Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Also, has anyone heard ANYTHING about Material #1 so far? It sounds like they're just dropping this on us out of nowhere? Cool though, the synopsis sounds kinda like "Change" which I loved. Ales Kot is always worth a look, which issue of Zero was Will Tempest on again?
    Well, there's this teaser image from Ales Kot's newsletter:
    unnamed.jpg

Will Tempest did the art for Zero #5.

INJECTION #1
    MYTHIC #1
    MATERIAL #1
    SONS OF THE DEVIL #1 (True Detective and Orphan Black blend? Sold!)
    RAT QUEENS #11
    ROCKET GIRL #6
    CHRONONAUTS #3
    DEADLY CLASS #13
    DESCENDER #3
    INVISIBLE REPUBLIC #3
    SAGA #28
    SOUTHERN CROSS #3
    VELVET #13
    THE WICKED + THE DIVINE #11

Quote Originally Posted by Trilipush View Post
    Well, there's this teaser image from Ales Kot's newsletter:

Will Tempest did the art for Zero #5.
    Neat, thanks! I dropped Zero for financial reasons after #9, but I remember #5 ending on a huge cliffhanger. Will dig out the issue to see if I like the art and decide from there whether to try Material #1. Thanks!
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

BANNED

As much as I like Image Comics, this company WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY over-publishes. It's going to burn them. That's a shitload of #1 issues in May...preceded by a shitload of #1 issues since at least December 2014. Just too much...they're obviously going for a get-rich-now strategy...

Caveat: Still, the quality is mostly there...but sometimes less is definitely more...see Valiant...

Quote Originally Posted by johnmahananda View Post
    As much as I like Image Comics, this company WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY over-publishes. It's going to burn them. That's a shitload of #1 issues in May...preceded by a shitload of #1 issues since at least December 2014. Just too much...they're obviously going for a get-rich-now strategy...

Caveat: Still, the quality is mostly there...but sometimes less is definitely more...see Valiant...
    I think if that were the case, they'd double ship, make all their books 3.99 and not allow their creators to take monthly breaks in between story arcs.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I think if that were the case, they'd double ship, make all their books 3.99 and not allow their creators to take monthly breaks in between story arcs.
    Possibly, but they way they're doing it now, in a content-flood, works just as well in securing a lot of revenue.

Well, Marvel is launching Secret Wars in May so it makes sense if creators to launch their titles in May in hopes to pick up some new customers taking a break during yet another event. Plus the vast majority are independent titles not tying into some shared universe so it gives customers more to choose from. It's just survival of the fittest. Not all titles published by Image are going to be long running successes. For example, none of the #1's interest me from the month of May, so that's one customer lost. Let's see what launches in June. So on and so on.
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

but Image really isn't forcing anything here... these are (mostly) creator-owned comics. in most cases, the creators go to Image to publish their work. Image actually (allegedly) rejects a lot of pitches, from what I've read.

exactly (I sense the sarcasm). They can't make the creators do something they don't want to.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Spectacular Member

yeah, i can tell you from quite a bit of personal experience, image makes no demands on taking breaks... that's just creators.

now why that happens

well, a lot of creator owned stuff starts off with decent numbers, but they fall off, after issue 1

after the speculators took their bite, and the trade waiters took their taste, all of a sudden without some crazy marketing you find yourself staring at a book that is sinking you and sinking you fast

and it is your love project. so you try to stay afloat, you take on sidegigs , do anything and everything to keep it going... but the fact is, you realize you are hemorrhaging money XD

that is when you take on more siddegigs, books get late, start selling even less...

some take breaks between arcs to take a rest, others take the breaks to bounce back financially

creator owned is a wonderful prospect but rare books actually make it.

and yet... i friggin love it! XD

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Neat, thanks! I dropped Zero for financial reasons after #9, but I remember #5 ending on a huge cliffhanger. Will dig out the issue to see if I like the art and decide from there whether to try Material #1. Thanks!
    Always a pleasure! Zero is actually my favorite ongoing right now so I'm always up for another Ales Kot series. And I'm really digging Will Tempest's art.

All-New Member

I will most likely pick up Five Ghosts Deluxe HC. I'm a sucker for those.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Remender mentioned to a person on twitter that LOW would be back in June.
    June! Dang, that's a shame, I was really getting into it, the last couple issues were brilliant.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Rand's Other Fist View Post
    June! Dang, that's a shame, I was really getting into it, the last couple issues were brilliant.
    I think we're do for issue 6 next week. That will be the concluding chapter of the first arc. I think what Remender was saying was that the second arc of Low will start in June.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tayne Japal View Post
    Well, Marvel is launching Secret Wars in May so it makes sense if creators to launch their titles in May in hopes to pick up some new customers taking a break during yet another event. Plus the vast majority are independent titles not tying into some shared universe so it gives customers more to choose from. It's just survival of the fittest. Not all titles published by Image are going to be long running successes. For example, none of the #1's interest me from the month of May, so that's one customer lost. Let's see what launches in June. So on and so on.
    Those are good points.

I don't think Image flooding the market with new titles is a problem since they have so much genre and style diversity. It's not like you're getting so much of the same thing.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman