View Poll Results: Should Jameson Grow Out of His Hatred For Spider-Man?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 47.83%
  • No

12 52.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For decades Peter has been dealing with Jameson's anti-Spidey campaign. It's even lead to him sponsoring two supervillains - the Spider-Slayers and the Scorpion. Isn't it time that Jonah finally move on from his hatred and maybe accepted that he's been wrong about Spider-Man?
    I don't think so; I just want to see strong reasons for JJJ to be so anti-Spidey. A lot of the time, there doesn't seem to be a clear reason why JJJ feels the way he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Nah, he's a classic foil.
    Agreed, but again, the explanations haven't always been clearly shown by the writers. At one time, it seemed that JJJ's motivation was that he felt like a coward compared to Spidey, in that he had incidents in his past where he should've stepped up but didn't.

Honestly, I liked the political leanings that have been implied since BND: Jonah has been portrayed as conservative, wanting to let established social laws affect positive change; Spidey, as a vigilante, supersedes the laws despite having good intentions, and this to Jonah is irresponsible. (Or, at least, Jonah maintains this position outwardly.) It reminds me of when Norman Osborn took over the Bugle, and Jonah had a gun in his desk that he never could get himself to use; despite the greater good that might have arisen from the murder of Osborn, Jonah generally seems unwilling to break established social norms.

Of course, he did help create super villains, making him horribly hypocritical. I suppose that in and of itself plays a role in his hatred for Spidey, who seems to always adhere to his own moral code while Jonah sometimes deviates from what he personally thinks is right.

The fact is that, under talented writers, the Spidey-JJJ dynamic is one of the most intriguing relationships in serial fiction.

-Pav, who still thinks there's plenty to mine for future writers...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

No, because it is basically his most defining trait. Without it he is just another gruff (and cheap) publisher, and if you decide to have him engaged in otherwise shady shenanigans he just becomes another rich villain. (For some reason, we readers seem to be cool with Jonah crossing the line from time to time with these shenanigans when he is just trying to unmask or humiliate Spider-Man.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    No, because it is basically his most defining trait. Without it he is just another gruff (and cheap) publisher, and if you decide to have him engaged in otherwise shady shenanigans he just becomes another rich villain. (For some reason, we readers seem to be cool with Jonah crossing the line from time to time with these shenanigans when he is just trying to unmask or humiliate Spider-Man.)
    I'm certainly not okay with Jameson creating or aligning with super villains. That's one of the reasons I think he should grow out of his hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm certainly not okay with Jameson creating or aligning with super villains. That's one of the reasons I think he should grow out of his hatred.
    Well, without it he just becomes another Perry White, nothing all that distinguishable aside from the mustache and flat top haircut. Besides, Spider-Man needs someone to prank every now and then when the Torch is off planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Well, without it he just becomes another Perry White, nothing all that distinguishable aside from the mustache and flat top haircut. Besides, Spider-Man needs someone to prank every now and then when the Torch is off planet.
    Well he would at least be different since he started out hating the hero but grew out of it I suppose. I know people say it all depends on the writers making it seem fresh (something I've argued for other plot elements myself) but I just don't know how it can seem that way after a while. Plus it raises the question as to why anyone would believe him given how often he's been proven wrong. Maybe he can go after Tony Stark since at least that 'hero' is acting like a jerk albeit due to mind control.