Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

And to think that under Bendis penmanship, Clint x Jessica couldn't take their hands off of each other. Under KSD handling, Clint x Jessica relationship vibe was starting to wear off. And finally, Jessica broke off her relationship with Clint over a girl he never made love to. I suppose that Jessica didn't trust Clint as much as she thought she had.

I wonder how Clint might have fared if he was in a serious relationship with The Black Cat (provided if she wasn't in the pages of Superior Spider-Man to begin with) had she been used as a supporting cast member of Clint's world?

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    And to think that under Bendis penmanship, Clint x Jessica couldn't take their hands off of each other. Under KSD handling, Clint x Jessica relationship vibe was starting to wear off. And finally, Jessica broke off her relationship with Clint over a girl he never made love to. I suppose that Jessica didn't trust Clint as much as she thought she had.

I wonder how Clint might have fared if he was in a serious relationship with The Black Cat (provided if she wasn't in the pages of Superior Spider-Man to begin with) had she been used as a supporting cast member of Clint's world?
    Clint very definitely had sex with Cherry. There is no doubt about it from the book.

See my profile picture for the aftermath...
    Last edited by hawkeyefan; 02-18-2015 at 08:36 AM.

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

edit to delete
    Last edited by rhymeswithparc; 12-21-2023 at 02:57 PM.

If anything, this whole story arc of Clint cheating and Jessica's response was used to break down the double standard where it's okay for men to sleep around. I don't think that's necessarily the point of the story, but it fits a lot more than some of the themes people want to attribute to it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Sure, it's a different matter. But i brought it up as a counter to the idea that somehow women get to do whatever they want without criticism.
    Nobody made that argument though.

The argument was that women can be violent to men without much backlash.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    If anything, this whole story arc of Clint cheating and Jessica's response was used to break down the double standard where it's okay for men to sleep around. I don't think that's necessarily the point of the story, but it fits a lot more than some of the themes people want to attribute to it.
    Yeah, the wandering d syndrome of so called heroes has been out of control for awhile.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

She apologized in the last issue.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithparc View Post
    Didn't the same controversy happen when Spider-Man slept with Black Cat in an issue? Obviously, the comparison of actions are different but the complaints were all about out of character writing and not slut-shaming.
    A lot of people were upset about the change in direction and that's totally legit, but many folks were definite trying to slut shame. And again trying to slut shame someone who hadn't slept with anyone.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Nobody made that argument though.

The argument was that women can be violent to men without much backlash.
    The person I was responding to was heavily implying that argument

Astonishing Member

A lot of people were upset about the change in direction and that's totally legit, but many folks were definite trying to slut shame. And again trying to slut shame someone who hadn't slept with anyone.
    How ironic that Spider-Woman and Hawkeye's relationship under Bendis was nothing more than sex buddies,in comparison towards Spider-Man x Black Cat under Joe Kelly. Too bad that we'll never get to see Black Cat and Hawkeye working together as I certainly would love to see how their relationship would progressed.

BANNED

I would say that they both did something wrong. Clint behaved without worrying about her feelings, and she let her frustration with him come out in the form of a slap. I don't think anyone here has said she was right to resort to a slap.

I don't know. Again, I don't think that anyone here defended her actions. I just think that it's a leap to feel that this is a case of "domestic abuse". It just doesn't seem right to compare them.

And I get the whole reverse the roles angle...if he slapped her it would be a bigger deal. And there is probably some truth to that. My guess is that it is likely because in actual cases of domestic abuse , probably 95% of the time the aggressor is male. So seeing something like that in a comic or any other fiction is likely to bring up such comparisons. And in most actual cases, the man is physically stronger than the woman whom he is abusing.

And perhaps there is some double standard at play...but is it a double standard that demands to be corrected?
    This part should be changed to: 95% of the time men when domestic violence is reported it is males distributing the violence. , men usually don't report domestic violence for several reasons but it does happen. There are even several cases that what led to the male being charged for domestic violence is in retaliation to female abuse.

People really just need to learn to keep their hands to themselves on both sides of the gender coin.
    Last edited by Trident; 02-18-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Fantastic Member

I don't think that's the double standard. Cheating is gross regardless of gender, as far as I know. It's casual sex where women are judged and men are congratulated.

Mind I don't think domestic violence fits this either. As another poster mentioned DV really implies a sustained attempt at using a high-trust relationship to break someone down. Slapping someone in the heat of the moment is wrong, but to me it is pretty much the same as any superhero argument where they punch instead of talking.

Superheroes in general are absolutely vicious to each other, even if they are best friends/lovers/family members. There's hundreds of examples of people in comics who beat each other senseless during a verbal disagreement. In this context, trying to equate a slap to domestic violence seems weird to me. I mean I can see where they were going with this and I agree there's a double standard re: female-on-male violence, but I don't think this was very effective.

Anyone remember Psylocke and Fantomex that one arc they slept together in Paris? Personally I thought that was a better example of (verbal or emotional) female-on-male domestic abuse.
    Last edited by Wren; 02-18-2015 at 06:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    This part should be changed to: 95% of the time men when domestic violence is reported it is males distributing the violence. , men usually don't report domestic violence for several reasons but it does happen. There are even several cases that what led to the male being charged for domestic violence is in retaliation to female abuse.

People really just need to learn to keep their hands to themselves on both sides of the gender coin.
    Especially in a time where STD's are running ramp it.

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

Were there a relatively significant amount of people actually doing this to make this point? Also, harsh language may be used but the nature of the criticism is often evident beyond that. In any case, it's clear that the criticisms that Batgirl received were not gender specific as it happened to Spider-Man and Batman (in the early issues of Catwoman), and I'm sure others, nor were they social criticisms; they were character consistency ones.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithparc View Post
    Were there a relatively significant amount of people actually doing this to make this point? Also, harsh language may be used but the nature of the criticism is often evident beyond that. In any case, it's clear that the criticisms that Batgirl received were not gender specific as it happened to Spider-Man and Batman (in the early issues of Catwoman), and I'm sure others, nor were they social criticisms; they were character consistency ones.
    I'm not sure agree with that. You can make a case for the example of Spidey, but the others, I'm not so sure least not with nu52 Catwoman. But we're getting off the point, people are totally free to dislike Batgirl for whatever reason they choose.

My reason for bringing it up in the first place was to show that it's not a world where only men get criticized for their actions and women get a free pass and no criticism.