Default Whatever happened to Superman's BLUE boots?

Seeing as we still have a split vote on whether or not the disappearance of the red trunks is a good thing, I was wondering about a much-less discussed Super-wardrobe topic:

What was up with Superman's BLUE boots?

The cover of Action Comics #1 in 1938 clearly seems to show RED boots:

But on page 2 of that issue, the first time we meet Superman in full-view (head to foot), he's clearly wearing BLUE boots!

And it doesn't appear to be a one-page printing error, as it shows up consistently in the same issue:

So, apologies if this has been discussed to death already, but were Superman's original boots blue in color? How long did the blue boots last before they universally became red? Why was the cover of ACTION COMICS #1 showing red boots if the inside art of the same issue had him in blue footwear? Why the change from blue to red? '

And why, if true, isn't the fact that Superman's boots were originally blue brought up more often?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

By Action Comics #6, Shuster had added boots and they were colored red. In Action #7 they were colored yellow, but that also appears to be unintentional.

http://dccomicsartists.com/superwhos...ermanPage.html

Thanks for the link, JBatmanFan05!

So, it appears in one panel of ACTION COMICS #1, Supes not only had blue boots, but also blue GLOVES! I know that's a printing error (since it never shows up in any other panel of the issue), but I'm kinda surprised at how much I like the symmetry between the "gloves" and the boots.

So, from ACTION COMICS # 1 through ACTION COMICS #5, Superman had blue boots on in the interior art (since the Big Guy only shows up on the cover of the 1st issue, and then not again until ACTION COMICS #7), and then from ACTION COMICS #6 onward, it was red boots all the way?

And why was the cover of ACTION COMICS # 1 with red boots if the interior art was consistently blue boots for that same issue and the next four issues after it (if that is indeed the case)?

Probably a problem with colours bleeding (or whatever the proper term is) rather than anything else. Besides, they weren't really boots originally (even on the cover); they were more akin to gladiator sandals.

Retired

The original panels were done to appear in black & white as a daily comic strip. Which is why there's an excessive amount of hatching for a colour comic. In black and white, the lacing on the boots would have been more obvious.

I imagine the colourist just couldn't be bothered to colour those details--if he or she could even see them. I think the lacing is supposed to be yellow and the boots/shoes are supposed to be red. Given the pages were pasted up from the strip panels, I wonder if Joe Shuster could have even made notes on the pages to indicate colouring. It seems more likely that Vin Sullivan would have been the one to make any notes for the printer.

Joe probably didn't see these printing errors until after the comics had been published.

So ... is it fair to say that Superman's original costume had blue boots if he had them for the first 5 issues of his existence?

BANNED

This discussion reminds me of the great Jon Bogdanove's art on the Man of Steel GA-era reality in the Dominus storyline. Bogs acknowledged the blue boots by having the blue pants show through red, lace-up boots.

A great design for Superman that could have worked as a new take on the classic suit...I love that take on the GA shield, too.

Man, that Dominus arc is one of the most underrated Superman stories ever....along with Gang Wars

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Man, that Dominus arc is one of the most underrated Superman stories ever....along with Gang Wars
    Convergence before Convergence.

Kinda

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Convergence before Convergence.

Kinda

I was just thinking the same thing the other day. What a great way to celebrate the 60th anniversary.

(and it just occurred to me that was nearly 17 years ago. My God I'm getting old.)

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing the other day. What a great way to celebrate the 60th anniversary.
    It was fun, wasn't it?

Was it officially (or even unofficially) put forward as a celebration. I thought it was.

(and it just occurred to me that was nearly 17 years ago. My God I'm getting old.)[/QUOTE]

...I'm still 17...

I don't have all of the Dominus arc, just the ones where Superman fights Nazis, but those are some of my favorite Superman issues in my collection.

Those lace-up sandals are severely underrated.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Seeing as we still have a split vote on whether or not the disappearance of the red trunks is a good thing, I was wondering about a much-less discussed Super-wardrobe topic:

What was up with Superman's BLUE boots?

The cover of Action Comics #1 in 1938 clearly seems to show RED boots:

But on page 2 of that issue, the first time we meet Superman in full-view (head to foot), he's clearly wearing BLUE boots!

And it doesn't appear to be a one-page printing error, as it shows up consistently in the same issue:

So, apologies if this has been discussed to death already, but were Superman's original boots blue in color? How long did the blue boots last before they universally became red? Why was the cover of ACTION COMICS #1 showing red boots if the inside art of the same issue had him in blue footwear? Why the change from blue to red? '

And why, if true, isn't the fact that Superman's boots were originally blue brought up more often?
    Something tells me that it was either a mistake or he simply made a few adjustments to the suit.
    I got the 70 Years Celebration of Superman and i noticed that in some of these early appearences, Superman didn't even had the S on his chest.