Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Mission: THE COLOR BARRIER - The Uncompelling Proposition of a Bi-Racial Spider-Man in the MCU

Joseph Illidge examines the argument against a Black/Latino Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe by looking at past consumer actions.

Full article here.

BANNED

Alright article, though it missed the most obvious point that Miles Morales origin depends hugely on Peter Parker dying. Which they might do one day, but not any day soon. It'll be long after Cap goes, probably.

Not to mention, it would be another Spider-Man origin movie with Morales, no matter how different his origin is. Which is too soon, IMHO. Love the character, though.

Miles Morales is such a bland character, I hope he never gets a MCU version.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    Alright article, though it missed the most obvious point that Miles Morales origin depends hugely on Peter Parker dying. Which they might do one day, but not any day soon. It'll be long after Cap goes, probably.

Not to mention, it would be another Spider-Man origin movie with Morales, no matter how different his origin is. Which is too soon, IMHO. Love the character, though.
    Actually you don't need Peter Parker. Miles got his powers from another spider not the same one that bit Peter.

So you can have another Spider-Man roaming around especially if you do it in another city.

I'm OK with him being in the MCU....but the fanboy in me wants to see Parker, at least first, to see how he interacts with the established MCU characters. Down the line they can add in Morales and retain Peter as a type of retired Bruce Wayne type (minus the bank roll, most likely) like Batman Beyond (whatever that cartoon was called)

Amazing Member

I feel like the internet's reaction hasn't really been a well thought out one. People arent considering several things. For starters, the risk. Casting a non-white Peter or using Miles is a risk. And Sony isn't in a position to take many risks. This is their third Spider-Man. This one has to be done perfectly.

Another thing not beig considered is how they can have their cake and eat it too. Do a main Spider-Man moving starring Peter. Do another set in The Amazing Spider-Man world, but focusing on Miles after Andrew Garfield's Peter has died. Also introduce Spider-Man 2099, Silk, Black Cat, Agent Venom, and Ultimate Spider-Woman. Maybe even follow the animated series and make Amadeus Cho Iron Spider. There's the potential to have a diverse group of Spider characters. All without Sony taking a risk that will more than likely not pay-off. All they need to do is expand Spider-Man's universe, which is the one thkng Sony never did in the fifteen years they've been doing Spider-Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Actually you don't need Peter Parker. Miles got his powers from another spider not the same one that bit Peter.

So you can have another Spider-Man roaming around especially if you do it in another city.
    That's like saying Peter's origin works without Uncle Ben. Without Peter dying, he's just a kid too afraid to use his powers. It's nothing to do with how the spider got in his uncle's apartment, because obviously that works fine on its own. (Not sure how it came across that I thought he had Silk's origin, but whatever.) But Miles didn't want to be a hero, and Peter dying pushed him to become one out of a sense of responsibility for standing by when he had the power to act. The story just doesn't work the same without reference to Peter.

It'll be interesting to see how they tweak that backstory in the new Marvel U, to accommodate both characters coexisting. I could see a movie Morales taking those tweaks to the big screen.
    Last edited by hunter_peterson; 02-16-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The world is big enough for two Spider-Men. Have Peter first, then introduce Miles. Honestly I would have had an older Peter to act as a sort of mentor to the younger Miles - and no that wouldn't make him a sidekick - but since Sony and Marvel seem adamant that Peter be younger they can be classmates or something.

And as others say, introduce more supporting cast too. MJ and Black Cat, maybe Agent Venom. Spider-Man 2099 would make for an interesting solo film.

Amazing Member

Economically its a risk not worth taking. The vast majority of the people who go to watch Marvel films do not buy comics. The vast majority have no idea who Miles Morales is. They know Peter Parker. Explaining to the general public that Spider-man isn't Peter Parker isn't likely to get more people watching the film.
    And as the author says no-one will not go to see this film if peter Parker is Spidey

All-New Member

I would not like to see Miles as spiderman in this moment because if it happen, he will have the role of peter that he had in the in the main universe.
    Now they have to think in the international audience. How many people on the world want to see Miles? How many people knows about him? How many people want to see Peter?

BANNED

It's really a matter of when, not if, Miles will get the small or big screen Spider-man treatment.

But it's better to work up naturally to it, so it's not a crappy rush job just to get him onscreen.

I don't even have to get into the CW Network's "Arrow" and "The Flash." You know the score.
    Apparently I don't know the score. Could someone elaborate?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Apparently I don't know the score. Could someone elaborate?
    I Don't watch Arrow so I don't know about that, but Barry's love interest Iris was cast as black in the Flash TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Do you not see how wrong that is? It was stupid in the comics, would be even more so in the movies, it was downright lazy to even do that

I don't want Miles Morales, he's so bland and boring. Peter is a better character with a better story, and (if they want it) I think that changing his race wouldn't be so problematic to adapt. And not only to black, he can be also hispanic, indian, muslim, chinese... i think indian or muslim would be my favourite...
    Last edited by Iktomi2099; 02-16-2015 at 06:18 PM.