Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Cheetah will be in the new Suicide Squad line-up

No foolin'. She's identified as the team's "psychotic killing machine," so it sounds like nuanced characterization may not be in the cards for her, but we won't know 'til we read it. I hope it works out well!

I haven't read Sean Ryan's take on Suicide Squad, nor heard much about it. Anyone reading it?

The story is here.
    Last edited by Frank; 02-12-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Hopefully she doesn't get beaten by Sugar & Spike. Sorry, I had to say that after this month's Green Arrow. I really hope the Suicide Squad writer does her justice. I will say that the art looks great so far.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've always preferred Cheetah's evil to be more one of callousness than outright sadistic malice. She doesn't get off on hurting people, but she isn't too bothered by it either. "Psychotic killing machine" makes her sound like an average Arkham inmate.

On the other hand, I like how she's pointed out as being the untrustworthy one. Her acting against Waller would be pretty damn awesome if they sell it right.

Alongside Reverse-Flash, no less.

Dare I hope for an echo of their Pre-52 Speed Thrilkill Romance?!!!
    zoom cheetah.jpg

Wait a minute. There is seriously another new lineup of Suicide Squad?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Poor Black Hand. From cosmic-level threat to the entire universe to......a pathetic chump who can be enslaved by a powerless human sociopath.

Not happy to see Cheetah in another non-WW book. Definitely not happy to see her once again rendered helpless by a powerless human. Not thrilled to see Poison Ivy in an environment that can only feed her murderous tendencies, with little or no of the complexity that Gail Simone tried to give her in the Batgirl Annual, either.

All-in-all? Not happy about this news. I don't generally like the Suicide Squad concept to begin with, but this team especially fails to thrill me. Seeing Diana's most vicious enemy once again being dumped on is just another reason to pass on this.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Poor Black Hand. From cosmic-level threat to the entire universe to......a pathetic chump who can be enslaved by a powerless human sociopath.

Not happy to see Cheetah in another non-WW book. Definitely not happy to see her once again rendered helpless by a powerless human. Not thrilled to see Poison Ivy in an environment that can only feed her murderous tendencies, with little or no of the complexity that Gail Simone tried to give her in the Batgirl Annual, either.

All-in-all? Not happy about this news. I don't generally like the Suicide Squad concept to begin with, but this team especially fails to thrill me. Seeing Diana's most vicious enemy once again being dumped on is just another reason to pass on this.
    Look at who she's on the team with: Parasite, Poison Ivy, Black Hand, Reverse Flash. This is hardly a list of arch-nemeses.

It's apparent that Cheetah is not to be regarded as Wonder Woman's arch-enemy, anymore. Considering that Circe has already resurfaced in S/WW, and that Cassandra the Mad and First Born have disappeared, ..this should not surprise us. Consider, also, that Meredith Finch has announced that she is about to reintroduce a new, old villain, who will be developed into Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis - was it Hekate, ..whose kindness [Ha'ha.] brought us the First Born?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-13-2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

You guys better temper that optimism Sean Ryan has been doing an awful job.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Isn't Reverse-Flash Flash's arch-nemesis?

Anyway, I'm slightly excited, slightly not. I don't think this team will last long, but I'm happy to see Cheetah on an ongoing. I *really* hope they don't portray her as purely psychotic. I like the more mastermind-type that we saw pre-Flashpoint.

Also, I would've preferred Giganta or Silver Swan on the team over Cheetah since I was hoping the Finches or whoever will be writing it would use her in the main WW book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Isn't Reverse-Flash Flash's arch-nemesis?

Anyway, I'm slightly excited, slightly not. I don't think this team will last long, but I'm happy to see Cheetah on an ongoing. I *really* hope they don't portray her as purely psychotic. I like the more mastermind-type that we saw pre-Flashpoint.

Also, I would've preferred Giganta or Silver Swan on the team over Cheetah since I was hoping the Finches or whoever will be writing it would use her in the main WW book.
    yeah only thing I can hope is portray cheetah as a powerhouse. now about her being a mastermind, i'm not sure about it.

Quote Originally Posted by napolid View Post
    You guys better temper that optimism Sean Ryan has been doing an awful job.
    new suicide squad is very lackluster

No, NO NNOO!!

>Ahem<

The Committee Advancing The Cheetah Among Villains Everywhere (also known as The C.A.T.C.A.V.E.) loudly protests this new development for the Cheetah as it clearly violates one of our eight goals:

The First Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "The Cheetah ALONE is Wonder Woman's Arch-Enemy."
    The Second Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "The Cheetah will always possess a look that inspires respect and/or fear, never ever ridicule."
    The Third Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "If Wonder Woman is the Greatest Female Super-Hero Ever, then Cheetah is the Greatest Female Super-Villain Ever."
    The Fourth Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "Since only there is only one Wonder Woman, there is only one Cheetah."
    The Fifth Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "Whatever scope of Wonder Woman's heroic role, thus the scope of Cheetah's villainous objectives are likewise."
    The Sixth Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "If Wonder Woman is 1/3 of DC's Heroic Trinity w/ Superman & Batman, then Cheetah is 1/3 of DC's Villainous Trinity w/ Luthor & Joker."
    The Seventh Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "The Cheetah is always her own boss and never the hench or underling of another character or entity."
    The Eighth Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "The Cheetah always represents the polar opposite of whatever Wonder Woman stands for."

There are only two teams that are worthy of the Cheatah (my prerogative on spelling): the Legion of Doom / Injustice League (and that's ONLY if the other arch-enemies, particularly Luthor and Joker, are already on it) and Villainy Inc (and again, only if she is the leader).

This Suicide Squad where she presumably answers to Amanda Waller is a clear slap in the face of Cheatah.

Unacceptable. The Cheatah is no one's subordinate. And she belongs in the Wonderverse.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    No, NO NNOO!!

>Ahem<

The Committee Advancing The Cheetah Among Villains Everywhere (also known as The C.A.T.C.A.V.E.) loudly protests this new development for the Cheetah as it clearly violates one of our eight goals:

The First Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "The Cheetah ALONE is Wonder Woman's Arch-Enemy."
    The Second Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "The Cheetah will always possess a look that inspires respect and/or fear, never ever ridicule."
    The Third Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "If Wonder Woman is the Greatest Female Super-Hero Ever, then Cheetah is the Greatest Female Super-Villain Ever."
    The Fourth Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "Since only there is only one Wonder Woman, there is only one Cheetah."
    The Fifth Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "Whatever scope of Wonder Woman's heroic role, thus the scope of Cheetah's villainous objectives are likewise."
    The Sixth Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "If Wonder Woman is 1/3 of DC's Heroic Trinity w/ Superman & Batman, then Cheetah is 1/3 of DC's Villainous Trinity w/ Luthor & Joker."
    The Seventh Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "The Cheetah is always her own boss and never the hench or underling of another character or entity."
    The Eighth Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "The Cheetah always represents the polar opposite of whatever Wonder Woman stands for."

There are only two teams that are worthy of the Cheatah (my prerogative on spelling): the Legion of Doom / Injustice League (and that's ONLY if the other arch-enemies, particularly Luthor and Joker, are already on it) and Villainy Inc (and again, only if she is the leader).

This Suicide Squad where she presumably answers to Amanda Waller is a clear slap in the face of Cheatah.

Unacceptable. The Cheatah is no one's subordinate. And she belongs in the Wonderverse.
    The only way she works in SS, imo, is if it's part of some plan she has - that she's playing cat and mouse with Waller.

I cannot for the life of me figure out, though, how Waller could possibly control Black Hand. I mean theoretically, while Cheetah had gotten herself incarcerated for her own purposes back in JL, they *could* have implanted something to blackmail her with.

But Black Hand? He's sort of the physical embodiment of death itself. Can't see how/what Waller could do to keep him on a leash.

So if the Cheetah joined the Villainy Inc? That would violated the cat cave?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Look at who she's on the team with: Parasite, Poison Ivy, Black Hand, Reverse Flash. This is hardly a list of arch-nemeses.

It's apparent that Cheetah is not to be regarded as Wonder Woman's arch-enemy, anymore. Considering that Circe has already resurfaced in S/WW, and that Cassandra the Mad and First Born have disappeared, ..this should not surprise us. Consider, also, that Meredith Finch has announced that she is about to reintroduce a new, old villain, who will be developed into Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis - was it Hekate, ..whose kindness [Ha'ha.] brought us the First Born?
    We've gone through cycles of this. Until they can come up with a new arch nemesis and actually make it stick, Cheetah is always the one they go back to, so she's it. History has shown that we are unlikely to see either the First Born or Cassandra again, and the new/old villain Meredith Finch seems to have revamped is Donna Troy, who will undoubtedly be reformed. That leaves Circe and Hecate, and since the former has more history with this title and makes the latter redundant, I don't see Hecate being around for the long haul. Circe is the only other villain who might deserve the arch nemesis title, and she still has a long way to go to catch up with Cheetah in the other media and merchandising department.

And DC hasn't really given Cheetah a chance in the New 52. One two part story arc and an aborted mini series plot, and now she's stuck on the Suicide Squad? Both her Villain's Month issue and her debut arc in JL sold well and received good to great reviews, (not around here, but that's hardly surprising, is it?) so nobody can say she hasn't been well received by readers. What the hell is going on?

When I read the thread title, for some reason I assumed it was for the live-action movie.

As an aside, some of those villain costumes are a bit of eyesores.