Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default X-Men #24 Spoilers/Discussion Thread: Psylocke

Didn't see a review on this yet so I thought I'd make the maiden voyage and write my first review on CBR:

Summary: Psylocke narrates as the issue starts with Rachel, Monet and Psylocke descending down the cavern to rescue Storm. Nefarious cavern creatures soon attack the X-trio and the situation goes quickly out of control as the team gets separated. During the fight, Psylocke is wounded from an attack. We stay in Betsy's head through it all, as she throws up a psychic barrier against the monster hoard, and Rachel gives a nice assist in boosting the barrier's protective strength. Psylocke's wound is bad and she makes the call to shut down her down pain receptors. Rachel advises against it, but Betsy does it anyways, for the sake of battle. The team fights their way deeper into the cavern only to discover that Rachel was right, because Psylocke's injuries are worse than she thought. Just then an even bigger cave monster appears and attacks the team.

A little focus to Jubilee and Beast at the JGS as they try to solve the Krakoa vomit mystery, and Jubilee leaves the scene to follow a lead. Meanwhile, Storm struggles to keep her **** together and pull herself free, but doesn't have much luck. Back with with X-trio, we see the team planning a coordinated strike on the giant cave monster. Rachel makes telepathic contact with the monster and gets more insight on the mystery from above while Psylocke discovers some buried Kree armor from below, linking the mutated cave monsters to Kree experiments. After a moment's reprieve from fighting, Monet is enraged and goes to make a mysterious phone call in the cavern above, and that's where the story pretty much leaves off.

Review:
    I'm new to G.W.W's writing, but I enjoyed it. I like the character voices (for once). The writer's spinning an interesting yarn, grounded in realistic settings, incorporating some Marvel mythology, and giving us poignant character moments. I like how she's going to tell this story through the characters, by chapters. It's refreshing to see a writer pay attention to character history and cannon. For example, I appreciated the use of Psylocke and Rachel teaming up on that teke shield, like they've done in the past. Through G.W.W's writing, I'm intrigued about the level of psychic specialties each of the telepaths have. We see M rely on Rachel for stuff like mind control; and Psylocke compares her defenses against certain psychic attacks, to Rachel's (and Jean's) defenses. Betsy seems to be a teke powerhouse, while Rachel's more well rounded (although she seems to reserve her teke attacks more for defensive uses) It's always been kind of nebulous how far M's pschic abilities go. They seem formidable, but she seems to like to rely more on her flight and super strength. Maybe she lends teke to her punches? Are psychics like artists, where not all artists have the same skill sets, because some artists are painters, and others are sculptors, or photographers, etc?

Psylocke's chapter was great because her narration showed her vulnerability as well as strength of resolve. The art wasn't bad, I could see some good forms there, but the inking seemed rushed. I don't think the inker is doing the artist any justice. Overall, I thought this was a solid issue. I wish G.W.W. could write these characters longer. This story might be self contained, but it's a good one. (Aside from the Gambit thing in the last ish...which was just random.) I like this book. I'm rooting for it to succeed.

~
    Last edited by Tunasammiches; 02-12-2015 at 10:26 AM.

BANNED

Just read it and really enjoyed the issue a lot. It also showed how 3 psychics can work and complement each other on the team.I do love Betsy's portrayal. she may be a BA close combatant, but when fighting the unknown, that could cost you without thinking and planning. I like how the creatures knock that silly action junkie trope out in 3 panels.
    I wish GWW was on this book longer. I really dig her style.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Good to see Betsy being badass, though she pushes herself so hard at times, and Rachel being the leader she was meant to be.

Like how the trio work together(They also worked well together in the last Arc), interesting to have 3 women having similar powers yet being shown to use them so differently. Course that, sadly, won't stop those that wrongly believe that those with the same powers must be exactly the same when that has never been the case in Marvel.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 02-12-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Incredible Member

I liked the character interaction between the three. It was done really well imo . Art was bad but worked in context. I wonder if Rachel keeps first aid kit in one of the pouches on her belt(otherwise it'd be lame). Overall the issue was nice(though I dont like Jean and Rachel comparison)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Good to see Betsy being badass, though she pushes herself so hard at times, and Rachel being the leader she was meant to be.

Like how the trio work together(They also worked well together in the last Arc), interesting to have 3 women having similar powers yet being shown to use them so differently. Course that, sadly, won't stop those that wrongly believe that those with the same powers must be exactly the same when that has never been the case in Marvel.
    Agreed i always hated when Psylocke used to be called "Just another Telepath" when each woman used their abilities much differently. BASE telepathy is the same, but they all had their own methods, and proficiency.

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

Another solid issue. I also appreciated how Wilson highlighted the differences between how Psylocke and Rachel use their abilities in battle.

One thing bugged me. Jubilee has a "theory" and races off to Utah to test it out. You sure you don't want to explain your idea to Beast first?
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by True Believer Tony View Post
    Another solid issue. I also appreciated how Wilson highlighted the differences between how Psylocke and Rachel use their abilities in battle.

One thing bugged me. Jubilee has a "theory" and races off to Utah to test it out. You sure you don't want to explain your idea to Beast first?
    I'd love to see an issue that really breaks down each telepath's proficiencies in the art of mind combat. It's always been weird to me that Xavier was the most powerful omega telepath on earth, but didn't wield telekinesis (or maybe couldn't because all his powers were concentrated on being a telepath?). Same with Emma. Or how Karma is only super limited to possession and mild tracking, or Dani, (when she was powered), was limited to illusions. Then there's Psych, who can project her astral form, but she doesn't really show other proficiencies as far as mind reading or teke, except for the blasts she does. Megan's got empathy but I guess that's a whole other thing....but related to telepathy.

Monet has the telepathic ability, but as far as skill, I'm not so sure. She can't take Emma. She might be able to handle Ray, but not sure how she'd fare against Psylocke, (another psy-tank) She definitely can't beat Jean though. Especially in Phoenix mode.

I doubt Monet can take Rachel on. Heck, Emma admitted that Rachel, without Phoenix, was far more powerful than her. Emma only won due to experience and refined skill. Rachel has since improved greatly, which Emma helped somewhat with, and has gotten very comfortable with her own powers and not relying on the Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaishakh View Post
    I liked the character interaction between the three. It was done really well imo . Art was bad but worked in context. I wonder if Rachel keeps first aid kit in one of the pouches on her belt(otherwise it'd be lame). Overall the issue was nice(though I dont like Jean and Rachel comparison)
    Indeed, the Rachel/Jean stuff needs to stop. They're very different, we don't need to give any Rachel naysayers any ammo when trying to deny her being in any Marvel game that has the X-Men because "they already have Jean". I had to beat back the crew on Marvel Heroes for months until they came threw and realized that Rachel is very different from Jean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Agreed i always hated when Psylocke used to be called "Just another Telepath" when each woman used their abilities much differently. BASE telepathy is the same, but they all had their own methods, and proficiency.
    Too bad poor Rachel keeps getting lumped together with Jean even to this day. Took a lot to convince the Marvel Heroes community that Rachel cannot be a costume for her vastly different mother.

I really loved this issue. I wish she could be the permenant writer.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

It's settled right into it's groove after a semi-rocky first issue. I like the way this is set up. I just wish that the art was a little to my taste - there were times where I actually couldn't tell what I was supposed to be looking at.

I'll agree with everyone else and say I loved how Wilson showed the difference between their telepathic powers - it made sense and made it more interesting than just seeing a bunch of "i'm picking up blahblahblah" or sparkly, undefined telekinesis beams shooting everywhere.

Can't wait to see her Monet POV issue.

Will be interesting to see how Monet sees and thinks of the team. She generally seems to like Rachel as she was the first to follow Rachel's orders and longer than the rest. Though why she latched onto Rachel before anyone else is a mystery, even before Psylocke who promised to watch over Rachel after End of Greys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Will be interesting to see how Monet sees and thinks of the team. She generally seems to like Rachel as she was the first to follow Rachel's orders and longer than the rest. Though why she latched onto Rachel before anyone else is a mystery, even before Psylocke who promised to watch over Rachel after End of Greys.
    I feel like Rachel's part will be the best.

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

I think Claremont was great at that. People complained about his over-narration but when a telepath used their powers, you felt by the way he described it, exactly what was going on. I noticed that when reading an early appearance of Karma.
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

The best book currently being published. Monet, Rachel, and Betsy were dynamic as always. Makes me sad that Ms. Wilson won't be writing this book much longer. Both Guggenhein and she are absolutely amazing. I sincerely hope Rachel, Psylocke, and M are a team post SW and BW
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    I feel like Rachel's part will be the best.
    this.

10char