Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

I don't see the book succeeding. I like the concept of getting her back down to "street level" and think if Marvel could have tied her in closely with Spiderman (in costume and maybe out) it could have worked well but now with Silk in the picture it seems a bit redundant to have to two spider-women running around on the same street hanging out with Pete. I don't think Jess has found her niche yet, when she's a spy she seems too much like a B level Black Widow and now with Silk she'll seem like an underpowered Spiderwoman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    I don't see the book succeeding. I like the concept of getting her back down to "street level" and think if Marvel could have tied her in closely with Spiderman (in costume and maybe out) it could have worked well but now with Silk in the picture it seems a bit redundant to have to two spider-women running around on the same street hanging out with Pete. I don't think Jess has found her niche yet, when she's a spy she seems too much like a B level Black Widow and now with Silk she'll seem like an underpowered Spiderwoman.
    This was the whole point of my argument that if Jessica isn't tied into Spider-Man's world, her series might not attract the Spider-man fans who would back it up. And her new costume does not help either as there was nothing wrong with it at all as she could have had a costume that was similar to Spider-Armor MKII or The Spider-Stealth costume that might have been ideal. But Denis Hopeless has proven to be a very good writer thus far. But what might make Jessica Drew series appealing to the readers is her friendship with Peter Parker(in the same manner as her friendship with Carol Danvers), which would be the cornerstone for her series going forward.

I am a big Jess Drew fan and bought most of Spiderverse, like D.Hopeless as a writer but definitely think this was a horrible mistake.

The book was way too much about Silk, had completely the wrong artist and until issue 4 didn't have any characterisation in it.

The new costume would have been fine for Silk to adopt (maybe 'cause I don't have an interest in the character) but taking away the iconic outfit from Jess Drew and throwing away her character progression pfft may as well be a new character.

All that being said though I am pretty sure this book has sold pretty well.

Silk and the Greg Land art turned me off more than the Spider-Verse tie-in and I know nothing about Spider-Verse. Looking forward to issue #5 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I do. But Marvel is pushing the villain Felicia all over the MU. They might as well put The Black Cat in Jessica's world and see how she handles her. Besides that, the Black Cat was originally intended to be a Spider-Woman villain. They might as well play with it as I feel that it might be an interesting set of circumstance for Jessica. After all, Black Cat will be in the pages of Silk's on going series.

The more exposure Jessica is to Peter's world, the more she'll get to understand him as why he acts the way he does around certain people.

The key element for this series going forward is not so much Jessica's new direction, but also her evolving friendship with Peter Parker which could be the conner stone that might make the series successful without the need for Spider-Man; rather Jessica's need to develop a friendship with someone who understands her, aside from Carol Danvers. That should be Peter Parker in his civilian guise.
    I see. Personally I have to disagree. Marketing wise it seems putting 616 Jesica on the same boat as Peter has turned some people off. I'm willing to bet Silk being involved didn't help matters but that's another thing all together. Marketing from what I've noticed is kind of like fishing. Sure you can get people to nibble but unless you've got them hooked it might not even matter. Plus I see villian Felicia as another turn off for people that don't like this change in Black Cat.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I would love nothing more than to see Jessica as part of Spider-Man's world. Otherwise, the Spider-readers might not support the book if we do not see her having a few moments with Peter(in his civilian guise) once in awhile. If Jessica can be close friends with Carol Danvers, why can't we see the same for Peter Parker, the guy who inspired her to be a detective in the first place long before she even met Carol Davners. Jessica will not become another Spider-Character as she has long proven that she's her own person. I have yet to see a developing friendship between Jessica and Peter. And this would be a whole lot better than Peter and Silk which adds nothing to the story.
    Fair enough. I'd rather see the book stand on it's own two feet than use Spidey as a crutch though. An occasionally appearance from Pete would be acceptable but I'd rather see Anya, Carol, Banner or even Jack Russell.

I'd rather see some of her old foes like Skein, the Brothers Grimm and Nekra. I'm not 100% against using Spidey villains, he's got an embarrassment of riches in that regard and should spread the love. I'd just rather it be some of the smaller ones like The Fly and Spot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Fair enough. I'd rather see the book stand on it's own two feet than use Spidey as a crutch though. An occasionally appearance from Pete would be acceptable but I'd rather see Anya, Carol, Banner or even Jack Russell.

I'd rather see some of her old foes like Skein, the Brothers Grimm and Nekra. I'm not 100% against using Spidey villains, he's got an embarrassment of riches in that regard and should spread the love. I'd just rather it be some of the smaller ones like The Fly and Spot.
    The problem is we barely ever get to see any real dialog between Peter Parker and Jessica Drew. A lot of people are against it because he's Spider-Man and she's Spider-Woman. Yet, Marvel conveniently creates a Spider-Woman in the form of Silk for Spider-Man, which(IMO) kills off any potential chance of Peter and Jessica working together as the focus will be Spider-Man x Silk on the basis of their pheromone attraction, where as the potential for Peter and Jessica is so much better based on past history that could make for a good story telling.

I do feel that Jessica Drew should be an alternate to the Black Cat as Spider-Man's as opposed to Silk, who has the same powerset as Spidey's.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 02-17-2015 at 07:36 PM.

As usual, Marvel relies on 1) Spider-Man and 2) the Avengers to sell all their titles. The two biggest franchises are good "go-to"s when it comes to starting something new. So it wasn't a mistake per say, but more like a plan. But the series is essentially a flash in the pan like so many of their miniseries. Five volumes of Spider-Woman and the original is still the longest lived, by a country mile. Thats just because Marvel seems to operate under a different business model these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    As usual, Marvel relies on 1) Spider-Man and 2) the Avengers to sell all their titles . . .
    Don't forget the Guardians of the Galaxy are starting to make it to that level.
    Also, X-Men / Wolverine / Deadpool can be used that way.

With the cover and solicits for the May issue, I am finding myself concerned about the change in tone of Spider-Woman for the first time. As a fan of the "To Know Her it to Fear Her" Spider-Woman, this "batgirling" take seems to be more of a "To Know her is to Think she's Darn Spunky!". Its an adjustment....
    Attachment 17952

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    With the cover and solicits for the May issue, I am finding myself concerned about the change in tone of Spider-Woman for the first time. As a fan of the "To Know Her it to Fear Her" Spider-Woman, this "batgirling" take seems to be more of a "To Know her is to Think she's Darn Spunky!". Its an adjustment....
    Attachment 17952
    I personally feel that Marvel should have left her costume alone. The new costume does not help her appeal at all, in contrast to Silk's costume. She could have had Peter Parker create a costume for her that's based on the Spider-Armor MKII(with the Spider-Stealth features built into the suit) that could look like a normal costume design like this one:

But the costume would retain Jessica original color scheme

107th Inf Rgt (HC) PAO Timberley's Avatar

I'll be honest, it's only since the costume revamp that I got actively interested in Jessica Drew. I've never been a massive Spider-Fan, picking up Spider Man during the 80s and 90s occasionally (it was *all* about Transformers back then and I only had enough pocket money for one comic ), and whenever I saw 'classic' Jessica on a cover my first thought was 'superhero, female, generic'.

As a mildly OCD collector, I now actively limit what I get so that I don't end up with a bazillion comics and no money to buy food/go out/whatever. Nothing about the classic Jessica costume got me thinking 'now she looks like an interesting character'. The revamp, however, made me pick up Issue #5, which looked a bit in medias res, so I scoured for 1-4 and read them in quick succession. I (obviously) didn't find out a lot about her as a character from those 5 issues (other than her being very jaded and cynical, and good friends with Captain Marvel) so scoured the web for details. Now it's interesting, having read up on her back story, and she's an awesome character! Was all this influenced by a single change in character design? Yes.

Tim
    Current Long Term Reading: Lazarus (Rucka), Wonder Woman (Azzarello), Fables (Willingham), Spider-Woman (Hopeless)
    Old Favourites: The Dirty Pair, WildC.A.T.s, The Authority, The Sandman, Judge Dredd