Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default MULTIVERSE Appreciation

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started this thread to talk about the multiverse, one of the cornerstone concepts of DC Comics. Right now th concept of multiverse, which was left behind after COIE (but always was still present throuth the Elseworlds tales concept) has made a strong return not only through the publication of Earth 2 and Forever evil, than features the existence of other worlds beyond the prime earth.
    We can count also the existence of Infinite crisis (the game) which uses the concept and expand some worlds. Also you can count the newly web series soon to be published.
    And naturally, don't forget Multiversity, which bring back some of the most known earths from the pre-COIE earths (and some others, a lot of them in fact) into play, under a Morrisonian lens.
    multiversity-tease.jpg

So talk about the earth more wanted, the universe more wished, who want you to see, what works and what not. Make a list of the worlds you wish to be contained in the multiverse, if you want.

Personally, I liked the Multiverse were not everybody is a reproduction of the main earth. There can be some hints, but I like more when each earth have his own identity and can interact with other characters, different from them. I still remember a old issue were Superman visited the world of Captain Marvel and everybody asked who were the guy in blue. Almost like a crossover between different editorials.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I love the Multiverse and am thrilled that it's such an important aspect of the New 52, as well as other DC comics, like Infinite Crisis. Marvel is also embracing a Multiverse, which is awesome.

I'd most like to see more of Earth-247 with the Zero Hour Legion.

I loved the original Multiverse. Even now, I can take solace in knowing the pre-Flashpoint DCU still exists out there somewhere.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Multiverse is the aspect I love the most about DC comics. The potential for great stories is huge!

The Multiverse is what sets DC apart from Marvel. Not only that, but it breeds some of the best stories.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Is that Cable of the X-Men with them?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Like others before me mentioned, Multiverse is awesome..it offers an opportunity to tell awesome stories without having to worry much about continuity (Well, messing up your favorite character, that is..writers still have to worry about following the continuity within that 'Earth').

DC is definitely fleshing out the concept...pushing it out and taking advantage of it, perhaps even more so than in the past.

Injustice is doing really well. Multiverse is coming out, along with Infinite Crisis.

Then there is the fact that WB/DC is devoting one animated movie (per year) to standalone movies (outside of new 52 animated continuity). Offers a chance to see animated adaptations of awesome titles such as Red Son.

And don't forget the movies. DC entertainment has made it clear that they are encouraging different and contradictory takes on each character (so, building a multiverse). Heck, we could argue that all they have done so far is part of the multiverse.

MOS and sequels as Earth Prime...Nolanverse as Earth 3 or 4...and so on.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I just hope Grant Morrison retcons me into having a better job.

My earth needs a little livening up.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Is that Cable of the X-Men with them?

No, that is Rip Hunter, then only called as Hunter as member of the Linear Men. Hypertime was another attemp to bring back the multiverse in the main comics, but was abandoned soon after Morrison and Waid went on other pastures. I mean, than a lot of writers make their efforts to bring back the multiverse dinamic (all those elseworlds published were their own universes) but only after almost 30 years, you can talk about a multiverse properly. I remember than Morrison talked in his time about a Hypercrisis, but those ideas evolved into Multiversity, the same as the Superman 2000 proposal evolved into All Star.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I remember than Morrison talked in his time about a Hypercrisis, but those ideas evolved into Multiversity, the same as the Superman 2000 proposal evolved into All Star.
    Hypercrisis actually evolved into a lot of stuff--there's some material from it in Mutliversity (presumably), All-Star, Final Crisis, and a few other places, even including Countdown. He's talked about it a couple times:

"My one regret about my brief falling out with DC after the 'Superman Incident' is that I didn't get to do my Hypercrisis series at DC to explain all this stuff and set up a whole new playground." said Morrison in a 2002 interview, "It's the one thing I could still be arsed doing with classical superheroes. If I ever go back, I'll explain the whole Hypertime thing and recreate the Challengers of the Unknown as Challengers: Beyond the Unknown. It's one thing I still want to do. It had a monster eating the first few years of the 21st century and Superman building a bridge across this gaping hole in time. A bridge made of events. The Guardians of The Multiverse and a new Green Lantern Corps made up of parallel reality Green Lanterns, the Superman Squad and the mystery of the Unknown Superman of 2150 etc, etc. There's a huge synopsis filled with outrageous stuff"

The second quote proves his capability to lie through his teeth, before his little 'tell-all' in Rolling Stone a few years later:

"It was originally in a thing called "Hyper-Crisis" which I pitched years ago, at the time when I was leaving X-Men — not to say Marvel is dead, 'cause it's a colossal industry, but for me it was kind of over, so I wanted to do this thing where everyone was standing at Captain Marvel's grave. I wanted to do this thing with the Chronovore, where he had eaten the first years of the 21st century, so there was no 21st century, and Superman and his allies had to build a bridge of events across this abyss. It means you have to go tell Batman, "if you don't do this, we're all gonna die, 'cause we need this event to be rivet 205." It was kind of interesting, but I'm glad they went with Identity Crisis instead."
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 05-16-2014 at 08:45 PM.

"...but I'm glad they went with Identity Crisis instead."

As if I needed another reason to dislike Identity Crisis.

I really wish DC would have let Morrison and Waid go through with their ideas as they envisioned. The story possibilities from that story alone would be great.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I'm just glad it's back; many people don't know or don't remember how seriously DC was in Multiverse denial between 1986 and 1998.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I just hope Grant Morrison retcons me into having a better job.

My earth needs a little livening up.
    The only thing Morrison can do for you is tell you to go to the desert and take peyote until you see aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Hypercrisis actually evolved into a lot of stuff--there's some material from it in Mutliversity (presumably), All-Star, Final Crisis, and a few other places, even including Countdown. He's talked about it a couple times:

"My one regret about my brief falling out with DC after the 'Superman Incident' is that I didn't get to do my Hypercrisis series at DC to explain all this stuff and set up a whole new playground." said Morrison in a 2002 interview, "It's the one thing I could still be arsed doing with classical superheroes. If I ever go back, I'll explain the whole Hypertime thing and recreate the Challengers of the Unknown as Challengers: Beyond the Unknown. It's one thing I still want to do. It had a monster eating the first few years of the 21st century and Superman building a bridge across this gaping hole in time. A bridge made of events. The Guardians of The Multiverse and a new Green Lantern Corps made up of parallel reality Green Lanterns, the Superman Squad and the mystery of the Unknown Superman of 2150 etc, etc. There's a huge synopsis filled with outrageous stuff"

The second quote proves his capability to lie through his teeth, before his little 'tell-all' in Rolling Stone a few years later:

"It was originally in a thing called "Hyper-Crisis" which I pitched years ago, at the time when I was leaving X-Men — not to say Marvel is dead, 'cause it's a colossal industry, but for me it was kind of over, so I wanted to do this thing where everyone was standing at Captain Marvel's grave. I wanted to do this thing with the Chronovore, where he had eaten the first years of the 21st century, so there was no 21st century, and Superman and his allies had to build a bridge of events across this abyss. It means you have to go tell Batman, "if you don't do this, we're all gonna die, 'cause we need this event to be rivet 205." It was kind of interesting, but I'm glad they went with Identity Crisis instead."
    Sorry, I don't see any contradiction.

Quote Originally Posted by teej View Post
    "...but I'm glad they went with Identity Crisis instead."

As if I needed another reason to dislike Identity Crisis.

I really wish DC would have let Morrison and Waid go through with their ideas as they envisioned. The story possibilities from that story alone would be great.
    Never think about the "what ifs", my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I'm just glad it's back; many people don't know or don't remember how seriously DC was in Multiverse denial between 1986 and 1998.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    That age finally ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorblax View Post
    The only thing Morrison can do for you is tell you to go to the desert and take peyote until you see aliens.
    He would never share his pot. Selfish guy.