View Poll Results: Who is Peter's best love interest?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mary Jane Watson

55 72.37%
  • Gwen Stacy

8 10.53%
  • Felicia Hardy

7 9.21%
  • Kitty Pryde

0 0%
  • Betty Brant

0 0%
  • Liz Allen

0 0%
  • Carlie Cooper

3 3.95%
  • Other

3 3.95%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I'm a DC-minded person when it comes to aging and advancing...in that you mostly don't age or advance things. Bruce never retires and stays Batman (no legacies). Hal doesn't stay old and bad.

Peter shouldn't much age (where he's at for now is fine) and he doesn't get married ever (except in out of canon future stories). Peter & MJ date and have troubles here and there...FOREVER. JJJ rides Spider-Man's case, more or less, FOREVER. Peter keeps coming back to the Bugle to work as a photographer...FOREVER. Aunt May lives...FOREVER (she stops aging entirely). You keep a core status quo (that you only very temporarily mess with).
    Um DC has changed things and aged people (to varying degrees of success of course).

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Mary Janes by a landslide. She's the best developed, and she's who I grew up with. Marriage or no, she's the undisputed queen of his heart.

Felicia is fun, but she's more of a sexy bad girl fantasy than a real partner. And I only ever liked Gwen in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon. In 616, all she ever did was cry about how crappy of a boyfriend Peter was (can't really blame her, though...)

MJ. The only time Gwen has come close is when writers have occasionally re-personality-ized her to be more like MJ, like in the ASM films. Everyone else are just meaningless also-rans.

MJ and Peter - hey those kids should get married some day!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderOrange View Post
    Cohort Effects. I don't think this survey will be accurate because you're most likely to vote for the one you grew up with or had more exposure to. I grew up with MJ and Peter together and will vote for MJ. However that's biased... does that necessarily mean that Gwen isn't better for Peter? Or if you got into ASM after OMD, then you don't really care about the marriage because you've really only been there for Carly. Does that mean she's better for Peter than MJ? Who can say? .
    Even then, the amount of time MJ has been a love interest in the books dwarfs everyone else, even if you take out the marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    MJ. The only time Gwen has come close is when writers have occasionally re-personality-ized her to be more like MJ, like in the ASM films. Everyone else are just meaningless also-rans.

MJ and Peter - hey those kids should get married some day!
    Married? Ppfftt... I doubt they could make it beyond 20 years.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Um DC has changed things and aged people (to varying degrees of success of course).
    Yes and no. Of course, I meant moreso-DC-minded (I'm more me-myself-and-I-minded than anything!). DC has just deaged people and unadvanced some characters from legacy roles, so it's going both ways.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-18-2015 at 02:48 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

I don't think it's fair to say whose Peter's best love interest when all of the previous ones never had the chance to develop. Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane had the longest time to develop their respective relationship with Peter. Felicia Hardy and Betty Brant, or single parents Liz Allan and Julia Carpenter never had that opportunity.

Of course MJ will get the biggest votes as opposed to the others because she's been in Peter's life for more than 20 years as a married couple. It would have been a fair assessment if the relationship between Peter and the others were flushed out in a manner where others writers would continue to use them. But we seen that opportunity happen. Even Carol and Jessica, Silver Sable and The Black Widow if the writers had considered using them in the same manner as the Black Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why do you guys feel this way? If they were such a good couple why not get married?
    Because dramatically, I feel like marriage is the end point of the story. Also, I don't believe that marriage should be a requirement for couples.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Because dramatically, I feel like marriage is the end point of the story. Also, I don't believe that marriage should be a requirement for couples.
    Thats if your definition of relationship drama is reduced down to will they, wont they. I thought the drama was never better than when they were.married.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Thats if your definition of relationship drama is reduced down to will they, wont they. I thought the drama was never better than when they were.married.
    Notable point. Listen, I'd think Peter should be married now IF he got married more early on in his comic history like Reed & Sue. I definitely think there are anti-marriage arguments that can be questioned and argued (including my deciding factors). No one easy answer.

I'm not that far from being an ardent pro-MJ-marriage fan, I never questioned the rightness or wrongness of it until OMD forced me to think about it all long and hard.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-18-2015 at 04:04 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
    I know, you dream about Tigra, She-Hulk, Black Widow and Felicia Hardy. Let's agree to disagree, I prefer when Peter has a more grounded love life than what you describe here. :-)

And Psylocke? Really? How do you see her fit into Peter's life...?
    Those characters could fit into Peter's grounded life respectively if those relationships were written by a writer would could pull it off. It needn't be a constant superhero adventures together; rather in a normal civilian setting in a cameo appearance. The same could apply to Jennifer Walters human persona who could work very well with Peter Parker in a normal everyday type setting as we once saw with Mary Jane or Betty Brant. It all depends on how well the writer can established it in a manner that would interest the readers into supporting the story by buying into the series events.

MJ gets my vote, too.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

MJ's developement from just a party girl into the wife and companion of Peter Parker was so great,so vivid,it was like watching a real world couple and their journey of their lives.I dare to say,it's probably the best comic book couple in the industry.They didn't start from day one,but they ended up together and they became so classic as Lois and Clark.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    MJ's developement from just a party girl into the wife and companion of Peter Parker was so great,so vivid,it was like watching a real world couple and their journey of their lives.I dare to say,it's probably the best comic book couple in the industry.They didn't start from day one,but they ended up together and they became so classic as Lois and Clark.
    Too bad we never saw that with the others existing characters Post BND.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Married? Ppfftt... I doubt they could make it beyond 20 years.
    Dude, you just totally channeled Steve Wacker. I sort of miss that guy around here.