Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Vortex

Amazing Member

Default Black Vortex

I don't think there's one out there already and I was figuring this story should have its own thread. Kinda belongs in both the X-Books board and the Marvel Comics board but I guess a majority of the titles in the story (not sure you can call it an event) would fall under the Marvel Comics category.

I'm really enjoying Black Vortex so far. The art's beautiful with the cosmos and all when Beast "sees everything" in GOTG #24 and Storm looked in the mirror in Alpha #1. Gamora's cloak is pretty cool, really all of the characters' Black Vortex reflections/transformations are interesting. The story's fairly entertaining so far. And it may carry some weight leading to Secret Wars and the whole Beast's repercussions thing. Though I'm not expecting it to be much weight. Either way, hoping this story can keep it up throughout. Looking forward to one of my current favorite writers Gerry Duggan's Nova tie-in!

From Alpha and the lead in issues in Starlord, I didn't get any impression that the Vortex is any different than any other number of devices/objects of power that can augment the possessor's abilities. I don't see what the big deal is about this. The characters seem to be freaking out over it, but nothing in the story has really made it feel out of the ordinary.

All-New Member

In the last image from GOTG 24, where we see the
    spoilers:
    vortexified characters, I am not sure about two of them : the one on the left of Drax, just above Peter; and the one above Magik. One of them must be Kitty and the other Bobby, but I can't guess which is which for sure. My bet would be : Kitty is above Magik; but the "elf" above Peter does seem a bit feminine too...
    end of spoilers

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinfuma View Post
    In the last image from GOTG 24, where we see the
    spoilers:
    vortexified characters, I am not sure about two of them : the one on the left of Drax, just above Peter; and the one above Magik. One of them must be Kitty and the other Bobby, but I can't guess which is which for sure. My bet would be : Kitty is above Magik; but the "elf" above Peter does seem a bit feminine too...
    end of spoilers
    I had the same dilemma, but the conclusion I reached was:
    spoilers:
    Kitty is above Peter and Bobby is above Magik. Bendis is behind this issue and he's been dropping hints in his writing that Bobby might "play for the other team," hence the drag-looking transformation. Also, the elf-ish character above Peter has a similar outfit (shoulder pads, etc) as Kitty.
    end of spoilers

Why ANYONE is allowing Hank McCoy to participate in ANYTHING is BEYOND me.

The man needs to be sedated. Yesterday.

I'm enjoying it, but right off the bat it has that "everything will be reverted to the status quo at the end" feel to it.

No way will they let Hank stay that way...

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

Kitty sure made a compelling argument against using the Black Vortex here. "Peter... Really? Carol, Come on! Illyana, seriously? Guys?!!? The Phoenix!!!!"

But my favorite line was from Thane. "That's not nice!" he says to Ebony Maw after being compared to his father.

Art was nice, except for the last page. Some got the short stick when it came to their Vortexed selves. Who was that supposed to be in the middle? The blonde, with baby lobster arms?
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

It had a nice little start so ill be reading most of it....hopefully.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I'm enjoying it, but right off the bat it has that "everything will be reverted to the status quo at the end" feel to it.

No way will they let Hank stay that way...

Well, the X-Men and Guardians will be back to normal... But we know there will be a new (?) character, Singularity, that we can see on the "Black Vortex Omega" cover and who was announced as part of "A-Force". So a small change to the status quo at least

This has just killed any joy in like 5 books for me. Particularly this issue is like a meta 4th wall breaking Inside joke about bendis current quality level. Maybe it's just my bias of reading so many 90's anti drug messege comics. But jeesh heros shouldn't be so quick to shot up whatever great unknown thing is handed to them.

The post above about the cookie cutter dialogue is so perfect.

What is drax's comic book volce and characterization?
    Last edited by FriendRoss; 02-15-2015 at 10:10 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    This has just killed any joy in like 5 books for me. Particularly this issue is like a meta 4th wall breaking Inside joke about bendis current quality level. Maybe it's just my bias of reading so many 90's anti drug messege comics. But jeesh heros shouldn't be so quick to shot up whatever great unknown thing is handed to them.

The post above about the cookie cutter dialogue is so perfect.

What is drax's comic book volce and characterization?
    He used to be smart, practical, and badass during DnA's run, but since the movie version was an idiot brute, comics version had to be that as well.

With Secret Wars around the corner, the impact of this event is nil. Which is a shame since I like the idea of the "vortexifying" of the Guardians characters... Rocket looks like he could be a badass!

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

Wrote a review. Check it out if you please.

http://www.comicosity.com/review-gua...the-galaxy-24/
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    He used to be smart, practical, and badass during DnA's run, but since the movie version was an idiot brute, comics version had to be that as well.
    Drax had brain damage until fairly recently, like Dumb Hulk level. Read Warlock & The Infinity Watch and you'll see. Somehow he got better when he appeared in Annihilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Drax had brain damage until fairly recently, like Dumb Hulk level. Read Warlock & The Infinity Watch and you'll see. Somehow he got better when he appeared in Annihilation.
    Giffen had Drax be reborn from his "Hulk" form in his Drax mini right before Annihilation. Essentially it was explained that every time he's reborn, his personality changes a bit. Which could easily explain why he acts how he does now, having initially died in the Cancerverse.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven