Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Default Batgirl #39 Preview/Discussion

http://www.advocate.com/arts-enterta...irl-39-preview

Yay! Batgirl and Black Canary are back together again!

Get ready for "This direction for Babs is terrible/awesomeballs!" round 30.

Looks great as usual. I really like the cover with the large text contrasting small Babs in the corner.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Always Rakzo

The art looks beautiful as you would expect.

This series is sooo goood!

Incredible Member

Wow, Babs Tarr's Black Canary is gorgeous.

Astonishing Member

Nice guesswork with the brain-algorithm, folks. And while I'm congratulating awesomeness - nice concept in-story, creative team!

I do hope that the algorithm once it takes the shape of "deadliest foe or most helpful tool needs to be wrangled?" or however, has actual resemblance to the old "Oracle Face". That'd be some killer fan-service but in a totally logical way.

Meanwhile in Canary Land, I just plain can't wait for "Bitch Canary" the Series. Forthright Dinah just feels right to me. Plus she's totally my type.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

If they're implying that the new villain is a model of Barbara's brain gained sentience, that's awesome.

Nice to see this character arc coming around. And Bitch Canary is again just lovely

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    Grabbing the popcorn.

BANNED

In all seriousness, the preview is looking good. This book is at its best when it's not being overly clunky with dialogue. Let the art show some action.

So it is the algorithm going sentient somehow after all, pretty cool concept by the writers using Babs' mind in digital form against her. Can't wait to see where this is going.

And I'm happy Dinah and Babs are letting go of their anger towards each other, I loved seeing them training together and Babs Tarr's Dinah remains fantastic. Really excited a note Fletcher taking her solo, and I'm sure Annie Wu will be just as amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    Doesn't that apply to almost every comic book, ever? Pesky opinions, they're just never consistent!

Anyway, so Canary's all nice now because... reasons. (And by reasons, I mean narrative ones. Not "Well she's getting a solo book now so they need to try and make Dinah more likeable/less one-dimensional again").

And Babs finally cottons on to what's been going on a month after almost everyone who read the last issue already worked it out. Man, she so smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Anyway, so Canary's all nice now because... reasons. (And by reasons, I mean narrative ones. Not "Well she's getting a solo book now so they need to try and make Dinah more likeable/less one-dimensional again").
    Because that's the core of who Dinah is. She looks out for the people she loves. Yes, she was pissed at Babs (and not without valid reasons) but she's not going to let bad things happen to her. She's calmed down and sees that her friend needs help so she's there for her. That's who Dinah is--good to see her back in character.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Quote Originally Posted by klynn View Post
    ...but she's not going to let bad things happen to her. She's calmed down and sees that her friend needs help so she's there for her...
    That's who the pre-Flashpoint Dinah was. So far, I've yet to see the woman you're describing in the DCnU.

Let's not forget, when Babs asked Dinah for help dealing with Dagger in #37, Dinah just ignored her. Sure, Dinah could have been dealing with her own life-and-death situation at the same time, hence why she couldn't even reply to Babs... But nothing in the issue suggested that had been the case.

Don't get me wrong. Whatever the reasons for this sudden turnabout may be, I'll be glad to see the back of one-note, mean-girl Canary. But just having her essentially shrug her shoulders and want to be all pals again, that just seems a bit out of the blue based on her minimal characterisation in this book to date.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Nice guesswork with the brain-algorithm, folks. And while I'm congratulating awesomeness - nice concept in-story, creative team!

I do hope that the algorithm once it takes the shape of "deadliest foe or most helpful tool needs to be wrangled?" or however, has actual resemblance to the old "Oracle Face". That'd be some killer fan-service but in a totally logical way.

Meanwhile in Canary Land, I just plain can't wait for "Bitch Canary" the Series. Forthright Dinah just feels right to me. Plus she's totally my type.
    YES! to the bolded part. Babsgirl vs. Dark Oracle would be insanely awesome. I'm surprised no one has thought about it yet.