Page 8 of 210 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

I'm still soured by the creative team getting bitch slapped with wrapping up their story. And the annual just bummed me out even more. I love this character though. The solicitations for this new team she's becoming apart of sounds interesting. I've skipped all the monthly issues since the switch, though. Is the current writer good? I mean, he'd need to blow my mind for me to feel getting back on would be worth it; to cave in my principles and all :-P

As for her Rogues, the DEO stuff was a huge draw. Why make another Gotham crimfighter have the same cookie cutter villains as the others? With all the spooky, moody settings, I see no reason to not have someone focus on the supernatural stuff that everyone else overlooks. I mean, she HAD Croc until he was forced out by editorial. Taking the hyperbolic references of him from Arkham Asylum: SHOSE and making them literal was awesome. He's always been a favorite and now he had a chance to shine. Nope. Plucked out, back to old thug croc (though the villains month issue was awesome). And I was digging the Alice story, and all the Crime Bible stuff carried over from Rucka's various books. My only gripe was too many damn dead children. It was getting depressing. But overall, easily one of the best books of the reboot. I just wish everyone could've agreed on the whole wedding thing and JH and co. Could have stayed on. Who knows. Maybe bridges can be mended. They owe that guy some carte blanche after the more than a decade of gorgeous art he gave DC.
    Last edited by MykeHavoc; 08-24-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    I'm still soured by the creative team getting bitch slapped with wrapping up their story. And the annual just bummed me out even more. I love this character though. The solicitations for this new team she's becoming apart of sounds interesting. I've skipped all the monthly issues since the switch, though. Is the current writer good? I mean, he'd need to blow my mind for me to feel getting back on would be worth it; to cave in my principles and all :-P

As for her Rogues, the DEO stuff was a huge draw. Why make another Gotham crimfighter have the same cookie cutter villains as the others? With all the spooky, moody settings, I see no reason to not have someone focus on the supernatural stuff that everyone else overlooks. I mean, she HAD Croc until he was forced out by editorial. Taking the hyperbolic references of him from Arkham Asylum: SHOSE and making them literal was awesome. He's always been a favorite and now he had a chance to shine. Nope. Plucked out, back to old thug croc (though the villains month issue was awesome). And I was digging the Alice story, and all the Crime Bible stuff carried over from Rucka's various books. My only gripe was too many damn dead children. It was getting depressing. But overall, easily one of the best books of the reboot. I just wish everyone could've agreed on the whole wedding thing and JH and co. Could have stayed on. Who knows. Maybe bridges can be mended. They owe that guy some carte blanche after the more than a decade of gorgeous art he gave DC.
    I've been enjoying Andreyko's run. He's best at characterization and natural dialogue. I'm still a little curious as to why he spent the first six issues on such an underwhelming villain, but he's picked up the pace with the Nocturna arc. Just be prepared for some changes. Bette had a decent character arc under the first creative team, but Andreyko hasn't really used her much and when she has shown up, she's back to her more bubbly persona. The Kane family is no longer really present. Kate doesn't dress in her signature goth-rockabilly whathaveyou style anymore (which I hope Jeanty brings back). Try it out. Or pick up issue #35 in October and let us know what you think.

Thanks. Some of those points are a bit "wtf" worthy, but when that new arc starts, I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    I've been enjoying Andreyko's run. He's best at characterization and natural dialogue.
    Funny how we all see things differently. For me, it was the sudden absence of characterisation that ultimately put me off Andreyko's run. I just found his dialogue so... I don't know... so perfunctory. It all felt very flat and generic, Kate especially. For me, Marc's run feels like a fill-in writer, going through the motions but not really connecting with the character on any level.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Funny how we all see things differently. For me, it was the sudden absence of characterisation that ultimately put me off Andreyko's run. I just found his dialogue so... I don't know... so perfunctory. It all felt very flat and generic, Kate especially. For me, Marc's run feels like a fill-in writer, going through the motions but not really connecting with the character on any level.
    Haha, that's just my opinion. I have heard some others express similar sentiments about Andreyko's Kate, but I personally don't see it. I hope you'll try out the new arc, and if not, that you'll come back to the book when/if there's a different writer (assuming you have dropped the book, that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Batwoman and Zatanna. Batwoman and Black Canary (maybe establish Dinah as bisexual?). Batwoman and Catwoman. Batwoman and Starling (somebody mentioned them having a one-night stand in a BoP thread. I think that'd be hysterical. Of course, Batwoman has to keep her mask on).

In terms of villains, I don't really know. I'd prefer for more additions to her rogues gallery. Although the Ra's and Lady Shiva suggestion sounds great to me.
    Ummm, how about Batwoman and... Flamebird! I'm tired of Bette being shoved to the sidelines. From Elegy on, it was the intention to bring her back. There's no reason to ignore and not revamp her in a better light. I so hate "Hawkfire", makes no sense to me at all. And lately she hasn't appeared in I think 2 issues. I suspect she is being quietly dropped. What a shame. I had such hopes we would get some serious continuity with silver age Robin and Bat-girl moments.

I did not favor the post crisis "Robin-stalker" take on Bette, but I always thought making her Flamebird was a wonderful way to homage both the original NW/FB team and the distinct possibility that there could be something more between Dick and her. I await your brick-bats!

Ultimate Member

My problem with Andreyko is that since he took over, Kate seems to have become a lot less competent. She's making amateurish mistakes that she really shouldn't. How spoilers:
    Nocturna discovered her identity was face-palm worthy, really Marc, really?
    end of spoilers That's incredibly OOC. Also, I didn't buy spoilers:
    how the breakup with Maggie was handled
    end of spoilers and the whole spoilers:
    Lesbian-vampire thing (especially since Nocturna practically sexually assaulted her in that last scene)
    end of spoilers just makes me cringe.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Incredible Member

BW_Cv37.jpg

BATWOMAN #37
    Written by MARC ANDREYKO
    Art by GEORGES JEANTY
    Cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE
    On sale DECEMBER 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+
    The cultish crimes continue to corrupt Gotham City – and their next target is...Clayface? Also, Batwoman’s toxic connection to Nocturna continues to spiral down to a place where even demons fear to tread!
    Last edited by Shimbo; 09-15-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Ultimate Member

Ugh, oh dear sweet merciful crap.

Cool, but that cover looks like Rafael didn't even try though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Ugh, oh dear sweet merciful crap.
    Haha, I'm guessing the lesbian vampire stuff is pissing you off?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

It really ticks me off that JHW isn't going to be on this book anymore. I absolutely love his artwork. I would buy this book for his gorgeous art alone. Hopefully he will end up on a big book. It would be amazing to see him on Daredevil
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member

While I dislike Vampire Batwoman, I really enjoyed Etrigan's, Ragman and Alice's designs in the FE one-shot. And I didn't mind Clayface either.

Pharah x Mercy
    There is a land called passive-agressiva, and I am their queen.
    Psychologically, the guns you use will define you ~ Pharoahe Monch

I like ladies who wear purple | Kate Bishop | Helena Bertinelli

Wonder Woman is The Love of My Life | Forza Azzurri