Astonishing Member

Default What is the situation concerning the endless Superman copyright problems concerning Convergence?

While reading the solicits for the upcoming event, I noticed one thing: classic, white haired Kal-L Superman is back (the long row of "death scenes", Convergence: Action Comics, etc.). I don't know why this surprised me, but I have got the impression that it might be an indication of the current situation about Superman copyright. Thoughts anyone?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I personally don't really think this indicates anything specifically to the copyright of Superman, aside from the fact that the Shuster/Siegel heirs' legal fight is all but over (baring some hail mary eleventh hour miracle in their favor), and perhaps TPTB at Warners/DCE feel more comfortable showing/using various past incarnations of Superman. However the main reason they are likely using Kal-L and other "Supermen" is simply because Superman being the face of DC, his various versions over the decades is indicative of the various eras of publishing history that CONVERGENCE is meant to celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I personally don't really think this indicates anything specifically to the copyright of Superman, aside from the fact that the Shuster/Siegel heirs' legal fight is all but over (baring some hail mary eleventh hour miracle in their favor), and perhaps TPTB at Warners/DCE feel more comfortable showing/using various past incarnations of Superman. However the main reason they are likely using Kal-L and other "Supermen" is simply because Superman being the face of DC, his various versions over the decades is indicative of the various eras of publishing history that CONVERGENCE is meant to celebrate.
    This makes me wonder, was Convergence meant to be a 75th anniversary event that got pushed back by delays in other books?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltraWoman View Post
    This makes me wonder, was Convergence meant to be a 75th anniversary event that got pushed back by delays in other books?
    Possibly, but doubtful. The reason why this story "looks back" is to close the book on DC's first 75 years as it moves from New York to Burbank, and Superman being the flagship character for most of that time, is in some ways the "face" of CONVERGENCE (which is why Issue #0 seems focused on him). This story is not really specifically about Superman, but more about DC morphing completely from the "old" DC...which was a comic book publisher based in New York City, to the new DCE...an entertainment company that just happens to publish comics among other enterprises. It's been going that way since about 2009, but this series and the move makes it official. So, no, I doubt it was a Superman event pushed back.

N7 Krypton Elite N7 Joseph Shepard's Avatar

I don't know why this just hit me now...but the copyright lawsuit might be the reason why the New 52 Earth 2 books started with calling its Superman "Kal-L" but have since switched it to "Kal-El", same with Power Girl who's forever been Kara Zor-L and is now Kara Zor-El. It's a small change but to the nitpicky few (like myself) it's annoying and I hate how they never answer that simple question (why the change?).

Quote Originally Posted by N7 Joseph Shepard View Post
    I don't know why this just hit me now...but the copyright lawsuit might be the reason why the New 52 Earth 2 books started with calling its Superman "Kal-L" but have since switched it to "Kal-El", same with Power Girl who's forever been Kara Zor-L and is now Kara Zor-El. It's a small change but to the nitpicky few (like myself) it's annoying and I hate how they never answer that simple question (why the change?).
    Wasn't there an editorial switch on that book? I'd assume it's just a mistake that no one caught.

From what I remember, I dont actually think Clark's Kryptonian name was on the line for the lawsuit, having first seen print at a later date than the early Action issues and the newspaper strips that were being fought over. Though I've largely stopped paying attention to the courtroom drama, so I really cant speak with any amount of authority here.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.