All-New Member

Default New reader, need help.

Hey guys, I'm new to comics and kind of intimidated by the vast scope of them. I have a few character's/groups I'm really interested in and am trying to get the broad stokes and interesting stories out of without trying to read and sift through 100 characters' backstories and 5 different timelines of the same characers. Are there any orgins stories/major arcs/important storylines I could/should read for:

Deadpool (Kills Marvel, Kills Deadpool, Killistrations...)
    Iron Man
    Loki
    Guardians (specifically Rocket)
    Spider Man (maybe the best of his 10 versions?)
    Avengers vs X-Men arch?

Any other particularly interesting "out there" characters?

Hi and welcome!

I wouldnt worry to much about where to start. Comics can seem intimidating at first glance but you can very much just jump in and get reading. Your best bet is to just pick something that looks interesting to you.

That said, if your after recs...

Deadpool - those minis you mentioned are all good. Joe Kelleys run is considered by many to be the difinative run. Its collected in the early Deadpool Classics trades (though i believe the first was his first appearence and follow up minis by other writers.) the recent run by Gerry Duggen was also a good read.

Iron Man- id start with Extremis by Warren Ellis for a modern retelling of the origin, followed by Invincible Iron Man by Matt Fraction.

Loki - not sure myself, but i hear great things about Gillens Journey into Mystery and the current Loki series by Al Ewing.

GotG - checkout GotG (and anything else cosmic) by Abnett and Lanning. The current series by Bendis is very new reader friendly, but has gotten a less than warm reaction around these parts. Still, you may dig it if youre coming off of the movie.

Spider-man - Ultimate Spider-man by Bendis. A modern retelling of the entire mythos based in Marvels Ultimate universe. One of the most consistently great series ive ever read. Almost 200 issues of awesome!
    Alternativly, if you wanna stick to "main universe" (aka Earth - 616) then id start with Brand New Day and follow the the trade reading order.

AvX - just read the AvX event itself.

Random recs -

Daredevil by Bendis followed by...
    Daredevil by Brubaker followed by...
    Daredevil by Waid (seriously, Daredevil!)
    Captain America by Brubaker
    Punisher MAX by Ennis (NOT for kids!)
    Fantastic Four by Hickman
    Thor: God of Thunder by Aaron
    Planet Hulk
    Astonishing X-Men by Whedon

All good rounder/new reader friendly.

There's a great tumblr that has recs for a fair amount of characters.

With Loki though, it'll depend on whether you're looking to read the current iteration of the character or not. For the current one, I basically just skimmed through a Wikipedia article, read the last run of Young Avengers (which is Lokicentric) and jumped straight into his ongoing.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, join the cult of current Loki! All are welcome! All are welcome! We at the Loki appreciate thread will be more than happy to help you.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

First of all I recommend getting Marvel Unlimited as it will make your first steps into the world comics a lot more accesable.

Deadpool: Do you want the extremely wacky Deadpool or the wacky but also tragic Deadpool (most prefer the latter)? If you want a Deadpool run where basically %50 of all panels are memes check out Daniel Way's run. If you want the better Deadpool check out Cable&Deadpool, Kelly's Deadpool run (not to everyone's tastes), Deadpool by Posehn and Dugan (#1-14 is fun but it really gets going after #15. It's still going but ending in 2 months) and Uncanny X-Force by Remender (also stars Wolverine, Archangel, Psylocke, Fantomex and Apocalypse).

Iron Man: if you are into somewhat older comics check out Michelinie's first run and a bunch of others from that era. If you are a modern only person check out Iron Man Extremis and Iron Man by the Knaufs.

Loki: definitely Journey into Mystery by Kieron Gillen (starting with #622). Loki also makes quite some good appearances in various Thor comics like Thor (1998-2004 run) #80-85 and Straczynski's run. If you like older comics you'll also find great Loki moments in Simonson's Thor run (including the famous "for myself" quote and Loki turning Thor into Throg, the frog of thunder).

Guardians of the Galaxy: the event that made the cosmic side of Marvel what it is today is Annihilation. It doesn't yet star Rocket and Groot but Gamora, Drax, Star-Lord, Thanos, Ronan the Acccuser, Nova, Nebula and some others all make appearances. Rocket and Groot are re-introduced after not appearing in comics for over 30 years in the sequel to Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest. Annihilation Conquest forst introduces the modern Guardians and the first modern Guardians comic spins off from Conquest. Practically all Guardians comics after the first run (2008-2010) are not worth reading. You can find reading orders online (http://rennesmash.com/marvel-cosmic-...-reading-list/).

Spider-Man: this not really my territory but I do recommend Kraven's Hunt. An amazing story.

Avengers vs X-Men is not a good event imo.

Out there characters? How out there do you want them to be?

I also recommend giving Daredevil a try as Daredevil has some of the best stories ever created. Basically start reading from Daredevil vol 1 #168-191 or start with Daredevil (1998) #1 and continue with that volume (almost everything frlm #1 till somewhere int the 120's is awesome with the exception of #20-25 (which is not good) and #9-15 (which is just above average)).
    Last edited by victorxd1999; 03-03-2015 at 02:09 PM.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

All-New Member

Those are more what I need Victor- sizeable arcs or chunks that I can find trades our collections of (also graphic novels)

Think like Death of the Family in Batman or something like the original run of Harley Quinn which was only 32(36?) issues.

Quote Originally Posted by swingjunkie View Post
    Those are more what I need Victor- sizeable arcs or chunks that I can find trades our collections of (also graphic novels)

Think like Death of the Family in Batman or something like the original run of Harley Quinn which was only 32(36?) issues.
    Ah okay then. All stories above can be found in collections. Just search for the name of the arc or the add the writers name (for example just search Deadpool Kelly if you want Kelly's run). If you meed help just give a shout. Let us know what you'll picl (if I only could choose 3 from my list I'd choose Annihilation, Journey into Mystery and Daredevil Born Again)
    Last edited by victorxd1999; 03-03-2015 at 02:12 PM.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Hey guys, I'm new to comics and kind of intimidated by the vast scope of them. I have a few character's/groups I'm really interested in and am trying to get the broad stokes and interesting stories out of without trying to read and sift through 100 characters' backstories and 5 different timelines of the same characers. Are there any orgins stories/major arcs/important storylines I could/should read for:

Welcome, swinjunkie.

I see Dark-FLux and victorxd1999 have already presented you with suggestions regarding the characters and events you inquired. Also I must agree with the former regarding "how to start" - lately, Marvel editorial's position has been that any random issue must be accessible to newcomers as "any issue is someone's first or someone's last").

I join victorxd1999 as well in his idea of the advantages offered by Marvel Unlimited. If you opt for it, almost all comics published by Marvel will be at your disposal sans the new ones (those are added to the database after 6 months of hitting the stores).

That said, I suggest you to look this thread in the Spider-man forum:

What's the best 616 Spider-Man comic since Kraven's Last Hunt?
    http://community.comicbookresources....en-s-Last-Hunt

Well, from Spider-man's world too, his "brother" Kaine Parker. He recently came back in the 2012 Scarlet Spider series I favor a lot. A fun journey of redemption by a very flawed man that balances the hilarity that comes from Kaine's irresponsibility and darkness (his own and that he encounters) as well as setting mysteries... like everything to do with the really, really weird female co-protagonist/supporting character/later partner in crime of Kaine: Hummingbird. Lots of details (and some spoilers) in my signature.

Another suggestion I make is Superior Foes of Spider-man. A superb comedy comic about ineffective Spider-man villains getting together to form a new incarnation of the Sinister Six... and failing. A lot. It even became a sort of favorite to the higher-ups at Marvel, who seeing its potential, decided to extend its issue numbers despite low sales (much like Stephen Wacker did with Scarlet Spider).

And some random, critically acclaimed and favorites of mine:

- Matt Fraction's Hawkeye

- The New Mutants/New X-men series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_X-M..._and_the_X-Men

- Runaways. Specially the first two volumes by Brian K. Vaughan.

- Dr. Strange: The Oath
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 03-03-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Definitely second Superior foes of spider-man. One of the best Marvel comics from the last 10 years. I even have ol' Boomerang in my avatar

All-New Member

Thanks Mario, you sold me on Scarlet Spider. Is there any background reading that might be helpful and where would I start the story?

Thanks Mario, you sold me on Scarlet Spider. Is there any background reading that might be helpful and where would I start the story?

There's a lot that could be considered background reading as Kaine's story previous to Scarlet Spider is pretty extensive.

Is it necessary though? Not really. Not in the slightest, I say.

I started with Scarlet Spider itself and enjoyed the heck of it without knowing anything of Kaine beforehand. The series itself informs you of the major points of Kaine's past. Mainly at the beginning and a bit later in issues #4 and the "Sibling Rivalry" crossover with Superior Spider-man (Superior Spider-man Team-Up #2 and Scarlet Spider #20). However, most of it (or the gist of it) is revealed through Kaine's own mindset and words.

After reading Scarlet Spider, by mere and pure curiosity, I started to go backwards: to 20 years ago when Kaine first appeared.

It is during the Clone Saga where his adventures started (of which the great Lost Years arc is the most important story - and a gem usually missed by most readers because of the other unsavory stories that plague the 2 year long storyline). Here a cool and very recommend summary and thoughts on it: http://thecoolkidztable.blogspot.mx/...-man-lost.html

Speaking of summaries, here is a link that can provide you a run-through of the basics of the Clone Saga itself in very brief words: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...k/TheCloneSaga

After Clone Saga, Kaine vanished from comics for almost 10 years, until he returned in Grim Hunt and later Spider-Island. The former took place when Kraven the Hunter's family got a weird idea in their heads and decided that the best way to accomplish it would be killing Spider-man and decided to go after Kaine too (Kain was mostly living the life of a vagrant at that point). The latter is the story of how everyone in New York gained spider-powers and a loooot of stuff happened. During it, Peter helped Kaine get free of his physical maladies (as well as some other stuff) and the two left each other in a good note, with Kaine deciding to go out of New York to, finally, find his own life.

He thinks of Mexico and heads there, but makes a stop in Houston, Texas. It is here that Scarlet Spider begins...

Hope you like it,
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 03-05-2015 at 08:35 AM.

Deadpool (Kills Marvel, Kills Deadpool, Killistrations...)
    Iron Man
    Loki
    Guardians (specifically Rocket)
    Avengers vs X-Men arch?

The other guys hit the main deadpool runs but if you'd like a more in-depth list of TPB's for him here you go: (I've posted this on other Deadpool recommendations and I do update it)

Essentials:

X-Force HC Vol.1-3 which collects his earlier appearances as a villain so he isn't the center of the story
    Deadpool Classic vol. 1 TPB (the transition period to Kelly's run which collects the Circle Chase and Sins of the Past miniseries and basically starts his anti-hero turn also has issue 1 of Kelly's run and his first appearance New Mutants #98)
    Deadpool by Joe Kelly Omnibus or Deadpool Classic vol. 2-5 TPBs (Joe Kelly's run)
    Deadpool Classic vol. 9-10 TPBs (Gail Simone's run plus Agent X) is referenced in Cable & Deadpool
    Deadpool & Cable Omnibus (Fabian Nicieza’s Cable & Deadpool run)
    Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender Omnibus (Rick Remender’s Uncanny X-Force run)
    Deadpool Marvel NOW/All New Marvel NOW by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn(especially the third arc: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) and related miniseries:
    - Deadpool: Dracula's Gauntlet #1-7 also by Duggan & Posehn leads into issue 27 of the main series
    - Hawkeye vs Deadpool #0-4 by Gerry Duggan ties in to the main series after #34
    - Death of Wolverine: Deadpool and Captain America #1 by Gerry Duggan is an epilogue to the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and is collected in Deadpool: The Ones with Deadpool TPB

Honorable Mentions:

Deadpool Classic Companion TPB (will be out on April 2015, and collects various guest appearances from his villainous days to Kelly’s run, I personally liked Wolverine #88, Avengers #366 back-up, and Heroes for Hire #10-11)
    Deadpool Classic Vol. 6 TPB (Christopher Priest's run)
    Deadpool Vol. 2 #56 by Buddy Scalera (the only issue in Deadpool Classic Vol. 7 that’s worth reading, you’re probably better off using Marvel Unlimited if you want to read this)
    Deadpool Classic Vol. 8 TPB (Frank Tieri's run)
    Deadpool Complete Collection Vol. 1 TPB (collects the first 12 issues of Daniel Way’s run along with Thunderbolts #130-131 which crosses over with Deadpool and also includes Wolverine:Origins)
    Deadpool Vol. 11 HC (Daniel Ways “Dead” arc which is probably the best story of that run)
    A+X #8 (one of the stories is a Hawkeye/Deadpool team-up by Christopher Hastings)
    Thunderbolts “No Mercy” TPB (second half of Charles Soule’s run on the Marvel NOW/All New Marvel NOW Thunderbolts series)
    Deadpool Kills Deadpool TPB by Cullen Bunn
    Deadpool Bi-Annual #1 by Paul Scheer and Nick Giovanetti (collected in Deadpool: The Ones with Deadpool TPB)
    Deadpool vs X-Force TPB by Duane Swierczynski if you liked villainous early 90's Deadpool

Optional:

Deadpool Classic Volume 11-12 provides some additional information on the Deadpool Corps. if you want more background info before reading Deadpool Kills Deadpool, also check out Deadpool Vol. 10 HC for additional info.

Recommended Non-Canon Stories:

Night of the Living Deadpool TPB by Cullen Bunn
    Deadpool: Art of War TPB by Peter David
    Return of the Living Deadpool #1-4 (issue 2 comes out today)

The other guys have also mentioned the modern Guardians stuff though I'd recommend Guardians 3000 after you check out DnA's Guardians run since Marvel Cosmic in general has some of the wall stuff and they do make an appearance so if they intrigue you then you can check them out. You can also look at Skottie Young's Rocket Raccoon run though it is more humor focused and you could check out the Rocket Raccoon & Groot: The Complete Collection TPB which compiles some early stories like the 1980's Rocket Raccoon mini as well as the recent back-ups from the Annihilators and Annihilators: Earthfall
    Last edited by pinoypanzer; 03-04-2015 at 07:22 AM.