Page 6 of 210 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    I agree that the vampire angle is a little tacky. I do think it'd be cool if she learned some basic magic, though. But I also like the idea of Kate having to really think about ways to take down magical and supernatural beings that don't require punching. Like in the first arc of the New 52 when she we saw her meditating to figure out how to take down La Llorona. That was nice.
    This angle does contribute to the original nature of the book, but I guess my overall questions is always, "Why is a street level hero, with no powers and just incredible physical training being tasked to take on supernatural threats?" Ultimately if you want her to be a warrior in the dark side of the DC world, you have to give her the tools to really go up against them. If you aren't willing to do that, you should just draft Zatanna or someone to do this job and leave Kate to deal with Mr. Bones, Scorpio, Intergang, etc. Kate's trained against terrorists, spies, mobsters and street level crime. It really does not make much sense to have her fighting vampires or ghosts, particularly when there are many other DC characters who are more suited for these battles.

Probably. But I'd still love a Zatanna team-up. Or another one with Wonder Woman. I definitely think Kate deserves to be promoted to the DCU at large. Put her in JLD or have her appear in an issue of Batman (I really do think Kate should know Bruce is Batman. And Selina should too, for that matter). Rotate her in and out of the Birds of Prey with Babs so we can see her kick ass with Dinah. I'd just like for more people to recognize Kate. She's just such an awesome character.
    Agree with everything you're saying.

Batwoman cosplay by MostFlogged
    http://mostflogged.deviantart.com/ar...oman-470212981

I'm a goddamn soldier!

Incredible Member

Probably. But I'd still love a Zatanna team-up. Or another one with Wonder Woman. I definitely think Kate deserves to be promoted to the DCU at large. Put her in JLD or have her appear in an issue of Batman (I really do think Kate should know Bruce is Batman. And Selina should too, for that matter). Rotate her in and out of the Birds of Prey with Babs so we can see her kick ass with Dinah. I'd just like for more people to recognize Kate. She's just such an awesome character.
    Hear, hear. Its a shame Kate still does not know her cousin is the goddamn Batman. I mean does she even know Bruce Wayne is her cousin ?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    This angle does contribute to the original nature of the book, but I guess my overall questions is always, "Why is a street level hero, with no powers and just incredible physical training being tasked to take on supernatural threats?" Ultimately if you want her to be a warrior in the dark side of the DC world, you have to give her the tools to really go up against them. If you aren't willing to do that, you should just draft Zatanna or someone to do this job and leave Kate to deal with Mr. Bones, Scorpio, Intergang, etc. Kate's trained against terrorists, spies, mobsters and street level crime. It really does not make much sense to have her fighting vampires or ghosts, particularly when there are many other DC characters who are more suited for these battles.
    While I understand your line of reasoning, Kate's first costumed appearance had her fighting werewolves and gorilla people. Her story in 52 was centered on the Religion of Crime and the Crime Bible that had supernatural creatures in them. Her taking on the supernatural has been in her ballpark since she first appeared. And while you may not like the street-level vigilante taking on the supernatural, I think it opens up so many different story possibilities. Not only that, it gives Kate a place in Gotham and in the greater DCU. With so many Bat characters, they should each have their own voices and niches (not that they can't branch out). There are other things that make Kate different, but the supernatural settings that she gets involved in make her stand out. I don't think her fans necessitate her deal with the supernatural in every story and every arc, but neither should we try to completely divorce her from that which she's been most heavily involved in for most of her publication history.
    Last edited by Shimbo; 07-24-2014 at 08:00 PM.

I don't think her fans necessitate her deal with the supernatural in every story and every arc, but neither should we try to completely divorce her from that which she's been most heavily involved in for most of her publication history.
    This sums up how I feel about Kate as well. She's been too intrinsically linked to the supernatural elements of Gotham to just ignore that part of her history, but I would be interested in seeing her in some other types of stories. Remember that story arc from Detective Comics that was never collected? That one was really cool.

Speaking of collections, any word on why Batwoman: Volume 5 is going to be Softcover only? I know it's anal, but I'm sad it wont match all my HCs!

Incredible Member

In "Batwoman," Andreyko will soon introduce a team called The Unknowns which will draw on more horror-themed characters like Clayface, Ragman and The Demon as well as a new character who may be related to Kate Kane. The arc will take the characters to outer space, though the writer promised that he would also ground the story in Batwoman's own personal journey as faces from her past in the military will return to challenge her own sense of self. "It's a real honor to deal with this character because I feel like she really fills a void in superhero comics," he said, particularly noting Batwoman's desire to have a normal life outside of superheroing.
    I definitely wasn't expecting Kate in space. But, y'know what, I'm down for some Kate in space. I'm down for Kate anywhere and everywhere because she's an amazing freakin' character and I want to read more of her in different and weird situations and places. You can also tell that Andreyko really loves Kate, too. I think he's done very well by her and I'm really excited to see how this The Unknowns arc plays out.

A reader excited to see Ragman return asked whether the shared Judaism of Batwoman and Ragman would play a role in the series. Andreyko joked that "We're going to be doing a Passover special" before giving a more serious response that the character's background will remain intact from his pre-New 52 version and that he has long term plans for Ragman's inclusion in the book. The writer also revealed that the mystery character in the Unknowns team will be called Red Alice.
    Also definitely excited for Ragman. And let's not kid ourselves, Red Alice is obviously Beth. I think it's a really cool idea, but only if Andreyko brings her crazy back. And she really should be Kate's Joker, as cliched as some may find that.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Kate Kane is such an interesting, layered character and I've really been enjoying reading through her story so far. Elegy was amazing.

My one problem... J.H. Williams III's artwork is so dynamic and stunning that when someone else tries to draw her in some other style, I'm not sure I'll be able to love it quite as much as Williams'. The art in the books is among some of the best I've ever seen. I mean WOW.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by comic_nerd View Post
    Kate Kane is such an interesting, layered character and I've really been enjoying reading through her story so far. Elegy was amazing.

My one problem... J.H. Williams III's artwork is so dynamic and stunning that when someone else tries to draw her in some other style, I'm not sure I'll be able to love it quite as much as Williams'. The art in the books is among some of the best I've ever seen. I mean WOW.
    Yeah, Batwoman has had some amazing art. You should check out the "Cutter" arc that ran in 'Tec after Elegy. JHW3 drew almost every issue of the New 52 run until the fourth volume, when Trevor McCarthy came in. It's definitely a jarring shift, but he definitely fit with Batwoman. After the original creative team, however, Jeremy Haun took over and the change was...drastic. But I, and many others, have grown to really appreciate his art, so much so that a lot of us are disappointed by a change in artist coming up in issue 35. Jeanty is taking over, and while I wasn't familiar with his work he seems like an adequate artist. I really would love a return to the more experimental art this book used to have, but I'll take a Batwoman book with less than original/stellar art over no Batwoman book at all.

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out!

I actually wasn't aware that the creative team for Batwoman was changing after #35 until just recently. It's a real shame. Seems like lots of New 52 books are changing the creative team after #35.

I definitely agree with you, though-- even if the art isn't as amazing as JHW3' current stuff, I'll still keep coming back to Batwoman.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Quote Originally Posted by comic_nerd View Post
    Thanks, I'll definitely check it out!

I actually wasn't aware that the creative team for Batwoman was changing after #35 until just recently. It's a real shame. Seems like lots of New 52 books are changing the creative team after #35.

I definitely agree with you, though-- even if the art isn't as amazing as JHW3' current stuff, I'll still keep coming back to Batwoman.
    Wait, when you say 'creative team' you just mean the artist is changing, right? Andreyko is still writing after #35, correct?

Finally playing catch up on this. I got the first 2 hardcovers a year ago. Enjoyed them immensely, though the art change in volume 2 was a bit of a draw back and some of the writing was suffering. Im now reading vol 3 and 4 digitally. A few issues in, and its leaps and bounds improved. JH's art is back, the writing, Diana guest starring etc. Im going to read through until the creative switch happened and decide whether to continue reading.

Was that second zero issue not one of the best? Real good stuff.

Wait, when you say 'creative team' you just mean the artist is changing, right? Andreyko is still writing after #35, correct?
    WHOOPS! I got my wires seriously crossed here, I am so sorry. I was thinking of Wonder Woman with Azzarello and Batgirl's creative team leaving after #35. I meant to say JHW3 leaving after #26. I'm actually not familiar with the current creative team on it right now. I'm following Batwoman right now only in trades and I'm only up to volume 2, so I'm behind the current single issue run right now. My sincerest apologies!

Incredible Member

Yup. Only the artist is changing. But he could only be penciling the one issue. I'm interested to see his take on Batwoman, space, and the supernatural elements of the book. That said, I was really getting used to Haun. Whatever happened to Jason Masters? I thought he did a nice job as a fill-in for that one issue in the first Andreyko arc.