Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default How come there are never any male counterparts or spin-offs of female superhero characters?

There's characters like Supergirl, Batgirl, Batwoman, Spider-Girl, Spider-Woman, Mary Marvel, She-Hulk, Stargirl, Hawkwoman, Silk, Spider-Gwen, Stature, Zatanna, Aquagirl, Miss Martian, Power Girl, etc., but you never the see opposite.

The only one that I know of is this guy:

Why is that?

Invincible Member

Well, Hank Pym did call himself "The Wasp" temporarily while Jan was gone. There's probably a few others that I can't recall off the top of my head.

But yeah...gender roles, double standards, etc etc

Maybe we should make some? ...Black Widower...he mates and he kills. ;-)

BANNED

Jean Grey has spawned quite a number of derivative characters, including but not limited to Cable, Stryfe, Nate Grey, Quentin Quire, and the Phoenix 5, in addition to the expected female spin-off heroes. The problem is that most female characters don't really have a strong enough central concept to be worth basing another character on, and if they do it is usually something tied to their sexuality or femininity that can't be easily replicated in a male character.

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    There's characters like Supergirl, Batgirl, Batwoman, Spider-Girl, Spider-Woman, Mary Marvel, She-Hulk, Stargirl, Hawkwoman, Silk, Spider-Gwen, Stature, Zatanna, Aquagirl, Miss Martian, Power Girl, etc., but you never the see opposite.

The only one that I know of is this guy:

Why is that?
    Well...most of the ladies you mentioned are already
    analogues of male characters, so by definition, they already have male counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Jean Grey has spawned quite a number of derivative characters, including but not limited to Cable, Stryfe, Nate Grey, Quentin Quire, and the Phoenix 5, in addition to the expected female spin-off heroes. The problem is that most female characters don't really have a strong enough central concept to be worth basing another character on, and if they do it is usually something tied to their sexuality or femininity that can't be easily replicated in a male character.
    Sounds logical.

Deadpool used to dress up like Jean Grey too. Guess she is a archetype or something. A role model maybe. Fashion forward at the very least.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

It's because the vast majority of major female characters at the big two are derivatives themselves. So a derivative of a derivative is kind of redundant. A Wonderboy might be interesting though.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Astonishing Member

I've been saying for a while now that a wonder boy would be an awesome idea.

BANNED

Sexism, next question.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I'm not sure QQ counts, plus Stryfe is a clone of Cable. Also, the Phoenix Five were already-established characters that borrowed powers from somewhere else (I consider the Phoenix Force sort of like a Green Lantern ring).

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Well...most of the ladies you mentioned are already
    analogues of male characters, so by definition, they already have male counterparts.
    I meant based on female characters, hence "spin-offs"

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But yeah...gender roles, double standards, etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Sexism, next question.
    That simple, huh?

Of course that simple. And that complicated. It's systematic sexism for decades, by the publishers and the buying audience. Most of the female heroes are derivatives of male heroes. The dearth of "unconnected" female heroes greatly reduces the chance that someone's going to "reverse gender" them in a commercial manner.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

BANNED

I would argue that most female spinoffs are worse than derivatives, they're diminutive versions of male heroes. Designed to take a lesser, inferior role.

Unequal attitudes wouldn't allow audiences to accept treating a man like that, except as a joke, so that's why you don't see it.

Perhaps. I don't exactly see "derivative" as a compliment, but you have a point.
    'Dox out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I would argue that most female spinoffs are worse than derivatives, they're diminutive versions of male heroes. Designed to take a lesser, inferior role.

Unequal attitudes wouldn't allow audiences to accept treating a man like that, except as a joke, so that's why you don't see it.
    It's not really as bad as all that. There are plenty of male characters in comics earmarked for secondary roles that are not designed to fit the heroic ideal or be the center of a story, there's certainly no requirement that every single man in comics be a square jawed alpha male who doesn't take no guff from no one.

And the reason that there are so many female spinoff characters is that it's quite an easy way to get some good publicity for the company without having to be terribly creative. Everyone cheered and supported the introduction of the female Thor, if they had put the same push behind an original character like, say, Tigra, would anyone have cared?