Page 11 of 210 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

100% Kate will have a leading role in something post-Convergence. They can star her in an new Outlaws books, new BoP, Spyral, Checkmate, SHADE or JLD, Question/Batwoman, Wonder Woman/Batwoman, World Finest.

Quote Originally Posted by LostinFandom View Post
    I don't think The Unknowns ever really generated much excitement. The two back to back flash forward issues felt more like exposition than giving a team feel or any sense of what it was about. (I thought it was too much to have those issues like that. After the Rape articles came out I thought maybe it was to assure readers that what was happening with Nocturna wouldn't last long and was about bring Bstwoman back to the horror occult.)
    The *concept* was exciting, a team and Red Alice and Ragman and space adventures etc - all that stuff is awesome. The problem as mentioned upthread however is that the first two issues barely explored any of that properly. It's all stupid cartoon fights and one-liners. It's not even that the arc began en media res. It's that nothing of substance actually happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork_Fish View Post
    They fired Williams and Blackman because they didn't want a lesbian wedding; the current creative team has been criticized by how they handled the editorially mandated breakup, and the subsequent...rapey lesbian vampire thing
    As Punisher already pointed out they blocked the marriage because apparently Animal Man is the only character permitted a stable relationship (it's kind a huge part of the premise). It's not a gay thing, it's a DC-characters-must-be-miserable- and-alone-forever thing.

Spectacular Member

Because it needs to be said: Williams and Blackman weren't writing a healthy and happy relationship. They did include a lot of problematic stuff included in how they presented Kate's sexuality (including having her sexually assaulted by a minor villain).

I'm going to continue reading Batwoman until the end. I fact I'm re reading it and blogging about it. I'm still interested in Red Alice, partially because I can't imagine Rucka or Williams & Blackman going there. (Also I thought issue #36 was one of the strongest issues).

I like the Birds of Prey idea. My other idea would be that she have a larger role in the second year of Batman Eternal, but I'm not a big fan of that series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LostinFandom View Post
    Because it needs to be said: Williams and Blackman weren't writing a healthy and happy relationship. They did include a lot of problematic stuff included in how they presented Kate's sexuality (including having her sexually assaulted by a minor villain).
    I don't see it this way. From what I know the villain just kissed her, nothing on andreyko levels

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I don't see it this way. From what I know the villain just kissed her, nothing on andreyko levels
    She/he did it to unnerve her while misleading her and the DOE. It was arguably more gratuitous and kind of trans-phobic. And it wasn't the only incident. I bring this up a lot, because it needs to be said: they paired Kate and Maggie's first sex scene with Bette being gutted by a pedophile over nine pages! Kate stalked Maggie and broke into her office immediately following their first date. In a later issue Kate "accidentally" drugged Maggie with Scarecrow toxin. That plot point was "resolved" by having Kate drug herself with the same toxin as Maggie watched. That is such a selfish, stupid act. Maggie should have walked out on her while she hallucinated, but instead they played up the love scene aspect. That was their second to last issue.

BANNED

Maybe a new outsiders book, but with Kate as the lead? BoP is a good idea, as is a new Outlaws book w/o Jason.

BANNED

Wonderella ‏@wonderella 4 hHá 4 horas
    Happy Hanukkah to Batwoman, hope you are allowed to spend it with those you are editorially permitted to love.

I saw this on twitter and laughed. then I cried

Ultimate Member

A book with Kate becoming the (somewhat reluctant) mentor to the younger Bat-characters (Bette, Steph, Cass, Harper, etc). Given her "questionable" methods for training Better before, it could be interesting to see Kate in a role that she's not immediately comfortable with.

I hope there's at least one arc in her new series that deals with something like transphobia or homeless LGBT youths. I've always felt like the series could be...more "gay", I guess? As a person in the LGBT community, I'd really like a comic that talks about issues concerning us head on. DC seems to consider Kate's sexuality as a backseat personality trait, which is disappointing. I'd love a gay superhero that dealt with inherently gay issues, even if it's not their raison d'etre.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post
    I hope there's at least one arc in her new series that deals with something like transphobia or homeless LGBT youths. I've always felt like the series could be...more "gay", I guess? As a person in the LGBT community, I'd really like a comic that talks about issues concerning us head on. DC seems to consider Kate's sexuality as a backseat personality trait, which is disappointing. I'd love a gay superhero that dealt with inherently gay issues, even if it's not their raison d'etre.
    Christy Marx Birds of Prey run emphasized how all the characters (minus Batgirl) were escaping working for corrupt organizations which failed them. (Black Canary was with Team 7, Strix from the Court of Owls, Condor from Basilisk). Since speculating that Batwoman could be a member of the next Birds of Prey I've been thinking that Kate/Batwoman fits better with that unifying theme for BoP members than Batgirl. Reading your comment I wonder about doing a more about if we took working for marginalized people including LGBTQ could be the starting point for a BoP with Batwoman.

I just think we're getting another BoP before we get a Batwoman.

So I just went and picked up a bunch of back-issues, having not read since to the end of the wolfspider arc due to financial setbacks.

The story went downhill. Kate lost a lot of IQ points. Mags got thrown under the bus. The art went downhill. And now there's a rapey lesbian vampire thing? In space? And it's getting cancelled?

What the hell happened to this title?

I've been following this Batwoman since she first showed up, and I will be so sad if this is the note she gets rested on.

Question #2 is a Rucka book, in case you forgot

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Question #2 is a Rucka book, in case you forgot

I saw that cover earlier and gleeked out completely. Beyond the Cully art and his superior Huntress costume design ... I re-read Pipeline really recently, and 52 even more recently (obviously I'm constantly re-reading Morrison's Batman - the only other place that really held the standards of Rucka's Batwoman up after his Tec run). It's been an age since I read Half A Life. This just by nature of the characters involved is a sequel to all three of those stories. And FC: Revelations, I suppose.

I keep seeing and being distracted by all the goodies in the Convergence line-up but I think when all is said and done this is the one that's going to stick with me, just because it features Cavalieri-Huntress and Renee as The Question. I mean it's even thematically perfect as a two-parter with Two-Face, right?

Anyway, cover gleeked. I didn't expect Huntress and Batwoman to turn up.

I believe this is their first time appearing in the same place at the same time.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Rucka with Renee and Kate on the cover? Sold!

---

I've just realized that Batwoman is the only book from the initial launch that I've followed from issue one, and it's ending in two weeks. Kinda depressing. Let's hope there's something new for Kate in 2015.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

---

I've just realized that Batwoman is the only book from the initial launch that I've followed from issue one, and it's ending in two weeks. Kinda depressing. Let's hope there's something new for Kate in 2015.
    Has the new JLU creative team been announced? As there isn't a new BoP or Batwoman in the May titles that seems a good guess as to where she could be appearing regularly for now.

The Question cover with Batwoman and the Bertinelli Huntress guarantees I'll be buying that.

Controversial Opinion: I think Morisson's Batwoman worked against Rucka's plans (and involved a light straight washing).
    Last edited by LostinFandom; 03-02-2015 at 03:45 PM.
    I'm currently Re-Reading Stranger's in Paradise. Please join me.

---

I haven't seen anything ongoing advertised with Batwoman involved, whatsoever.

It's disappointing. She's the first 'new' DC character I've gotten into in quite a while, and then the creators that sparked my interest in her left, the new team just didn't cut it, and now they've apparently put her in limbo. That's mainstream comics, I guess. I know everyone seems to favor Greg Rucka's version (and it might be great; I never read it) but I hope that SOMEONE out there cares enough about the character to do it justice again in the near future. There's just too much potential there to let lie fallow and waste.