Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

This whole thing with Donna Troy just makes no sense at all. Azz began the character assassination of the Amazons, but Finch is running with it full force. Who are these mindless, barbarian women, who appear to trust no one but themselves UNLESS it's some strange woman they've never seen in a suit of "Wonder armor," and in just a few days, they're ready to follow her. A strange woman who references the Amazon's time as snakes (crawling on their bellies) except that, really, Donna Troy has no stake in that BECAUSE SHE WASN'T ON THE ISLAND AT THE TIME AND ISN'T AN AMAZON.

Are they all stupid? They must be, as Finch has given no indication that they're under a spell. And as Donna Troy has barely said or done anything, how charismatic can she truly be? Or maybe they're just all hot for her and stupid in love. Who knows? I just know that I think this story line is being handled badly. At the very least, Donna could be sold to the Amazons as the lost Amazon twin who only became free when...oh, I don't know...when Ares was slain, a la Nubia? Something that actually connects Donna to the Amazons and gives her a claim to the throne.

The Hippolyte scene was nice, at least.

However, if this is the Finches' best effort, I'm really hoping that, while they've been identified as the writer/artist team post-Convergence, DC just put their names in because they don't know who the team is going to be yet.

Donna has the backing of a powerful Amazonian voice in Derinoe. I don't know why this is such a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Donna has the backing of a powerful Amazonian voice in Derinoe. I don't know why this is such a big deal.
    Someone shows up with Donna *literally* out of nowhere and she is immediately backed by all the Amazons as their new Queen because...?

It really doesn't make any sense, no matter how 'powerful' Derinoe is. Donna is a stranger created ten minutes ago - even the Amazons who don't like Diana's leadership should have more sense than to follow something like that at the drop of a hat.

"We hate Diana! We hate our absentee Queen! Let's follow a sorcerous born creature instead!"

Because Derinoe has made a case against Diana and has made a case for this new warrior. Derione's power does make it make some semblance of sense to me. The only problem I have with it is the fact that Derinoe is a new character, thus we haven't really seen her power being wielded before, we're just pretty much told this is the clout she has. This particular plot point would carry a lot more weight if the one pulling the strings were someone we knew and had characterization for beforehand. But regardless, the story in of itself has already established Derinoe as someone of great influence among the Amazons. So I just don't see this as insane as being claimed.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-18-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Because Derinoe has made a case against Diana and has made a case for this new warrior. Derione's power does make it make sense to me. The only problem I have with it is the fact that Derinoe is a new character, thus we haven't really seen her power being wielded before, we're just pretty much told this is the clout she has. But nonetheless she has that kind of power so the idea in of itself is nowhere near as crazy as you guys are making it look, imo.
    The only case she's made for Donna is 'see, no father!' That's no basis for leadership. Donna lacks knowledge and experience and, outside of having been born without a dad, has displayed zero leadership qualities.

Sure. Someone that no one saw while the Manazons were fighting alongside you shows up and says "No More Putting Up With Manazons!", and there isn't so much as a "Her, who are you exactly?"

Not to mention a golem who has only just now shown up is shouting 'we' and talking about an 'absentee queen' when she's what, a day old?

Nonsense.

True. The "reader's perspective" is a separate layer of silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Seeing as how Diana is polytheistic and a god herself, it felt wrong when the writer had her say "Oh my god!" Do the Finches not know who they are writing?
    I said this earlier but WW's relationship with deities is different from the Post Crisis-Perez version. There WW obeyed and worshiped the Gods (even though they were incompetent and unworthy) because of tradition. The Azz version has fought against and befriended them. Her relationship is far more personal.

I don't think she would "Thank Gods," or "Thank God."
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

How hard is this?

The Amazons are savages. They've been shown as being actively hostile toward Diana for attempting to drag them into the civilized world.

Angry reactionaries will flock to the banner of ANYONE who offers them a way out of being forced to change. Derinoe opposes Diana? Yay, Derinoe! Derinoe has provided a champion Derinoe promises will stop Diana and allow the Amazons to continue raiding, murdering, and selling babies into slavery? Yay, Donna!

It really is that simple. They may have doubts about Donna's origins. They don't care. They want to keep their barbaric way of life, and anyone who comes along and promises to grant them that wish will be viewed as a savior. They can worry about Donna's origins after Diana is defeated and their savagery safeguarded.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Yeah, the above explains my lack of issue with this better than I was able to vocalize. These are the feelings that Derinoe is capitalizing on. This is probably a bigger factor in fact than my pointing out that she's of a position of power and respect among the clan.

Bear in mind though that I agree this all makes the Amazons look bad. I believe Vanguard would agree also? And is definitely a step back from Diana's attempts for them to evolve as a society. But maybe that's the point. Maybe this is supposed to be a major failure with the hopes that a major breakthrough can be produced from the shards of the mess this will leave.

I'm also wondering though, how many of the Amazons are indeed on board with this? I mean, we see Donna giving a passionate speech to a group of Amazons, but really there's only a few of them drawn in positions or expressions of approval. Most that we see when Diana is wading through the crowd is just listening, and not really showing any feelings of approval or disapproval at this point. Just food for thought, I don't know if it'll amount to anything like some Amazons siding with Diana or something.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-18-2015 at 07:46 PM.

.......how the hell is Derinoe still alive?
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Bear in mind though that I agree this all makes the Amazons look bad. I believe Vanguard would agree also? And is definitely a step back from Diana's attempts for them to evolve as a society. But maybe that's the point. Maybe this is supposed to be a major failure with the hopes that a major breakthrough can be produced from the shards of the mess this will leave.
    Oh, of course, I agree. The Amazons look like crap.

The way I see it? The Finches just decided that one speech from Diana during Azz's run wasn't enough to change the Amazons. Reforming an entire society is NOT fast. Nor is it easy. There is ALWAYS resistance to such efforts. There is often even violent opposition to such efforts.

I'm betting that after this arc is over, Diana will restore her authority over the Amazons. She will show the Amazons that Derinoe has deceived them. And she will figure out how to better rule her sisters and show them a better way.

That, to me, is much more compelling than just saying that Diana can get her entire race to start turning into noble heroes with one little speech. The Amazons, right now, disgust me. They should have to EARN their redemption.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    How hard is this?

The Amazons are savages. They've been shown as being actively hostile toward Diana for attempting to drag them into the civilized world.

Angry reactionaries will flock to the banner of ANYONE who offers them a way out of being forced to change. Derinoe opposes Diana? Yay, Derinoe! Derinoe has provided a champion Derinoe promises will stop Diana and allow the Amazons to continue raiding, murdering, and selling babies into slavery? Yay, Donna!

It really is that simple. They may have doubts about Donna's origins. They don't care. They want to keep their barbaric way of life, and anyone who comes along and promises to grant them that wish will be viewed as a savior. They can worry about Donna's origins after Diana is defeated and their savagery safeguarded.
    Pretty much this, if you're watching the CW series 100 you can see the same thing there, Savages will always side with a war-like figure that's not thrusting changes upon them.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I'm betting that after this arc is over, Diana will restore her authority over the Amazons. She will show the Amazons that Derinoe has deceived them. And she will figure out how to better rule her sisters and show them a better way.
    This will be interesting to see. Given the pace of the arc so far, it seems like a toss up.