View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Flash?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barry Allen

61 28.50%
  • Wally West

130 60.75%
  • Bart Allen

5 2.34%
  • Jay Garrick

18 8.41%
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Clark Kent

Default Who is your favourite Flash and Why?

Out of the 4 main flashes, Barry Allen, Jay Garrick, Wally West, and Bart Allen. Who is your favourite and why?

Always Rakzo

Wally West.

Said it before and will say it again: There's something about the story of a guy who due to the death of his mentor was forced to take his role, eventually reaching the same accomplishments and ultimately surpassing him that really speaks to me.

Jay Garrick is my favorite, with Wally a close second. Jay is a fun almost prankster type character when he's a young man, and he grows into this cool old guy in the more recent JSA/Justice Society series. I love that his girlfriend Joan is in on his secret from day one and that the two of them are a fun couple to read in the 1940s. Once they get married, they have a long and happy marriage, which is a rarity in comics.

And his Flash costume is my favorite. I love the helmet and the outfit that looks like something he put together out of regular clothes.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Barry, the Silver Age Flash. Fun and respected hero, died for universe and then returned to save it some more.

Wally. I was born the year Barry died, so I never got to know him until his resurrection. Wally was "my" Flash for my entire youth. I always appreciated the shadow of Barry's career looming over him and the seemingly impossible task of filling his boots and the challenge it presented. But Wally not only met but exceeded the limits. Writers like Waid, Morrison/Millar and Johns opened up unexplored territory and expanded on the mythos with things like the Speed Force and new abilities like vibrating through solid objects and lending speed. The Rouges gallery was also wonderfully updated without taking away from what has always been so fun about them, and new characters like Zolomon and Black Flash were great additions. They built up a family of speedsters that was sadly abandoned with the return of Barry and the reboot that soon followed.

Jay would be my second pick, as the JSA series fleshed him out in a wonderful way for modern audiences. I even love Bart, though more for the Impulse/Kid Flash adventures. Strangely enough, Barry may be my least favorite of the four. Everything he seems to have done since coming back has been disastrous and caused more harm than good. His moment with Iris in Final Crisis may be the one convincing, selfless tear-jerker to occur thus far. The best thing the guy ever did, sadly, was die, as it was one of the best self-sacrifices in all of comics history. I prefer him as a monumental memory than the current Flash.
    Last edited by MykeHavoc; 02-16-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Wally West.

He is from my time. Though new to the character, I already know.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Amazing Member

Wally. I never really was interested in Wally and one day walking through the store I saw the cover to Flash #75. Oh, Barry's back? Have to check it out. Wally became a favorite after that.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Bart at the back (like Bart, but I heard some really terrible stuff about his Flash period), Barry (I dig him and all, and the TV show and the way Mark Waid writes him suggest viable takes if stuck with, but come on. Even when he's expanded on, it's either dumb as hell like in Rebirth, or he's still just The Nice Dude as he is in the New 52), then way ahead, what with being, you know, the good ones with really great stories to their names, Jay and Wally. Jay's fun but hasn't been in enough and doesn't have nearly the same emotional resonance as Wally, so West for the win with me.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 02-16-2015 at 07:59 PM.
    Buh-bye

Love the concept and character of every-man, somewhat nerdish OCD Barry Allen.
    The great irony and fun of a guy who -because of his good nature wants to help everyone, therefore he will always be late.
    So, you give him the boundless power of super-speed. ....ie all the time in the world!
    But to Barry Allen, it only increases exponentially how much good he can actually do.
    The irony ; the fastest man alive is therefore condemned to still ...never have enough time.

Throw in all his great Rogues, Events, and obstacles he's lived through, and that's the fun beauty and tragedy of Barry Allen.

The Ballad of Barry Allen- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMe1qlyuMXQ
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-21-2016 at 09:10 AM.

Wally West.
    I don't think a more complete life has ever been shown in comics. He starts out a kid sidekick, then a boyfriend and teammate/student, then a bit of a frat boy hopelessly stuck in the shadow of his mentor, next a first class hero and respected member of the greatest team of all time, finally a husband, father, and mentor himself. It really was a life in motion.

Barry Allen

When I first got into Flash comics through the William Messner-Loebs run, I loved Wally West and I still do to this day. However, after realizing my tastes were skewed toward Silver Age stories and characters, I began to look into the Cary Bates Barry Allen run. I saw how intricate the stories and characterization from that era were and it quickly became my favorite Flash run, thanks to Buried Alien recommending it to me. Barry's job as a forensic scientist was really original before the days of CSI and made him stand out as a character. I could relate to a guy who's a bit reserved, but loves comics and is inspired to be a better person because of them. It's sad that the Nu52 version of the character just doesn't feel the same to me.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 02-16-2015 at 10:46 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Wally West.

Said it before and will say it again: There's something about the story of a guy who due to the death of his mentor was forced to take his role, eventually reaching the same accomplishments and ultimately surpassing him that really speaks to me.
    You said it all.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    Jay Garrick is my favorite, with Wally a close second. Jay is a fun almost prankster type character when he's a young man, and he grows into this cool old guy in the more recent JSA/Justice Society series. I love that his girlfriend Joan is in on his secret from day one and that the two of them are a fun couple to read in the 1940s. Once they get married, they have a long and happy marriage, which is a rarity in comics.

And his Flash costume is my favorite. I love the helmet and the outfit that looks like something he put together out of regular clothes.
    my thoughts exactly

Wally West. I really enjoyed him on the Justice League cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Wally West.

This is a reason why I love him as well, but also Wally 's attitude to being the Flash.When he used to start the comic off saying Hi I'm Wally west and I'm the fastest man alive. I would bring a HUGE smile to my face. He had fun being the Flash and he brought the Legacy to another level in doing so. He was my Flash growing up and he always be that way. Again how many people can surpass their mentors or the characters that came before. Dick Grayson can't say it, but Wally can. And that's not a knock on Grayson. That's showing what kind of job Wally has done.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark