Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    To be fair, most reviews of Fifty Shades that I've seen are by men. Which is pointless. Men are not the target audience. I'd be interested to see women's reviews of the film.
    Why is it pointless? Are you saying a male movie critic can't form an opinion of the merits, or lack of, of a movie with a different gender target audience than his own? That's nonsense.

Truth is, we're at the dawn of the pink novel/literature movie period. First it was Twilight that meshed pink novel genre with vampires and now there's 50 shades which mixes the genre with SM/sub-dom themes. Both poorly written but worldwide book bestsellers nevertheless due to their fresh spin on the genre, and the same can be said about the movies it seems. They're utter crap but make a ton of cash in the box office.

Frankly, i don't know why people keep associating quality with box office results. Let's face it, in a few years, half of these blockbuster successes will be just an embarrassing memory to most of the people who watched them when they came out.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    funny that 50sog made more than kingsmen, even though every review i've read utterly shits on it.
    I've come across one positive review of 50 shades from Grace Randolph, which I watched mainly to hear the reasoning.
    Suffice to say Twilight and any accompanying fanfiction given slight tweaks to avoid lawsuits is not my cup of tea and the negative reviews I've seen make it seem as if the film paints domestic abuse in a romantic light, which I'm all for boundary pushing in fiction and it would be hypocritical for me to condemn a movie I have no intention of watching on word of mouth, another aspect where I could see having utter disdain for the work, not just as a textbook YA romance film but as something glorifying behavior I'm vehemently opposed to (again, reaction solely based on word of mouth).

I did see kingsman over the weekend, both a loveletter and deconstruction of the spy films I love, shameless product placement that gave me a laugh, direction seems to take inspiration from Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez which is in no way a bad thing, plot element that seems very inspired by a certain Joss Whedon series, which I liked as it almost felt like lost footage from that series, called out the multitude of JB initials for fictional spies which I liked, Mark Strong was very good in his role, which I'm now convinced Vaughan is very good for him as an actor, Kickass easter egg, current cultural shoutouts that make it feel like a surrealist time capsule of our era, a few cartoony moments that are hard to roll with at first, a StarWars cameo I probably wouldn't have pegged if I hadn't read the first issue of the book awhile back.

Thouroughly enjoyed it, a few surprises that legitametly surprised, I do fear that it will have more of a cult following and not make enough money to justify a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    To be fair, most reviews of Fifty Shades that I've seen are by men. Which is pointless. Men are not the target audience. I'd be interested to see women's reviews of the film.
    http://www.themarysue.com/fifty-shades-review/

http://jezebel.com/we-survived-an-op...des-1685672861

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Kingsman continues the Mark Millar winning streak with his comics to films.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Kingsman continues the Mark Millar winning streak with his comics to films.
    Seems like he only writes comics so they can be adapted into films. Nemesis, Superior, Supercrooks, Jupiter's Legacy, and Starlight are all being adapted into motion pictures. That's just insane.

EDIT: War Heroes as well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    Seems like he only writes comics so they can be adapted into films. Nemesis, Superior, Supercrooks, Jupiter's Legacy, and Starlight are all being adapted into motion pictures. That's just insane.

EDIT: War Heroes as well.
    From a financial pov, you can't entirely blame him. I really liked Superior, btw. It was like the best parts of Superman and Captain Marvel/Shazam all rolled into one!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    From a financial pov, you can't entirely blame him. I really liked Superior, btw. It was like the best parts of Superman and Captain Marvel/Shazam all rolled into one!
    Yeah and I like Nemesis a bunch. I just wish he focused more on his stories rather than just putting out film after film. I mean he might as well just make movies.