Default Nova #1-5 theory

So I just read the first 5 issue arc of Nova by Jeph Loeb. I have to ask, has anyone else yet pointed out that the story is clearly a hallucination of the Sam's? His dad abandoned him and he then suffered brain damage from slipping on his skateboard, and adapted bedtime stories his dad used to tell him into his reality. Not one character in these ever references the greater Marvel universe, as it takes place in a world without superheroes. I'm not sure if he is dreaming and in a coma still from the accident, or if he woke up and is lapsing into fantasy when left alone. But the story is clearly a delusion. And I love it, it is subtle yet impossible to miss. The mom mentions the father's past as a Nova, but vaguely, because he was in fact a Vietnam or Iraq war veteran, and she is actually referencing his service. And then when she cries and tells Sam everything was real, it is because she realizes her son is crazy just like his father, and she has to go along with the delusion so he doesn't snap. Honestly, if this isn't true, there was no point in even having him fall and hurt his head and go into a 3 day coma. It was completely random and unessential to the plot, if my theory is wrong.

I see that Loeb doesn't write the series past this point, but I am convinced this is what he intended, even though he knew the future writers would do things to contradict this. I think this was a great work of comic book art.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HankSantana View Post
    So I just read the first 5 issue arc of Nova by Jeph Loeb... I see that Loeb doesn't write the series past this point, but I am convinced this is what he intended, even though he knew the future writers would do things to contradict this. I think this was a great work of comic book art.
    Very interesting theory indeed, am not with you on this theory, but it's a cool thought!!! As you say later writers of Nova "... future writers would do things to contradict this." It's not something I've ever thought about either... as this being a dream. I must say it's a cool idea you have here!!! Very Cool!!!
    Last edited by Vak; 02-23-2015 at 11:52 PM.

And it still more or less works within in his own title, really. It would explain Beta Ray Bill's race being alive and active, for one thing.

The Sam we see in other places could have his own story.

So I just read the first 5 issue arc of Nova by Jeph Loeb. I have to ask, has anyone else yet pointed out that the story is clearly a hallucination of the Sam's? His dad abandoned him and he then suffered brain damage from slipping on his skateboard, and adapted bedtime stories his dad used to tell him into his reality. Not one character in these ever references the greater Marvel universe, as it takes place in a world without superheroes. I'm not sure if he is dreaming and in a coma still from the accident, or if he woke up and is lapsing into fantasy when left alone. But the story is clearly a delusion. And I love it, it is subtle yet impossible to miss. The mom mentions the father's past as a Nova, but vaguely, because he was in fact a Vietnam or Iraq war veteran, and she is actually referencing his service. And then when she cries and tells Sam everything was real, it is because she realizes her son is crazy just like his father, and she has to go along with the delusion so he doesn't snap. Honestly, if this isn't true, there was no point in even having him fall and hurt his head and go into a 3 day coma. It was completely random and unessential to the plot, if my theory is wrong.

I see that Loeb doesn't write the series past this point, but I am convinced this is what he intended, even though he knew the future writers would do things to contradict this. I think this was a great work of comic book art.
    The series was still working off Loeb's Scripts for a while.. I thought I read somewhere he already had over 2 years of the book scripted.

At the time it would have been a decent theory, but given now.. I tend to just say it was not good writing and a mix of errors/ goofs/ lack of caring if it jived with older material/ etc..

did you know 'Jesse Alexander' was someone Loeb Co produced heroes with? Even the Alexander name seems to have never shaped out as having meaning.

One of the biggest reasons I dropped the book at issue 19 was the contradictions and lack of sense of the topics/plots the book created. Cohesion has always been a problem with this current incarnation.

Again very interesting theory, am not with you on this, but it's a cool idea!!!

I think this was a great work of comic book art.
    But I agree with you on this and I think the NEW NOVA is awesome. But the one and only LIVING NOVA Sam Alexander is about to be joined by others.
    “The stones are calling to one another, and the most powerful artifact in the universe will be re-assembled in INFINITY GAUNTLET #1! “
    Last edited by Vak; 02-23-2015 at 11:21 PM.