Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I really enjoyed the issue! I did find the bit with Absorbing Man and Titania a little heavy handed, but I am not like, upset with it. And the way I see it, the people that scene would piss off are ALREADY pissed off, and nothing short of reverting everything t the old status quo would satisfy them. So this scene is not going to change that situation, and it makes it clear that Jason Aaron is perfectly well aware of what people are saying, and he's stating clearly that he is not going to let it affect what he is doing. If that makes some fans drop the book, fine, they probably would end up dropping it anyway.

I really enjoyed the continued uraveling of the situation in Asgard, and what that means for the future. It's clear a schism is coming, with Freyja one side and Odin on the other. It appears Freyja will have the most support, especially after Odin put Cul of all people in a position of power. I mean, I think his newfound commitment to family is nice, but... still... He can show some forgiveness to Cul without, y'know, giving him power that he is likely to abuse. I think I would have liked a a bit more subtlety in the two sides, rather than having Odin's side be so clearly in the wrong, but it's still fun. Also, as a Loki fan, I think the Cul situation adds a lot there. Now we have Cul filling what is essentially Loki's old role, which means Loki is pretty much free to be the wildcard here. After what Freyja did to him, he is unlikely to be on her side, and if Thor is on her side, he will not want Loki there. On the other side, with Odin's newfound commitment to family and forgiveness, he's likely welcome Loki with open arms, so it is pretty clear which side he will end up on. But I don't think Loki would really be OK with Odin's views, he is not one to stand for traditional and unchanging systems. which could end up creating an interesting situation.

I really liked the scene with Sif, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So, I'm the only one whose issue had a second half of why Titania was throwing that fight?
    Nope, mine had it too. Maybe we have rare printing error copies!
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Simian View Post
    Nope, mine had it too. Maybe we have rare printing error copies!
    Don't you think that the whole prison thing was a bit of a meta-textual joke about a prison theamed character needing to at least be in prison every once in a while? I think it was a bit of a throwaway line rather than an actual reason. Within the comic we could call it a bit of self justification for TItania.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Don't you think that the whole prison thing was a bit of a meta-textual joke about a prison theamed character needing to at least be in prison every once in a while? I think it was a bit of a throwaway line rather than an actual reason. Within the comic we could call it a bit of self justification for TItania.
    I read into it exactly what Titania told Thor: when Creel is out of jail too long, his eye starts to wander to other women.

If there was supposed to be some subtext or metaphor there, then it went over my head. Drax I am not.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Spectacular Member ThiefHookUps's Avatar

I liked the first issue but I'm losing interested in this character. I think it's because this new Thor talks like the old Thor, but it feels like she's talking via a Norse god Google translator rather than as an extension of herself. And if I'm going to have a character who talks like the old Thor, I'd rather just have the old Thor since he's a developed personality and, due to this new Thor's identity being a secret, the only thing this new Thor brings personality-wise so far are a lot of insecurities. Insecurities of an unknown person aren't doing it for me. The new Thor having Odinson Thor-speak and a secret identity ala Shadowhawk really removes me from being invested in the character. I might be more interested once the secret identity business of it being Roz or whomever is over.

Ultimate Member

Can we please STOP with the whole "Absorbing Man is a misogynist" crap? I hated when KSD did it in her debut CM issue (despite liking that book overall) and I still hate it here. Creel has been around for DECADES, and he's never been depicted as a raging misogynist up until KSD got ahold of him. His big love interest is Titania for God's sake. It'd be the equivalent of making J Jonah Jameson into a hardcore racist in 2014 despite him never being depicted that way in the past. Writers, if you want to preach to your audience in-universe, then pick a character that actually FITS the role.

If Aaron/KSD had used The Mandrill, or another long-established misogynistic villain, then this wouldn't be nearly as annoying. Although I tend to find Aaron's hamfisted soapboxing to be tiresome in general. He tried in his X-Men stuff, it didn't work there and it didn't work here imo.

I think the dumbest part of this issue is Cul Borson. I mean, C'MON Odin, this guy wrecked the world in Fear Itself (regardless of your opinion on that event). It is not a good idea to associate with this guy. Maybe Asgardians just have a thing about forgiving ******* brothers.
    Last edited by TheObsessor; 02-12-2015 at 11:14 AM.

Ultimate Member

Cul also KILLED THOR!! Did you forget about that Odin? I HATE Odin in this book, his portrayal is godawful.

I, for one, loved the whole Creel fight. Sure it broke the fourth wall, which jolts you out of the action for a moment, but it was also hilarious and made perfect sense within the context of the story. I'm less sold on Titania's reasons for just giving up, but at least it left more room for Asgardian politics (which were great), rather than an unnecessary action scene. The scene with Sif was really well executed; two ex-lovers who still remember all the reasons they fell in love in the first place, but can't help butting heads all the same.

It's unfair to Molina really, but I can't wait to have Dauterman back. Molina didn't do a bad job by any stretch of the imagination, but his linework seems to be quite sparse on the details, and the painterly colours looked a bit flat as a consequence.

I still don't see why there's such a rush to find out Thor's civilian identity. As another, lesser known writer once said: 'What's in a name? That which we call a rose/ By any other name would smell as sweet.' In other words, she will be the exact same character with her name as she was without, nothing will have changed when we find out. The only difference will be that certain fans will be able to trawl through her history before becoming Thor and point out All-New reasons why Aaron is ruining Thor and everything he stands for. Boy, I can't wait.

@JKtheMac: Great post. I'm not sure I'm 100% ready to pin everything on Freya but this is definitely a story that is as much about Odin being unworthy as it is Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    I still don't see why there's such a rush to find out Thor's civilian identity. As another, lesser known writer once said: 'What's in a name? That which we call a rose/ By any other name would smell as sweet.' In other words, she will be the exact same character with her name as she was without, nothing will have changed when we find out.
    Without the civilian side of the coin, we're only getting glimpses of the person behind the mask. That's a barrier between the reader and the character, which is a problem when making a personal connection with a character is such a key part of building a fan base. The theme of identity still resonates, of course, but I think it'd be more robust with that additional background.

If the mystery were a bigger focus, that'd be a different story. As written, though, it seems unnecessary, and I think it undercuts what Aaron appears to be trying to accomplish.

I saw the Titania and Absorbing Man pages, and honestly, it seems like Marvel is patting themselves on the back and it comes off as stupid.

Titania, who has fought She-Hulk countless times, just lays down for Thor to hit her cause "Female Thor"? How is this new Thor supposed to be taken as a credible hero if other villains are surrendering cause she's a girl?

It's just...what? That's not girl power! That's just stupid! If you wanted to have Girl Power, have Thor smash up Absorbing Man and Titania in an actual fight, not have this "Villains throw aside their goals cause girl power". It's stupid!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marvelousmetalmouse View Post
    It's probably just because I agree with Jason Aaron, but I loved the fight with Absorbing Man. The fight (or lack there of) with Titania was a real disappointment though. I can buy Crusher Creel as a raging misogynist, but since when has Titania been about girl power? She picks fights with She-Hulk all the time, and She-Hulk is one of Marvel's most girl power characters out there.
    I second this as when is Titania ever one to throw a fight ?

Also, just reveal who the new Thor is already and end this charade of guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Without the civilian side of the coin, we're only getting glimpses of the person behind the mask. That's a barrier between the reader and the character, which is a problem when making a personal connection with a character is such a key part of building a fan base. The theme of identity still resonates, of course, but I think it'd be more robust with that additional background.

If the mystery were a bigger focus, that'd be a different story. As written, though, it seems unnecessary, and I think it undercuts what Aaron appears to be trying to accomplish.
    We are just getting glimpses, sure, and if Thor was the only player in the story that might be an issue. But as it is she is just one piece of the puzzle. And I don't agree at all about it being a barrier between the reader and the character: the thought bubbles still give us insight into her intimate thoughts in the moments that count, which is a really creative solution to prevent her from actually being completely cut off from the reader like she really would be if we just heard her speak and nothing else.

As for why Aaron feels it is necessary, I suspect it is because it would otherwise undermine Odinson's quest to find out who she is. After all, if we knew her identity and Thor didn't, I guarantee someone would be complaining that Aaron should get on with it already and have Odinson find out, whereas Aaron clearly wants to have Odinson visit a lot of his lady friends and allies, which will undoubtedly teach him a thing or two about his place in the world.

Weird theory here: maybe She-Thor is a clone of Thor created by Freya, and when Thor learns some lesson him and her will merge into one Thor lol gods are weird like that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post

Another reason I want the mysterious identity issue dealt with is that I am certain Rosalind Solomon is the new Thor and she is an agent of SHIELD. I'd like to see how she plans on keeping her secret safe while still collecting a paycheck. Another thing is, she is not-so-certainly Odinson's new love interest. How is she going to keep that flame burning knowing how Odinson might react to discovering she took the hammer? Assuming she cares to further a romantic relationship with Odinson, that is.

Edit: and it can't be Jane Foster because she is battling cancer but she is dead set against using magic to help her. She simply won't do it. Also, she wouldn't have laid a big smooch on Odinson in the Roxxon plant because she had already decided to move on (see her conversation with Freya after leaving Broxton) and she accepts Roz Solomon as Odinson's "new girlfriend."
    Last edited by Rogue Star; 02-12-2015 at 02:53 PM.