Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Reverse Happy's Avatar

Default The Breaker (New Waves)

A discussion thread for the Korean manhwa The Breaker, and its ongoing sequel New Waves.

The new English teacher, Chun-Woo, is not your ordinary teacher. Shioon, a victim of constant bullying, unexpectedly witnesses Chun-Woo's fighting prowess, and begs him to make him his disciple. Chun-Woo claims he can teach Shioon only if he is truly determined, and Shioon must put his life on the line to prove it. It turns out, however, that Chun-Woo and his powers are more than meets the eye. Shioon makes a grand entrance into the Murim, the hidden world of martial arts.
    The sequel homepage has raw chapters free to read, if you know Korean.

So, New Waves 160.

Southern Red Star is back! ...And not two pages later, he puts up a death flag. Jeez, Gyu-Bum.

Considering that's the Sunwoo clan parking garage, did Dokhengrang get there by tearing through whatever guards were outside?

Lae-Won (glasses guy) continues to make mischief and somehow escape karma. I guess we can't call him "ignorant slut" anymore under the new community rules

And I just remembered Jinie is going to be sitting this arc out, unless somebody attacks home base OH WAIT
    Last edited by Reverse Happy; 05-16-2014 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added link to series homepage

Default Chapter 161

Okay, the Sunwoo garage really needs a gate or something, because apparently anyone can just stroll/drive in there and do whatever

I hope both fighters survived, but Dokhengrang is more likely to bite it. (Actually, come to think of it, Steel Wall is likely to take the hit for Gyu-Bum. NOOOOOOO!!)

Looks like Western White Star's back from what was probably a full-body cast. Now I hope somebody breaks all his bones again for Dae-San

...Aaand 2-week hiatus

Series seems to be going on hiatus quite often.

After the SMR vs. GMR fight, the creators have been having them left and right.

Mighty Member

wow, I do hope that explosion only kills off mooks... or that we at LEAST get some closure on Dok haeng rang's change of heart.

the fact that they're dismissing the actions of Dok Haeng Rang's betrayal of having any lasting pimact means it will probably blow up in their face. he was the only member of the SUC that didn't make it a habit of underestimating his adversaries and losing. it looks like Cool Guy could be the next person to go 'Darth Vader' on the gang.

Default Chapter 162

Hiatus over!

Whew, most everyone made it out of the bomb okay.

And someone got Kamehameha tips this chapter
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Default Chapter 163

WTF am I reading?

spoilers:
    Oh come on, GMR's only being a douche because he had his memories of Shioon and Shiho wiped? That makes the whole conflict 90% less interesting! I would forgive anyone who felt like dropping the series at this juncture.

Come to think of it, this could also explain Sosul's behavior.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Reverse Happy; 06-20-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Spectacular Member

Translated chapter out

I really like this series. But no way Chundomoon's man-ju (?) has never gotten hit

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse Happy View Post
    WTF am I reading?

spoilers:
    Oh come on, GMR's only being a douche because he had his memories of Shioon and Shiho wiped? That makes the whole conflict 90% less interesting! I would forgive anyone who felt like dropping the series at this juncture.

Come to think of it, this could also explain Sosul's behavior.
    end of spoilers
    making GMR pure evil was a serious retcon-- and turning Sosul evil is an even bigger one. I was hoping for some sort of explanation-- but I hope it's better than this. we knew that Shiion was going to try and redeem GMR-- and now this simply means that, inspite of what GMR said previously, that redemption could still be possible. Sosul's sudden transformation into a force of evil needs even more explanation. I'm sticking with the series-- because it's usually been worth it. this isn't quite Naruto levels of cheesy retcon just yet. (for awhile Naruto seemed to have a retcon every month)

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    making GMR pure evil was a serious retcon-- and turning Sosul evil is an even bigger one. I was hoping for some sort of explanation-- but I hope it's better than this. we knew that Shiion was going to try and redeem GMR-- and now this simply means that, inspite of what GMR said previously, that redemption could still be possible. Sosul's sudden transformation into a force of evil needs even more explanation. I'm sticking with the series-- because it's usually been worth it. this isn't quite Naruto levels of cheesy retcon just yet. (for awhile Naruto seemed to have a retcon every month)
    I just figured he only ever opened up to Shiho and Shioon, hardened completely after they "died", and can't easily go back to being nice after getting all recommitted to revenge. I thought the point of the SUC video was that Shioon only knew GMR's good side, while Gyubum and the Murim only knew his vengeful side. On one hand, GMR being an ass to Shioon makes him harder to sympathize with, but OTOH, I found the character shift plausible enough, and it made for a more interesting conflict than memory-wiping. (Which scenario makes him a bigger tool is arguable, but I think he retains more badass points if he's in mental control.)

As for Sosul, I figured she was just bored and playing along while waiting to get home. I chalked up the deadpan killing to Murim culture and the old villains meaning nothing to her.

Default Chapter 164

Car bombs, car bombs everywhere.

Default Chapter 165: The plot thickens!

Dear Diary: Today, glasses-guy was not an *******

Dangit, all the Elders and Ha-Il were in that car. That bomb had better not have killed them all off

BANNED

I really need to get back into this but i am so far behind. Have not read since around the attack on the school

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse Happy View Post
    Dear Diary: Today, glasses-guy was not an *******

Dangit, all the Elders and Ha-Il were in that car. That bomb had better not have killed them all off
    after his second or third incident where anybody in their right mind would have killed him off-- I suspected that Glasses Guy had a character shield and was being prepared for this moment. still, it's taken so long to reach this point I'm glad it finally happened.

I hope the elders and Ha-Il survived too. if all of those guys just killed off in exchange for making Glasses Guy a fellow protagonist I'm not convinced that was worth the trade!

Default Chapter 166

Owned!

Edit: Somebody noticed that Shioon's finisher combo was the same as GMR's from chapter 1 of the prequel, panel-for-panel. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    after his second or third incident where anybody in their right mind would have killed him off-- I suspected that Glasses Guy had a character shield and was being prepared for this moment. still, it's taken so long to reach this point I'm glad it finally happened.
    I figured he was one of those annoying villains who people would keep letting off until after he caused some irreversible disaster.

I hope the elders and Ha-Il survived too. if all of those guys just killed off in exchange for making Glasses Guy a fellow protagonist I'm not convinced that was worth the trade!
    The other two elders haven't even gotten to do anything yet. Hopefully that keeps them alive a while longer
    Last edited by Reverse Happy; 07-11-2014 at 01:33 AM.