Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Comics newbie just got Marvel Unlimited

So yeah, I am really new to comics and I just subscribed to Marvel Unlimited. I've been getting interested in actually reading the comics from watching all the Marvel movies, and seeing Guardians and Winter Soldier pushed me to finally start reading. So far I have read the 1998 Inhumans run and am now reading Guardians of the Galaxy from 2008. Really enjoyed both of those.

As a newb, MU is pretty overwhelmin. Looking for any recommendations on what to check out next. I am particularly interested in the upcoming movie characters (Inhumans, Black Panther, Ultron etc). Looking for a good place to start, also looking more towards recent iterations, I just like the more modern artwork a bit more.

Thanks for the help!

Always pay attention to works by writers and artists you like that are published by the big two, also, buy their creator-owned stuff as well because that means you're supporting them and giving supports to independent publishers.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Here are some recommendations for the upcoming movie characters (imcluding sequels):
    Black Panther (1998-2003) the whole run (try a few issues first and if you like it you should read the rest tpo because it's all excellent work)
    Dr Strange the Oath
    Annihilation (this a comic event that rebooted almost all cosmic characters from Marvel. Among the characters involved are Star-Lord, Thanos, Ronan the Acccuser, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, Nebula, Nova and more. Read the Drax the Destroyer mini from 2005 first and then look for Annihilation in the event section. All the issues are presented in the right order there. If you like this event, you can also read Nova (2007) #1-4 and the Annihilation Conquest event after it. Conquest also features Ultron and it leads directly into Guardians of the Galaxy (2008))
    Civil War
    Captain America (2004) whole run (tje first 14 issues (without #10) are the Winter Soldier story. The rest follows the same kind of storytelling (dark spy stories). Again, read what you likethough the whole run is quality)
    Avengers (1998) #19-22 (definitely the best modern Ultron story)
    Thor (1998-2004) #80-85 (tgis story is about Ragnarok. After this story, Thor wasn't featured in any comic for 3 years. It's pretty damn awesome. If you like this you can also continue with Thor (2007) which is pretty damn awesome for the most part (starts getting weaker from #615 onward but the stuff before that is awesome-sauce)).

And the last one:
    Silver Surfer #34-38, #40, Thanos Quest #1-2, Silver surfer #44-50 and Infinity Gauntlet #1-6 (you can also skip the Silver Surfer issues but they really add to the story. It's an older story but it's probably the main inspiration for Avengers 3 and 4and it's brilliant. The main villain is Thanos but it also features the old versions of Drax, Gamora and Nebula (Annihilation changed a lot of cosmic characters so Drax and the others are way different than the movie or later comic versions), Dr Strange and practically all other big Marvel characters. If you aren't sure just try Thanos Quest #1. There is a good chance you'll be blown away by the awesomeness that is Thanos.)

Any other characters you're interested in?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by pruf View Post
    So yeah, I am really new to comics and I just subscribed to Marvel Unlimited. I've been getting interested in actually reading the comics from watching all the Marvel movies, and seeing Guardians and Winter Soldier pushed me to finally start reading. So far I have read the 1998 Inhumans run and am now reading Guardians of the Galaxy from 2008. Really enjoyed both of those.

As a newb, MU is pretty overwhelmin. Looking for any recommendations on what to check out next. I am particularly interested in the upcoming movie characters (Inhumans, Black Panther, Ultron etc). Looking for a good place to start, also looking more towards recent iterations, I just like the more modern artwork a bit more.

Thanks for the help!
    Since your liking the 2008 Guardians of the Galaxy run, did you also read the Annihilation Conquest: Starlord mini which essentially set it up? It seems you haven't finished it yet so I'd mention that the run concludes in the Thanos Imperative event. If you liked the modern Marvel Cosmic I'll also add in the Annihilation event which occurs before Annihilation Conquest and here is a reading order at post #1051

http://community.comicbookresources....ciation/page71

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Here are some recommendations for the upcoming movie characters (imcluding sequels):
    Silver Surfer #34-38, #40, Thanos Quest #1-2, Silver surfer #44-50 and Infinity Gauntlet #1-6 (you can also skip the Silver Surfer issues but they really add to the story. It's an older story but it's probably the main inspiration for Avengers 3 and 4and it's brilliant. The main villain is Thanos but it also features the old versions of Drax, Gamora and Nebula (Annihilation changed a lot of cosmic characters so Drax and the others are way different than the movie or later comic versions), Dr Strange and practically all other big Marvel characters. If you aren't sure just try Thanos Quest #1. There is a good chance you'll be blown away by the awesomeness that is Thanos.)

Any other characters you're interested in?
    I'll definitely endorse this if you really want to know some more about Thanos, this was in the early 90's so I don't know if you want to go that far though. You'd probably also get more out of it if you check out the Warlock Saga but that was in the late 70's and I know you said you want to stay close to the modern era. But if you're ever up for a trippy, pseudo-philosophical story I'd check it out. Here is a reading order at post #984
    http://community.comicbookresources....ciation/page66

All-New Member

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely check out the Annihilation Conquest: Starlord, I did feel like i was missing out on something starting the Guardians comics. I had already added Dr. Strange The Oath, was planning on checking that out next, so I'm glad that was on your list, looks like I'm on the right path. Hoping to get to all of these, at least getting a good start. It's pretty overwhelming to just look at the advertised 15000+ comics and wondering where to begin, lol. And yeah, not opposed to reading older stuff at all, so I'll look at the Warlock stuff too, don't really know too much about him jumping in where I did.

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

I've been reading Marvel comics for about 20 years and there's tons and tons on MU that's completely new to me as well.
    I also highly recommend just doing a random pick occasionaly
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong

Quote Originally Posted by Talkie Toaster View Post
    I've been reading Marvel comics for about 20 years and there's tons and tons on MU that's completely new to me as well.
    I do this sometimes too. I've been surprised more than a few times by starting a random run or picking up some issue who's cover art or title happened to grab my attention.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely check out the Annihilation Conquest: Starlord, I did feel like i was missing out on something starting the Guardians comics. I had already added Dr. Strange The Oath, was planning on checking that out next, so I'm glad that was on your list, looks like I'm on the right path. Hoping to get to all of these, at least getting a good start. It's pretty overwhelming to just look at the advertised 15000+ comics and wondering where to begin, lol. And yeah, not opposed to reading older stuff at all, so I'll look at the Warlock stuff too, don't really know too much about him jumping in where I did.
    The Oath is pretty good. It's a nice emotional story about Strange's connections with the people around him, mixed with some nice trippy magic.

If you really want to find out your tastes, read the first issue of all recommendations and continue with the ones you like the most. That's what I did when I asked everyone to list their top 3 favorite Marvel runs. It gave me countless new stories I ended up loving.

Also, do you want recommendations for the characters from the upcoming Netflix series? Those 4 characters have had some amazing runs.

Let me know which runs you deciee to read and how you like them. I like finding out what other newbies Start with (I myself started with Civil War).
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I definitely support The Oath. I'd also recommend Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment graphic novel. If you scroll down to post #989 on the link with Warlock Saga, you'll see the Dormammu Saga which is one of my all time favorite Doctor Strange stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Talkie Toaster View Post
    Did this once. Ended up reading Gruenwald's Quasar and it's still one of the most boring comics I ever read. But maybe that's just my bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoypanzer View Post
    I definitely support The Oath. I'd also recommend Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment graphic novel. If you scroll down to post #989 on the link with Warlock Saga, you'll see the Dormammu Saga which is one of my all time favorite Doctor Strange stories.
    Those are great stories but especially the Dormannu Saga is quite dated. I'd love to recommend stuff like the Eternity saga or Engelhart's run but it's not really newbie stuff.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Did this once. Ended up reading Gruenwald's Quasar and it's still one of the most boring comics I ever read. But maybe that's just my bad luck.
    I got Annihilation and Peter David's Hulk vs. Man-Thing. Luck of the Draw.
    Cyclops was right

BANNED

Welcome aboard pruf! I hope everyone treats you well. I agree with you about the modern artists. A lot of the older stuffs' colors are just too flat. Look for stuff drawn by Alex Ross. He's incredible.

I discovered Astonishing X-Men through Unlimited (the 2004 series written by Joss Whedon). It's my all-time favorite X-Men story, and it has a lot of the type of humor you'd see in stuff like his Avengers movie. It goes from #1-24, plus the finale in Giant-Sized Astonishing X-Men, which is annoying because you have to search separately for it (and it's really confusing if you go from 24 to 25 without knowing that like I did).

Dan Slott's She-Hulk is another favorite of mine (the 2004 one moreso than the 2005 one).

As for movie characters, Doctor Strange: the Oath is classic one, and features one of my favorite obscure characters in Night Nurse. It may also be a plot for a movie one day. For the Inhumans, there's Paul Jenkins' miniseries, but the current Inhuman book from Charles Soule is more easily digested. It ought to have five or six issues up by now on MU. War of Kings is good for Inhumans (and other cosmic characters) also.

Lastly, Annihilation, like FlashingSabre said, is one of the best Marvel crossover events in recent memory. Definitely read Annihilation: Nova and Annihilation: Silver Surfer too. Nova has a really good Drax the Destroyer in it.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Marvel Unlimited is a great service. If I'd known about it as a newbie, I would have saved squillions.

If I really enjoy something by a particular writer, I try to check out other comics he/she has written. It's a good way to find new characters, written in a way you'll more than likely enjoy.
    "Self has no time for this."