Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    What a human has that a chimp does not have is fine motor control, a chimp might have the shoulder joint capable of throwing a spear, but probably not the ability to control it's muscles during the throw or release said spear in a manner that allows it to land anywhere remotely close to where it wants it to
    It's probably both, given that Neanderthals apparently had the same problem with throwing despite at least having enough motor control to keep pace with Homo Sapiens with technological developments until their very end as a species. Great explosive strength, great sprinters, great ambush hunter with a thrusting spear. Outcompeted by us when environmental changes made persistence hunting with throwing weapons a more effective strategy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthaur View Post
    Chimps actually have stronger leg muscles than humans, despite all appearances to the contrary. They don't have (as mentioned) human endurance, and probably not human throwing accuracy (due to differences in joint structure and nervous system motor neuron ratio). I imagine they'd be more similar to Neanderthal humans in their hunting/combat ability than to Homo Sapiens.
    I figured their legs were stronger... but it's just that their legs are much shorter in relation to their torso. honestly, I imagine chimps throwing spears would be like watching a child throw a paper airplane with too much force and watching it smack into the ground. even chimps with human intelligence. if the motor control isn't there, and they don't have the longer legs to help them set up the shot... it just seems like it wouldn't work out. if they were up in the trees where they could use their altitude advantage and concentrate spear attacks in volleys I could see that being effective. having them attempt to use spears from ground level against the raptors just seems like a bad idea.

of course, if the chimps have human level intelligence they would figure this out fairly quickly and adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I figured their legs were stronger... but it's just that their legs are much shorter in relation to their torso. honestly, I imagine chimps throwing spears would be like watching a child throw a paper airplane with too much force and watching it smack into the ground. even chimps with human intelligence. if the motor control isn't there, and they don't have the longer legs to help them set up the shot... it just seems like it wouldn't work out. if they were up in the trees where they could use their altitude advantage and concentrate spear attacks in volleys I could see that being effective. having them attempt to use spears from ground level against the raptors just seems like a bad idea.

of course, if the chimps have human level intelligence they would figure this out fairly quickly and adapt.
    But these are planet of the apes chimps who can dual weild machine guns on horseback with amazing accuracy, and can throw spears even things like iron fence posts like a javelin. So just like Bruce Banner dying of radiation sickness in real life, the apes get their feats as shown

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    But these are planet of the apes chimps who can dual weild machine guns on horseback with amazing accuracy, and can throw spears even things like iron fence posts like a javelin. So just like Bruce Banner dying of radiation sickness in real life, the apes get their feats as shown
    LOL, Hollywood Rambo chimps? fair enough.

y'know, I haven't actually seen the reboot of this franchise. is it worth watching?

sometimes remakes can miraculously do a good job of representing the source material. (like that remake of "Evil Dead" that came out a few years ago)