Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    And this has always been a part of the problem and why I think DC backed away from the issue of her killing Max Lord.

Because for Wonder Woman's actions to be right, you have to say that their two biggest heroes, Superman and Batman, are wrong. Considering the crap storm that erupted among comic book fans over the finale of Man of Steel I am not convinced they think they can sell that idea, or are even willing to try.

Wonder Woman they clearly they think they can sell it, if only to provide contrast to Bats and Supes. But Batman's no-kill policy is VERY well established and his books sell so well that they are the benchmark by which all other sales are measured. So to say you can't sell WW books if she doesn't kill clearly would not be true.
    From what I've read about each member of the Trinity was supposed to commit some type of 'sin' that they would have to live with. Diana killing Lord was supposed to be a sign that she was losing touch with her humanity. However, in the case of the other two the writers either had their sins not be so bad or had them commit no sin at all. Yes Bruce built Brother Eye but that was mitigated by the revelations of Identity Crisis. And Clark's killing of the Phantom Zone criminals was stricken from continuity so he could have a leg to stand on.

In fact, it seems that writers are far more willing to depict Diana, if not the Amazons, in a more brutal and ruthless light. The Flashpoint movie removed the plot of the conspiracy to start a war between Themyscira and Atlantis so it looked like the world wen to hell because Diana couldn't keep it in her pants. Injustice at least tries to make the readers sympathize with Superman but gives no adequate reason for why Diana is a sociopath - we're just meant to assume she's always been that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    The big problem, as I see it, in the kill/no kill debate, is that one path is more or less depicted as the right one and the other is the morally wrong one.
    It's never made so we as readers clearly see why in the rare cases it does happen a hero killing a villain is justified, since it's often down to them threatening the future.

Like the first time the League subdued the original Prometheus, Huntress was kicked off the team for wanting to kill him, then MM put him in years of coma... then he woke up and killed thousands of people. Back then it was clear that Huntress was the loose canon, but I am sure Roy Harper amongst others would have agreed it should have been done if he knew what was coming.

Same situation with Mongul in Infinite Crisis, Diana was stopped from splitting his head in two. After that he went on to use the Sinestro Corp to invade Daxam and Korugar killing who knows how many... because Superman stopped Diana.
    I agree with this. You could also argue that the writers bringing it up is itself a problem and I actually made a thread discussing that: http://community.comicbookresources....e-No-Kill-Rule . The truth is we know why the Joker, Darkseid, Luthor etc won't be killed off. It's because they are popular characters that DC knows are cash cows and that people will continue to want to read about them. Constantly asking Bruce why he hasn't ended the clown just makes it seem like he's the only one too stupid to realize the Joker has long since forfeited his right to live.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I agree with this. You could also argue that the writers bringing it up is itself a problem and I actually made a thread discussing that: http://community.comicbookresources....e-No-Kill-Rule . The truth is we know why the Joker, Darkseid, Luthor etc won't be killed off. It's because they are popular characters that DC knows are cash cows and that people will continue to want to read about them. Constantly asking Bruce why he hasn't ended the clown just makes it seem like he's the only one too stupid to realize the Joker has long since forfeited his right to live.
    See thats not really a problem, because we are in the world of comics, where litterally anything is possible. A dead Darkseid can come back to life, a dead Luthor can return simply by a miraculous survival.

And the Joker...

Ok, imagine if the Joker, one day, finally did die; either by falling off a roof while tangling with Batman or getting gunned down by the GCPD or a mobster (or Harley) thats had enough. Even if his body has to be scraped off the walls or sidewalk, he can still come back in a fashion; like he nearly did in Batman Beyond. Either that, or we can really choose to go with Snyder's vision and make him into somekind of supernatural ghost that just moves from body to body. And to this, we have BTAS where the Joker seemingly died by the end of an episode maybe 4-5 times and in Mask of the Phantasm only to reappear later on.

It would ofc devalue the currency if characters like the Joker 'dies' too often, but like Batman died, couldn't a genuine death and return of the Joker be great?

Great point all around guys.

I get that DC wants to keep sending the good message, but i think it's time they relaxed a bit on it. Sure Batman wont ever kill and Superman is their Jesus, but sometimes some foo' needs to get a cap in his butt. Let's not villify a hero like they often do to Diana. She was totally justified in killing Max Lord.

Or how about that fight with Medusa. I still remember how shocked the general (in-universe) audience was at her death. Really? You were shocked that a monster was put down? Well how about all those chases you see on TV where they show the guy get gunned down? Or all the Hollywood movies?

So please, let's drop the in universe hypocrisy. There's a massive gap between WW killing Medusa or Lord, and the god damn Punisher.

Spectacular Member

go donna kill all men

Mighty Member

I like how the whole God of War-Leader of the Amazons issues she's having

BANNED

- art is less consistent than last issue BUT both ranges in facial expressions along with Diana looking more mature 80% of the time are improvements that are appreciated.
    - as is his gorgeous version of Hyppoloyta, and I'm a all cool with her being a spirit that guides Diana
    - the ant men (BUILDERS) are interesting if generic villains does allow finch to detail the crap out if them which I like.
    - the reveal of the cave of merged bodies is grusome and dark which I am very OK with
    - the end speech by troy was chilling and effective.... but I am at a loss how she can be redeemed and become the character we know when calling for the massacre of innocents just for being born male.
    - yes Diana is way too emotional/whiny, yes 1000s of villagers butchered is a very very good (& justified IMO) reason to be upset and try and kill the murderer but the way they went about it just fell flat, she came off not as a force of vengeance and justice but just a weakling flailing at the bad guy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Great point all around guys.

I get that DC wants to keep sending the good message, but i think it's time they relaxed a bit on it. Sure Batman wont ever kill and Superman is their Jesus, but sometimes some foo' needs to get a cap in his butt. Let's not villify a hero like they often do to Diana. She was totally justified in killing Max Lord.

Or how about that fight with Medusa. I still remember how shocked the general (in-universe) audience was at her death. Really? You were shocked that a monster was put down? Well how about all those chases you see on TV where they show the guy get gunned down? Or all the Hollywood movies?

So please, let's drop the in universe hypocrisy. There's a massive gap between WW killing Medusa or Lord, and the god damn Punisher.

Thank you sir!