Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Thor, #5

Artist Jorge Molina joins writer Jason Aaron for the adventures of Thor in "Thor" #5 as the latest wielder of Mjolnir encounters the Absorbing Man and Titania.

Full review here.

wish they would just reveal who thor is so they wouldn't have to rely on that mystery which is the only thing interesting so far

Incredible Member RobertoDaCosta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Grey View Post
    wish they would just reveal who thor is so they wouldn't have to rely on that mystery which is the only thing interesting so far
    come on, Jean! the strength of the run relays on the fact that it is able to craft great stories without the need to reveal her identity until issue #50!
    don't be a spoilsport!
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

Fantastic Member

I feel like I read an entirely different issue than the reviewer.

Still loving this title, but I definitely noticed the absence of Dauterman's art this time around. Glad to see it'll be back in issue #6 (this isn't to say the art in this issue wasn't good, I just prefer Dauterman's).
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

I'm loving this book. It's not as good as it was during the god bomb run, but it's still up there. That said, not happy with Aaron calling her Thor. She's not Thor because she wields the hammer. Thor was stripped of Mjolnir as he was no longer worthy, which is a pretty good change of pace for him as a character, but Aaron shouldn't have robbed him of his name as well. Hopefully things get back to normal soon in that regard because it all seems ridiculous. But I'd still like her to wield Mjolnir for a while longer, because she's a total badass !

Spectacular Member
    Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    I'm loving this book. It's not as good as it was during the god bomb run, but it's still up there. That said, not happy with Aaron calling her Thor. She's not Thor because she wields the hammer. Thor was stripped of Mjolnir as he was no longer worthy, which is a pretty good change of pace for him as a character, but Aaron shouldn't have robbed him of his name as well. Hopefully things get back to normal soon in that regard because it all seems ridiculous. But I'd still like her to wield Mjolnir for a while longer, because she's a total badass !
    Did you miss the issue where Thor gave her his name?

Just read it, finally. Yeaaah, still not buying it. Goddess of thunder is good, because that's what she is now, being worthy of wielding Mjolnir. But she shouldn't be called Thor. Doesn't make sense for Thor to give her (or anyone) his first name. Thor was Thor before he started messing with Mjolnir.
    Anyway that's what I think...

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    Just read it, finally. Yeaaah, still not buying it. Goddess of thunder is good, because that's what she is now, being worthy of wielding Mjolnir. But she shouldn't be called Thor. Doesn't make sense for Thor to give her (or anyone) his first name. Thor was Thor before he started messing with Mjolnir.
    Anyway that's what I think...
    Yeah, that's been my thing, too, and part of why Aaron's ultra hamfisted diatribe in the fight with Absorbing Man was so obnoxiously jarring in its approach in that it lumped any and all criticisms of the new Thor in with the radical fringe which was very off putting and unfair.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by santino27 View Post
    I feel like I read an entirely different issue than the reviewer.
    That happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchesMalone View Post
    Did you miss the issue where Thor gave her his name?
    Yeah, and it was lame as far as taking Thor Odinson's name from him.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charles J. Baserap View Post
    Yeah, that's been my thing, too, and part of why Aaron's ultra hamfisted diatribe in the fight with Absorbing Man was so obnoxiously jarring in its approach in that it lumped any and all criticisms of the new Thor in with the radical fringe which was very off putting and unfair.
    I've been seeing people repost that particular scene around a lot.

They really don't know what to do with this character, do they?
    "If I wanted smooth,I'd be with Hal Jordan."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    I've been seeing people repost that particular scene around a lot.
    That scene was terrible. It was just terrible writing, really embarrassing.

They should have just made Thor female. Like literally turned him into a girl. That could have been an interesting story with some commentary about how Asgardians view women, etc.
    That or have Freya or some other actual character pick up the hammer. Even a new character, but a real character not a "mystery".

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    That scene was terrible. It was just terrible writing, really embarrassing.
    it's enough to make me jump the shark, honestly. From the fight itself to it's horrific conclusion, the entire encounter was awful to the point that I wonder if the 4 stars was forced rather than earned.

They should have just made Thor female. Like literally turned him into a girl. That could have been an interesting story with some commentary about how Asgardians view women, etc.
    That or have Freya or some other actual character pick up the hammer. Even a new character, but a real character not a "mystery".
    My problem is that the way the Hammer was "removed" from Thor (whisper of unknown content) ended up making the Odinson even more interesting of a character than they could ever hope to make the new Thor. I feel the writers have inadvertently set themselves up to fail as more people will root for the fallen hero than the unknown replacement.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    My problem is that the way the Hammer was "removed" from Thor (whisper of unknown content) ended up making the Odinson even more interesting of a character than they could ever hope to make the new Thor. I feel the writers have inadvertently set themselves up to fail as more people will root for the fallen hero than the unknown replacement.
    I think that's actually fine, they don't have to compete.

Maybe she could be helping him regain his powers, meanwhile adventuring solo because someone still needs to save the world. That would make her sympathetic since we would see she is a person who will give up power because it's the right thing to do. It would also give her more straight-forward access to Asgard if they are working together. Split the book between Thor's search for answers and girl Thor learning from him how to "be thor" and handling the things Thor normally handles. Thor comes to trust her and she comes to love Asgard and become a part of it. She becomes the "fresh set of eyes" on the Thor universe.

Then Thor goes on vacation or "soul searching", in a mini or his own ongoing and girl Thor fully takes over the ongoing.

The problem is the writing is making them compete, because their stories are separate. It also makes it awkward for her interacting with Asgardians because she "claimed" Thor's identity without even attempting to give it back.
    Thor gave her his blessing but it's hollow since she never cared what he thought.