Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    "You run stories about Milo Manara sexual artwork. The Mitch Geralds artwork for the Punisher #15 come across as racial. The way he draws the character Sidewinder who is a black soldier looks like the way blacks where represented in the early 40's. In case you need me to explain look at the way he draws his lips on the first page at the bottom panel."
    First, the word "racial" simply means relating to race. It's the completely wrong word to use to get the point across. Drawing a black person with dark skin, an Italian with olive-ish skin or a Swede with fair skin is "racial." The word whoever sent that message need to use was "racist." Second, it is not racist. If the character were drawn like that in every panel, then sure. But he isn't. It's pretty clearly just an unfortunate mistake that should have been caught but wasn't. End of story.
    Last edited by AntoninoC; 02-26-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Assuming images like this (the extremes) are the only way someone can racistly depict a black person is like assuming the only hate crime is one where someone is dragged from the sidewalk and beaten to death. People have gotten subtler and more coded in their deceptions (though I am not saying the artist for the Punisher comic was intentionally doing that).
    No I understand your point but don't think it is applicable here. I never said this was the only way black people can be depicted and it be racist. For instance their was a cover that featured LeBron James with him holding a white woman.

If one were to glance at it one would not think I'm sure the image had racist or subliminal racist undertones but it does. I don't believe this to be the same case with the punisher picture.

First, the op compared the drawing in the punisher panel to drawings depicted in the 40s. I posted examples of animated images of black people drawn then to demonstrate that statement to be false. Secondly, I don't see this as being racist or an issue because I have encountered people who are black who have full lips and even pointed to a celebrity who has full lips. I even remember as a child one of my friends being affectionately nicknamed "lips" becuase his lips were so large. So my question still remains then is why is it racist to show a black person with full lips when you can encounter said people in life?

Again to me I believe people are being hypersensitive when there is no need to be as such.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Yeah, that old outdated definition.......................

After all, almost everyone knows that there is a new and much more accurate definition, that says that a person only can be racist or sexist or anything that ends in -ist if that person has the support of a power structure like the patriarchy, the white supremacy, the straight-as-default, etc...................
    Eh, you're referencing Sociology in regards to that definition which some people describe to and others doesn't. That isn't what I was talking about, I was talking about people seemed to assume things are only racist when they are blatant in your face type racism, not realizing the racism of today is much subtler and covert due to open racism being culturally looked down upon.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    No I understand your point but don't think it is applicable here. I never said this was the only way black people can be depicted and it be racist. For instance their was a cover that featured LeBron James with him holding a white woman.

If one were to glance at it one would not think I'm sure the image had racist or subliminal racist undertones but it does. I don't believe this to be the same case with the punisher picture.
    I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point but unless I am mistaken, that poster was WWI propaganda aimed against Germans. I don't really know what that has to do with this issue.