Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Glad this is over. Somewhere along the way, Dan Slott lost track about how Spider-Man works best in street level stories, and its just month after month of this empty calorie spectacle.
    This simply isn't true. Spider-Island was proof of that. Spider-Verse was good too. The ending was disappointing but it was overall very solid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    That's why I think he needs to take a long look in the mirror and seriously think about that.

It reminds me of the post-Return of Barry Allen years of Mark Waid's Flash. He started to rehash the same plot beats, he tried to do BIG EVENTS to top his old ones to diminishing returns, the cast grew so unwieldy he forgot about the main character...the book had been in decline for years. He had to call audibles from other writers like Slott does with Gage. After years of lesser and lesser Flash stories, even if sales never dropped off entirely, Waid stepped away. He realized that he long ago did all the best stories he could with the character, and he passed the mantle to someone new and excited about the Flash in Geoff Johns, who had his own great run on the book.

Maybe its the lost of Steve Wacker and his ideas, maybe its spreading himself too thin from Silver Surfer and various mini-series, maybe he's already done all his best stories, but this book has mediocre for damn near TWO YEARS worth of issues, if we're including Superior Spider-Man's Goblin Nation and its faceplant finale. Spider-Verse is a like a bigger, poorer version of Spider-Island, Learning to Crawl wasn't even in the same league as "I'm with Stupid", and even his "smaller" pale in comparison to "Paperdoll", "Mysteriso" "Brand New Day" "Return of the Wraith/Anti-Venom" "Great Heights" "Return of the Spider-Slayers", etc.

Sometimes you gotta know when its time to step aside, even if its your dream job and even if sales are good, just for the sake of the character. Cuz Peter Parker deserves better than the past couple years of junk he's gotten from Dan Slott.
    100% agreed--Amazing Spider-man hasn't been interesting or readable to me since before the "Ends of the Earth" arc, personally. And IMO it took a major nosedive in quality around the time of the Alpha arc which it hasn't recovered from.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    100% agreed--Amazing Spider-man hasn't been interesting or readable to me since before the "Ends of the Earth" arc, personally. And IMO it took a major nosedive in quality around the time of the Alpha arc which it hasn't recovered from.
    I'm still at a loss at what Slott was trying to accomplish with Alpha..? And tying it to Spidey's 50th anniversary was again, extremely underwhelming.

- Jason G. Carr

BANNED

Alpha was seriously the worst Spider-Man story Slott has ever done. And for the 50th anniversary too...

character faded away into a Trivial Pursuit question

Ultimate Member

Yeah, he was a gigantic waste of paper/ink. They haven't really done anything with him since, and that arc also made Peter look pretty bad as well.