't matter if that didn't factor into the story. It was window dressing and not essential to the story they were telling. As you said, we can assume he was doing teenage stuff is not the same as making it apart of the story and the character.

So again, we never really got a teenage Spider-man.

On an aside, I don't think they should do an origin movie. I think they should have Stan Lee narrate the origin in the first scene of the movie and maybe have some appropriate dramatic flashbacks. Otherwise we really do not need to know how or why he becomes Spider-man. At best it should be a notation in case we need to know something for the story.
    What movie am I talking about? Spider-Man directed by Sam Raimi. That movie did not suddenly jump from high school to his 3rd year in college. People are 18-19 years old for the first two years of college. So whether or not his being a teenager factored into the story, the fact is that he was still was a teenager. It's been done. Twice. I personally want an adult Spider-Man going forward but we're not going to get it.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 02-13-2015 at 05:58 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    What movie am I talking about? Spider-Man directed by Sam Raimi. That movie did not suddenly jump from high school to his 3rd year in college. People are 18-19 years old for the first two years of college. So whether or not his being a teenager factored into the story, the fact is that he was still was a teenager. It's been done. Twice. I personally want an adult Spider-Man going forward but we're not going to get it.
    First, let me rephrase because we seem to be hung up on the term "teenager." Instead we will say high schooler. IE some one that lives under the control and rules of a parental figure. He only became spider-man the hero once he left home and started living with Harry. This meant he never dealt with curfews and other restrictions high schoolers have to deal with.

Next, we don't know how long it was between high school graduation or what year he was in college by the time he became spider-man. It was long enough for him to contemplate what he wanted to do about his Uncle's death, create a spider-man costume, move out, get a job etc.... All we know it was sometime after high school. Even after that, they glossed over sometime as he became a superhero and started rescuing people. For all we know, he was 20 or more by the time he started fighting green goblin.

Not that it matters, because again the part that was missing was his having to juggle high school, being a kid, and being a super hero. There was nothing in any of the movies except for ASM 1, that suggested kid in high school, and even that was glossed over.

Fantastic Member

I'm just wondering why they can't seem to get past this boner they have about him being a teenager.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker Venom View Post
    I'm just wondering why they can't seem to get past this boner they have about him being a teenager.
    *Shrugs* Not that hard to understand. He was a teenager the entire run of Ultimate Spider-man, which is still considered to be one of the most accessible representations of Peter Parker in comics. Add to that Marvel's obvious desire to add a franchise that directly targets the younger teen demographic, instead of another adult hero that further carves up the attention of the 18-49 demographic they've already tapped with heroes like Tony Stark, Steve Rogers and Thor. There aren't a ton of high profile Marvel heroes that can stand in for the teen demographic and the next generation of 18-49 viewers, and given that we know Marvel always has one eye to the future, it only makes sense for them to want Spider-man to serve as the first in a next generation of Marvel heroes that teen audiences can grow up with long after RDJ has aged out as Iron Man.

A teenage white guy would help add some diversity to the 30- and 40-something white guys.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    A teenage white guy would help add some diversity to the 30- and 40-something white guys.
    LOL note I'm only speaking from the assumed perspective of Marvel's studio execs, based on the decisions they've already made when shaping their movie universe. Personally, I'd love to see a non-white Peter Parker like Dev Patel. (Hey, NYC has a huge Indian population). I just don't think for a second that's likely to happen. Not with Peter Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    LOL note I'm only speaking from the assumed perspective of Marvel's studio execs, based on the decisions they've already made when shaping their movie universe. Personally, I'd love to see a non-white Peter Parker like Dev Patel. (Hey, NYC has a huge Indian population). I just don't think for a second that's likely to happen. Not with Peter Parker.
    Out of curiosity, aside from altering race, or using Miles, is Miguel O'Hara partially Spanish/Latino/Irish, or something like that?

Looking at his name, anyway, and that could be a note of diversity therein, a new Spider-Man, setup, setting.

Though, it really is, I'd say, beteen Miles, for this, or Peter, for this, seeing from what I've read.

The future might be a big thing to start with, especially 2099.

And, age in of itself, nationality, skin colour, gender, what have you, aside, can be its' own diversity.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Out of curiosity, aside from altering race, or using Miles, is Miguel O'Hara partially Spanish/Latino/Irish, or something like that?

Looking at his name, anyway, and that could be a note of diversity therein, a new Spider-Man, setup, setting.

Though, it really is, I'd say, beteen Miles, for this, or Peter, for this, seeing from what I've read.

The future might be a big thing to start with, especially 2099.

And, age in of itself, nationality, skin colour, gender, what have you, aside, can be its' own diversity.

If Marvel is thinking about the future, I think going Peter Parker teenager, growing up before our eyes and then killing him off is the way to go. Then a new actor playing Miles can take over. Imagine the movie where Spider-man dies. That movie will make a ton of money. Plus the franchise can go on after the actor who plays spider-man wants to move on to other projects or is getting too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
    If Marvel is thinking about the future, I think going Peter Parker teenager, growing up before our eyes and then killing him off is the way to go. Then a new actor playing Miles can take over. Imagine the movie where Spider-man dies. That movie will make a ton of money. Plus the franchise can go on after the actor who plays spider-man wants to move on to other projects or is getting too old.
    Yeah. I just hope they would actually cast a teenager if they're going that route.

Astonishing Member

Quite disappointed in this entire ordeal. I enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 a lot and was really looking forward to see them finish their story. I appreciated how passionate Webb was about the Spider-Man mythology. I don't think we'll ever see a better comic book relationship than Gwen and Peter on the silver screen. Also, I'm not sure how they'll be able to tell the Sinister Six story if they have to start from scratch. Honestly, I don't really understand why Spidey needs to be in Civil War since he's not an established superhero in that universe. He could have been the perfect superhero to usher in Phase Four and above.

Ultimate Member

Given the complaints about how the MCU has been so overwhelmingly lily White and male-centric (they're JUST now getting around to having a female/minority-led film, and those have apparently been delayed so that we can get more Spider-Man), I'm not sure how throwing yet another lily White guy into to mix, teenager or not, is going to help in that regard. At least if it was Miles or Miguel it'd be something different.

BANNED

A shane because knowing marvel they were gonna recast garfield even if TASM 2 did well. I mean marvel always wanted a younger Peter Parker instead of post college Peter. That and there would also be some rights issues so garfield would be recast ed and they would still reboot it but for some reason continue the female spin-off the sinister six and venom which all had to be connected to SHIELD for some reason. Just once can a self contained series be acceptable?

Also miles isn't an option. Why would people suggest miles? He's popular now but a) you can't replace peter with miles since its not a good idea for him to steal his entire history and b) Peter has to die(which I don't want him to) first before miles becomes present. Peter is the reason miles took the mantle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Yet they all look 35 especially tobey and Bryce

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Given the complaints about how the MCU has been so overwhelmingly lily White and male-centric (they're JUST now getting around to having a female/minority-led film, and those have apparently been delayed so that we can get more Spider-Man), I'm not sure how throwing yet another lily White guy into to mix, teenager or not, is going to help in that regard. At least if it was Miles or Miguel it'd be something different.
    Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    A shane because knowing marvel they were gonna recast garfield even if TASM 2 did well. I mean marvel always wanted a younger Peter Parker instead of post college Peter. That and there would also be some rights issues so garfield would be recast ed and they would still reboot it but for some reason continue the female spin-off the sinister six and venom which all had to be connected to SHIELD for some reason. Just once can a self contained series be acceptable?

Also miles isn't an option. Why would people suggest miles? He's popular now but a) you can't replace peter with miles since its not a good idea for him to steal his entire history and b) Peter has to die(which I don't want him to) first before miles becomes present. Peter is the reason miles took the mantle.
    I had an idea that was risky but could have benefited both the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the Sony Spidey Verse. Have Peter Parker from Sony Spidey Verse go into the Marvel Cinematic Universe similar to Spider-Men. Come up with a story line to explain that Miles is the Spider-Man of the MCU rather than their Peter Parker. (Hell, they could have went House of M in that one with Uncle Ben still being alive and Peter Parker marrying Gwen Stacy.) This way the companies could have benefited with their own respected universes and story lines.