Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What do you think should be done with Marvel's villains after Secret Wars?

It seems like recently a lot of Marvel villains have been deemphasized to make way for hero vs. hero conflicts or they have relegated to substandard stories where they are just being plot devices that exist to get punched by the hero.

What do you want to see done with Marvel's villains after secret Wars? If its a reboot, they can give some of the lame villains more developed back stories to make them more compelling characters, similar to what was done with Mr. Freeze in BTAS. If its not a reboot, perhaps they can refocus on some of the villains that have been left behind in recent times and make them more compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    It seems like recently a lot of Marvel villains have been deemphasized to make way for hero vs. hero conflicts or they have relegated to substandard stories where they are just being plot devices that exist to get punched by the hero.

What do you want to see done with Marvel's villains after secret Wars? If its a reboot, they can give some of the lame villains more developed back stories to make them more compelling characters, similar to what was done with Mr. Freeze in BTAS. If its not a reboot, perhaps they can refocus on some of the villains that have been left behind in recent times and make them more compelling.
    Well, maybe they could turn into antihéroes like Magneto, and well, like Thanos in Time Runs Out.

In the Thor #5 thread I have been calling my shot: The big bad by 2017, other than Thanos and a new Infinity Gauntlet saga, will be a revitalized Roxxon Corporation as depicted in Jason Aaron's Thor, possibly led by Dario Agger / Minotaur.

The reason is Roxxon can serve as a villainous organization across multiple media, from movies to television to the comics. An evil Western conglomerate, especially an oil / energy company, can be sold world-wide as a villain, including most importantly China.

BANNED

- Doctor Doom to allow ultimate doom (goat legs and all) to stay in his latveria as a partner of sorts.
    - maybe have a mini series or something for spider man set a while back and have Alistair Smythe be a major villain in the book and have him be in his old design with the blue reptilian legs and the twin scythes on his shoulders. Get a good artist for it marco checchetto or Jerome opena would be great.

Villains will always be there.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Maybe they could have them concoct evil plans, battle superheros and fill the role of evil in the eternal struggle between good and evil. Like they traditionally have.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Fantastic Member

I would like to see the villains actually go back to being villains rather than them all being reformed Geoff Johns-esque anti-heroes.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionofasgard View Post
    - Doctor Doom to allow ultimate doom (goat legs and all) to stay in his latveria as a partner of sorts.
    I wonder if they are setting that up since Ultimate Doom aka Victor Van Damme said in All New X-men he wanted to meet his other selves.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

One of the problems I have with Marvel is that they tend to utilise the same big, recognisable villains too often and neglect others.

One of the things I love about Jason Aaron is that he kind of bucks that trend. In his Thor run he created Gorr (who is awesome) and Agger/the Minotaur (who is awesome) and when he was given an event he used the painfully underutilised Orb, Dr. Midas and Exterminatrix.

I guess I'd like to see more writers follow Aarons example.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Avengers struggle a new all-star Masters of Evil membership.

BANNED

Maybe they could form a support group for former meaningful characters and concepts. Sort of like the villains circle in Wreck It Ralph. Death could be the moderator and they could sit around in a circle, talk about the old days when they were important and dangerous and come to accept that those days are gone. The heroes are better villains than they villains could ever hope to be.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I would love to see villians used again in Marvel U. However the heroes are to busy fighting each other. I would love for all the villians to unite during Secret Wars and create a massive force to be reckoned with.

Amazing Member

I'd like to see the villains being more organized, ala Old Man Logan. Villains are so often solitary, or a heavy hitter with a henchman group. Aside from what, the Sinister Six and Masters of Evil, there's so rarely a threatening collusion. Let's see the Avengers take on a Sinister Six led by Mr.Sinister and backed up by 5 genetically enhanced bad guys from around the marvel u. I want to see Spider-man try to take on the Brotherhood while Norman Osborn wages a smear campaign against the X-Men, the whole while Hope's X-Force tries to fight a guerrilla war against the goblin gang to stop him. Mix things up and have the bad guys get over their egos a bit and work smarter.

I want villains to be more threatening, rather than just silly punching bags for the heroes to entertain themselves between hero vs. hero fights.

And I want them to succeed sometimes. It creates gravitas.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    One of the problems I have with Marvel is that they tend to utilise the same big, recognisable villains too often and neglect others.

One of the things I love about Jason Aaron is that he kind of bucks that trend. In his Thor run he created Gorr (who is awesome) and Agger/the Minotaur (who is awesome) and when he was given an event he used the painfully underutilised Orb, Dr. Midas and Exterminatrix.

I guess I'd like to see more writers follow Aarons example.
    Well that's something that I have wanted for a while. I think there are lots of potentially interesting B-list and C-list villains who could provide some interesting stories, but the writers either hardly use them or repeat the same old stories with them or just use them as punching bags for the heroes rather then characters in their own right.

Like I said, if the Secret Wars is a reboot, maybe we can give some of these villains a better back story, rather then just having them be one dimensional bank robbers who appear on the scene and start robbing banks and then get upset when the hero stops them from robbing banks.