Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

What really irks me about people when it comes to Rachel. She's so far been the ONLY person to wield the Phoenix and not go absolutely nuts..

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Indeed, Rachel never went Dark Phoenix. In games like Marvel Heroes going Dark Phoenix od a huge thing for Jean's character and moveset. Naturally that means Rachel should never have been considered a possible costume, before considering the many other differences, as she never went Dark Phoenix and I doubt Marvel would let such a huge lore slip up happen as they care much of their image. Hence why they flat out told Gazillion that Carnage cannot be a Venom costume despite there being some demand.

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    Well sure, but neither I nor G Willow Wilson have implied that being Jean's daughter is what defines Rachel.

I thing the main difference between us here is that I am judging the moment based on its context within this story, whereas you are looking at it from a much wider perspective of (what you perceive to be) years of overemphasis on her connection between her and Jean, both in writing and by certain fans. Given that this is G Willow Wilson's first ever X-Men story (right?), you can hardly lay the blame for this overemphasis at her feet. It felt, to me at least, a perfectly natural comparison to make in the moment and there weren't really any moments where a similar reference to any other family members might have been made.

Two other minor points: 1) This is a book about female X-Men, so you can see why Wilson might want to explore Rachel's relationship with her mother but not her grandfather, father or brothers in this case; 2) I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that across all fiction more emphasis tends to be placed on same sex parent/child relationships than different sex parent/child relationships, which probably contributes in part to the comparative lack of stories exploring Rachel and Cyclop's relationship.
    Yet she keeps getting compared to her mother when she shouldn't. She's her own woman.

I'm looking at it from many perspectives and the fact that quite a few, who don't know any better as they don't know the characters, often mistook Rachel for Jean and refused to see Rachel as her own character despite big differences between the characters. This only adds fuel to that which is why I hate it whenever a Rachel/Jean comparison is made is it implies there's less uniqueness for the characters.

Why does Rachel need her relationship with her dead mother explored in a plot that has nothing to do with her mother? If her relationship should be explored it should be through Tean whose alive as you can't do much with someone who isn't around anymore as we've already had Rachel mourn her mother and move on as her own woman.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 02-15-2015 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know it's kinda strange that Storm would doubt the existence of the afterlife when Nightcrawler is a testament to its existence. Hell she was one of the X-Men who was pulled into the world of the afterlife by the bamfs to help Kurt.
    Good point. I thinks it's minor to the overall plot and is just a way to give some depth to Storm's inner monologue but definitely something writers should be aware of considering the X-Men's past experiences with the afterlife, WHR, limbos, hell dimensions, etc. When Storm was on the borderline between life and death in XXM she met her parents in the afterlife (even introducing Jean to them).
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Amazing issue. Very very good

Niffleheim

This is the first time I have ever felt like these women are in a team. All the issues prior to this arc were completely and utter rubbish. I love the addition of the Kree in this arc --- one of my favorite alien races and we all know their connection to the Inhumans will involve them Into this story.
    Last edited by Tofali; 02-16-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    This is the first time I have ever felt like these women are in a team. All the issues prior to this arc were completely and utter rubbish. I love the addition of the Kree in this arc --- one of my favorite alien races and we all know their connection to the Inhumans will involve them coming to this story.
    This. I just noticed that they actually feel like a team and not just a group. I hope that if this book continues after secret wars or gets relaunched after secret wars they get a writer like g.willow wilson.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    This. I just noticed that they actually feel like a team and not just a group. I hope that if this book continues after secret wars or gets relaunched after secret wars they get a writer like g.willow wilson.
    She has A-Force now so I don't see her writing an X-Team book. I chuckle every time I think/read/write A-Force - talk about "originality"
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    She has A-Force now so I don't see her writing an X-Team book. I chuckle every time I think/read/write A-Force - talk about "originality"
    I thought she was going to do something with the x-men after this arc or was that a rumor.

Really liked this issue, I thought Psylocke was used well. Using her telepathy to block her pain receptors and her TK to shield them (not to mention her power lighting up the cave just as a side note), fun stuff.
    Psylocke · Magneto · Archangel / Angel · X-23 · O5
    April 2012 Posts: 351 RIP me

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    I thought she was going to do something with the x-men after this arc or was that a rumor.
    Unless she said she was doing involving X-Men, and meant A-Force. (God that name gets worse every time I read it.)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    What really irks me about people when it comes to Rachel. She's so far been the ONLY person to wield the Phoenix and not go absolutely nuts..
    And they completely ignored that fact in AVX. Not only was she a glorified cameo for most of it, but they never brought that up ONCE, at least that I can recall. They were acting like NO ONE has EVER been able to control the Phoenix.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    And they completely ignored that fact in AVX. Not only was she a glorified cameo for most of it, but they never brought that up ONCE, at least that I can recall. They were acting like NO ONE has EVER been able to control the Phoenix.
    Exactly. Also they threw out mentioning pheonix back story that happened after the Dark Phoenix Saga. No racheal with the Pheonix and no mention that Jean never had the Pheonix in the originall story. Only time Jean wad possessed Luke Racheal was was in Grant Morrisons run
    X-Men Forever