Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Wolverines #6 (Spoilers!)

The issue picks up with the preview. Storm issues her ultimatum to Sinister, and Sinister decides to take Neuro up on his offer, over Shogun's objections. Sinister gains control of Deathstrike and sends her against the X-Men, but X, Sabretooth and Mystique are a bit smarter; Laura and Creed put out their own ears with their claws while Mystique outright closes hers off -- the trigger words don't work if you're unable to hear them. Neuro is flabbergasted, apparently having not even CONSIDERED the Wolverines might have a plan to protect themselves if necessary, and Shogun hangs a pretty big lampshade on the fact that for all his smarts, Neuro can be really, REALLY stupid.

While the X-Men and Wolverines aren't exactly working together, it still goes downhill FAST for Sinister. His mooks are put down and Storm fries him. In the confusion, Fantomelle and Pepper slip in and make off with Wolverine's corpse. Their escape is hampered by Sinister's defenses which sends them through a non-Euclidean jaunt through space that 'Melle's modifications allow her to safely traverse (apparently she has complete control of her body in all six directions of movement). She meets up with the Paradise crew, who begin their retreat (Neuro suggesting to Shogun they can take out 'Melle while she's distracted, and Shogun disgustedly asking whether there's anybody he WOULDN'T betray). Unfortunately, 'Melle's ruse with the X-Men didn't fool anyone long, and Nightcrawler is sent after them. He bamfs in, tips his cap to Fantomelle over her skills as a thief, then bamfs out again, leaving the team empty-handed. For her part, she takes the defeat in stride (apparently noting Kurt makes her a little hot) and agrees with Culpepper to move on to their next job.

Meanwhile, Colossus and Sabes are about to get into it. Piotr doesn't buy that Creed is a changed man -- which I guess is going to be a running gag in this series -- but Creed is nonetheless willing to throw down over it if Pete insists on pressing the issue. Storm, meanwhile, calls out Laura for hanging with the likes of Creed and Mystique (of course being fair to Laura, Storm doesn't know she doesn't have much of a choice in the matter) and reminds everyone Mystique can't be trusted. Kurt returns with his mission accomplished, and helps the X-Men evacuate Sinister's fortress, while the Wolverines and Paradise crew are left to make their own ways out. Deathstrike takes a moment to finish off Sinister in anger over controlling her, before everyone books it out of there. Skel apparently sees Endo (MIA since the beginning of #5) but the next we see everyone is back aboard Changeling, where X laments the failed mission.

That's when...SOMETHING...happens to Mystique. Cue cliffhanger.

Wolverines delivers yet another fast-paced issue. This one had fewer places where it was difficult to follow what was happening, and the artwork is much improved. I like the reminder from Storm not to trust Mystique, as at least it shows the writer is AWARE that the other characters shouldn't trust her (hopefully it means they're not going to rely on the Idiot Ball for the rest of the characters).

There's some great character notes, here. X's frustration over failing the mission is a great touch, as is Storm and Kurt referring to her by name; I've always liked the sense that her friends avoid calling her X-23 due to its negative connotations. I'd also really like to see more play on how Laura is handling being around this team; as Storm points out, these are NOT the sorts that she would normally associate with (aside perhaps Daken, with whom she already had a more or less functional relationship) and I would expect her to have the biggest problem of being coerced into working with Shogun of anyone. And once again, Creed vainly tries to explain to someone looking to bash his head in that he's not the same person he used to be. The idea that the Wolverines have developed their own countermeasures to the trigger words was also a brilliant touch: these are all highly-intelligent, trained and experienced people, it just makes SENSE they'd have a fallback plan for just such an occasion.

Sinister once again demonstrates his scary foresight and preparedness, as we learn the mook he sent forward through time was specifically sent to revive him if things went south. Now, whether Mystique apparently morphing into Sinister is a part of HER plans, or is actually a part of Sinister's contingency will have to wait for next week, but it certainly makes for a nice cliffhanger.

And Neuro is proving himself to be a dangerous liability in need of a stabbing. The only question is will it be Shogun or one of the Wolverines to do it first?

I do wish we'd gotten to see more closure on Wolverine's remains, since AFAIK none of the other books have addressed them yet (a funeral scene with the Wolverines -- or at least Laura -- visiting the JGS could have been a nice touch), and the actual interactions between the Wolverines and the X-Men had some potential I feel was sort of wasted. I also think Mystique introduces a bit of a plothole: Given her powers, you would think that she should be able to render herself immune altogether, by either rewiring her own brain or otherwise altering her physiology. I would have also liked a bit more clarification on what happened to Endo, though I suppose that could be a development for the future.

Those are pretty minor quibbles in an otherwise enjoyable issues, however. Overall a solid effort.

I hope that Wolverines last beyond Secret Wars...crossing my fingers!!!!

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Me too. If not I see it ending in May with #20. Soule said something to Fawkes about a scene in #20. Don't know if it was a joke or not lol. I see up to 20 because by the end of may Battleworld gets created after the release of Secret Wars #2 by the end of the month. I'll actually be plesently suprised if it continued especially on battleworld it self
    X-Men Forever

As usual Amabryerno thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister340 View Post
    I hope that Wolverines last beyond Secret Wars...crossing my fingers!!!!
    Very much agreed and seconded. It one of the better and well written series at the moment. When a writer gives a plausible and believable reason. For some characters to defend themselves against the control words. It can only get better imo. It's rare to find such attention given to the characters and writing. Usually no explanation would have been given. All of sudden the characters are simply immune. It was well handled imo. If one has a healing factor take out your ability to hear. Mystique closing her years make sense as well. I don't like that they needed Storm to tell them not to trust Mystique. It should have been a given from the start. The only characters not familiar with her treachery should be only the Paradise Group. Otherwise everyone else should and knows better when it comes to Mystique. While I think Neuro still alive is because of being a favored character. As no way no how would someone who is to be trusted less than Mystique remain among the living for too long imo. Other characters not trusting Sabertooth inversion is handled well too. Instead of the usual everyone trusts a reformed villain right away scenario we usually get. It makes sense that no one trust Sabertooth inversion. If they ever will. I'm also glad that he is not being written as pushover as well. Again as usually reformed villain means simply losing what made them interesting as a villain.

Ambaryerno I wonder if Mystique lack of immunity has to do with the nanities she was injected with during Dark X-men story arc. We are never shown or revealed that she is entirely free of them. It's assumed that she did but what if she still has them. Someone with Sinister skills and resources could easily rewrite and/or alter them to his wishes imo. Otherwise your right it is a plothole. Which I'm okay with as with the Magneto solo this is the other X-series I'm truly enjoying.
    Last edited by sureshot; 02-11-2015 at 01:25 PM.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Wow maybe another love interest for Nightcrawler. Good for Colossus for not trusting Sabertooth

Nightcrawler is rapidly becoming the Captain Kirk of the Marvel universe isn't he imo.

Enjoyable as she is, I hope this isn't so much of a Fantomelle book in the future.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

If she's enjoyable, what's the problem with her getting some focus?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starsmoar View Post
    If she's enjoyable, what's the problem with her getting some focus?
    I would say the objection would mainly be that the book is ostensibly supposed to center around X, Sabretooth, Daken, Mystique and Deathstrike. It was certainly marketed most heavily around them and their connection to Wolverine. Too much attention on Fantomelle will take the focus away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I would say the objection would mainly be that the book is ostensibly supposed to center around X, Sabretooth, Daken, Mystique and Deathstrike. It was certainly marketed most heavily around them and their connection to Wolverine. Too much attention on Fantomelle will take the focus away from that.
    A very good point. While it's good to showcase a new character. The book really should be about the above characters imo.

It's like when Jason Aaron did that Wolverine story that seemed like it was actually launching a new Deathlok title. Left me wondering if I had a book with the wrong cover on it or something.

Especially since they already had a bunch of new characters introduced in the preceding series. 10 people is too ungainly even with a weekly.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

Yeah, but that Wolverine-Deathlok arc by Aaron was pretty solid IMO.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I hope he can juggle the cast since Fantomelle and Culpepper stick around. He's also reintroduced in Fang to the book to according to solits.
    X-Men Forever

BANNED

The best part!

I can rip the air from your lungs with the force of a hurricane. I can cascade the electrical impulses in your brains and induce a violent seizure. I can freeze your hearts and shatter your veins. Surrender Logan to us.-Storm in Wolverines #6.

And she riding on a cloud! wow~!

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

This is a mess. Using her trigger word, Endo tells Lady Deathstrike to kill the X-Men but then she's shown fighting Sinister and Sinister monster-goons. Colossus/Nightcrawler start fighting Sabretooth simply because they showed up in the same place. Then they all apparently have an off-panel conversation because it becomes clear to them that they're two separate groups after Logan's body.

At least the Wolverines and Weapon X rejects are splitting up now.
    Twitter: @TonyBWood