Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pharah x Mercy
    There is a land called passive-agressiva, and I am their queen.

Default Kate Kane: Batwoman Appreciation 2018

Welcome

(I promise Kate isn't shooting at you. Just the bad guys.)

Here be, the brand new, shiny thread devoted to Kate Kane.

Why celebrate Kate Kane?: Because she's one of the most prominent LGBTQ members of the DC Universe, and is one of the few things DC did right, post-reboot. Because rather than turn Kate into another vehicle for mass titillation, DC managed to create a compelling character whose struggles were all too real and are something we can all relate to. While some of us might not be able to relate to being kicked out of West Point for our sexual orientation, we can relate to the sense of injustice Kate felt afterwards, and we can also relate to the desire to be true to ourselves, even if we're punished for it in the process.

And Kate's compelling narratives were delivered with fantastic prose that was penned by Greg Rucka, and absolutely sensational art that was gifted to us by J.H Williams III (and later, W. Haden Blackman). While Batwoman's creative team has been shuffled a few times, and is currently penned by Marc Andreyko, what Kate represents still stands, and this groundbreaking character deserves to be lauded. So let's do that here.

Information about Kate.

Sites devoted to her:

http://hellyeahkatekane.tumblr.com/

Credit for the wallpaper goes to kestinstewart. The gif is mine.
    Last edited by beetlebum; 09-19-2014 at 02:55 AM.
    Psychologically, the guns you use will define you ~ Pharoahe Monch

I like ladies who wear purple | Kate Bishop | Helena Bertinelli

Wonder Woman is The Love of My Life | Forza Azzurri

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Trevor McCarthy art work from Batwoman Annual #1

Batwoman Annual 1 page 39.jpg
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Pharah x Mercy
    There is a land called passive-agressiva, and I am their queen.

Default Fan art of Kate

Kate Kane, Helena Bertinelli, Selina Kyle and others

by snackage and runmonsterun

And ...

by msciuto
    Psychologically, the guns you use will define you ~ Pharoahe Monch

I like ladies who wear purple | Kate Bishop | Helena Bertinelli

Wonder Woman is The Love of My Life | Forza Azzurri

From Batwoman #17

Batwoman 17 page 10.jpg

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

batwoman0.jpg

God I love Kate.

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Stanley Lau's concept for this statue is fantastic. I just got this statue, and I love it, but I'm bummed DC didn't go with this and instead decided to give her the grappling gun.

This thing is cast porcelain, I think. It feels so fragile, like it was made to snap off. But mostly, "just hands" would be so much cooler to me than grappling gun. Still, looks cool as hell in my office.

I'm am sticking with the Andreyko/Haun run, but only out of sheer willfulness and love of the character. Both story and art have been middling to me. Looking forward to the shift in artist. Georges Jeanty is hit and miss for me, but I will enjoy the change of pace. Plus, bringing in monster-y supporting characters should be fun for a bit.

We'll see...

EDIT: Talkin' about Batwoman 35.

Last edited by heiro5; 07-24-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Also, saw this cosplay. Pretty good, but she's got her bracers spun all backwards. Whaat..?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by heiro5 View Post
    EDIT: Talkin' about Batwoman 35.

She is going to be the leader of a group ? If confirmed, thats welcome. She deserves it. Every members of the Bat army should be leader.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    She is going to be the leader of a group ? If confirmed, thats welcome. She deserves it. Every members of the Bat army should be leader.
    Not totally clear. The DC page says:

The new storyline “Batwoman and the Unknowns” starts now with new artist Georges Jeanty (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)! Batwoman is neck-deep in danger with her new allies Ragman, The Demon, Clayface and Red Alice! What is going on and how did Batwoman end up here? Find out beginning in this issue!
    http://www.dccomics.com/comics/batwo...11/batwoman-35

So it kind of sounds like it, but maybe they are just in the story and on her side..? And is this an ongoing situation or just a single story arc? We'll see.

Dave Stokes
    http://stokesbook.deviantart.com/art...shed-160700809

Pryce14
    http://pryce14.deviantart.com/art/BATWOMAN-397042986

Cameron Stewart

Pre-redesign, 52 costume. Dan Brereton

Adi Granov

Adam Hughes, makin' me laugh. Nightwing... nope! Batman... nope! Catwoman... Oh, yeah!

Skyscraper48

Joel Gomez

Howdy Captain

Incredible Member

So with Batwoman joining a team of other supernatural characters, do you think she should stick to using only technology against magic and the supernatural? Or do you think she'd be pretty cool as a vampire (which is being hinted at) or knowing a little magic. Imagine an arc with her teaming up with Zatanna! How awesome would that be?

Kate Kane is my favorite Bat-character, easily.

I've been a fan of Kate since she was introduced back in 52- her relationship with Renee was beautiful, with just enough tragedy to avoid becoming a cliche (Their scene on the rooftop in The Crime Bible miniseries still gives me chills).

I really worry about her being integrated too much into the regular Bat-Universe though- there are already so many characters in there that I don't want her to just become another face in the crowd!

Batwoman has definitely been my favourite book of the New 52 though. I love Kate so much, I got a Batwoman tattoo!