Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast

Default 2015 MLB Season Thread

Spring training is upon us! Hoping the Red Sox can go worst to first to worst to FIRST!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    Spring training is upon us! Hoping the Red Sox can go worst to first to worst to FIRST!
    Well, that's not going to happen to my Phillies who have been predicted to have the worst record in baseball this season. My squad figures to be a real train wreck, here's just a few examples of the mess this team is in: ace starter Cole Hamels made it known in USA Today that he knows the Phils won't win and wants out; a few weeks ago, GM Ruben Amaro Jr. publicly stated a few weeks ago that the team would be better off without rickety slugger Ryan Howard whom the team can't trade because of a bloated contract and fast diminishing skills; closer Jonathan Papelbon was a douche at times last season and also can't be moved because of an equally bad contract. If the Phils manage 70 wins this season, I'll be surprised, and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a 100 loss season.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 02-19-2015 at 02:30 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, that's not going to happen to my Phillies who have been predicted to have the worst record in baseball this season. My squad figures to be a real train wreck, here's just a few examples of the mess this team is in: ace starter Cole Hamels made it known in USA Today that he knows the Phils won't win and wants out; a few weeks ago, GM Ruben Amaro Jr. publicly stated a few weeks ago that the team would be better off without rickety slugger Ryan Howard whom the team can't trade because of a bloated contract and fast diminishing skills; closer Jonathan Papelbon was a douche at times last season and also can't be moved because of an equally bad contract. If the Phils manage 70 wins this season, I'll be surprised, and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a 100 loss season.
    Not only can't they trade Howard, but Sandberg already announced he was the starter at first in a media session today.

I really hope the Sox and Phils do not work out a trade for Hamels. I like Hamels, but his numbers against the AL, particularly the AL East have not been pretty throughout his career and I think he is a pitcher who very much benefits from the shorter line ups of the NL. If it costs the Sox Betts or Swihart, I think it's a bad deal for the Sox in the long run. At this point Amaro would be better off waiting for the trade deadline to deal Hamels anyways, everyone knows the Phils want to move him so other GMS have leverage now, at the trade deadline in the heat of a race and a vocal fanbase demanding a move by a contending team, Amaro would have the leverage to strike a better deal for his team. But this is Amaro we are talking about and what he should do and what he does are never in the same neighborhood.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Not only can't they trade Howard, but Sandberg already announced he was the starter at first in a media session today.

I really hope the Sox and Phils do not work out a trade for Hamels. I like Hamels, but his numbers against the AL, particularly the AL East have not been pretty throughout his career and I think he is a pitcher who very much benefits from the shorter line ups of the NL. If it costs the Sox Betts or Swihart, I think it's a bad deal for the Sox in the long run. At this point Amaro would be better off waiting for the trade deadline to deal Hamels anyways, everyone knows the Phils want to move him so other GMS have leverage now, at the trade deadline in the heat of a race and a vocal fanbase demanding a move by a contending team, Amaro would have the leverage to strike a better deal for his team. But this is Amaro we are talking about and what he should do and what he does are never in the same neighborhood.

-M
    I would rather not part with Betts, Swihart or Owens for Hamels. I really love those three guys, though I have a feeling Swihart will never play in Boston. He's probably the best catching prospect in baseball and for some reason the Sox seem to be in love with Vasquez. I have a feeling Blake will be part of a deal for a starter at some point soon.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Theo wasted no time in saying the cubs will finish first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    Theo wasted no time in saying the cubs will finish first.
    Well, it's expected for teams to set lofty goals at the start of spring training. Whether or not fans believe said goals is another matter.

BANNED

I think the kids (Soler, Baez, Alcantara, Bryant) all need to get their feet wet and get used to the league before that happens. Bullpen's not great, but Lester certainly helps that rotation (Hendricks impressed me last year in fantasy which I assume translates to real baseball, and Arrieta was a shocker). Couple of years though, wouldn't surprise me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I think the kids (Soler, Baez, Alcantara, Bryant) all need to get their feet wet and get used to the league before that happens. Bullpen's not great, but Lester certainly helps that rotation (Hendricks impressed me last year in fantasy which I assume translates to real baseball, and Arrieta was a shocker). Couple of years though, wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Soler was great last year, Baez not so much but I think he'll be fine. They talk about Kris Bryant like he's the second coming, and he does hit the cover off the ball. You're right it will take some time but when it all comes together they will be a tough team to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, it's expected for teams to set lofty goals at the start of spring training. Whether or not fans believe said goals is another matter.
    But it's funny he says this long before the season starts. I imagine besides not many people will remember since this is from the offseason.

Now with madden as the skipper I'm optimistic the cubs finally get out of the dumpster that has been the losing times, produce a winning season and make the playoffs.

Everyone says the Mariners and Nationals are World Beaters this year.

Which means a Yankees/Giants World Series.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Mariners would shock me as much as the Yankees making it. Mariners have a decent team, but look at the AL West. Oakland took a step back, but they're always competitive. Angels have the talent, Rangers should but it'll take a lot of things going right, and I expect the Astros to be better this year (full year of Keuchel, McHugh, & Springer, add Gattis & Lowrie). Hard to get away from Nationals with that starting rotation, and their bullpen, and their infield. If Harper's near what they expect (unlikely, I own him in a keeper league and the kid's a disappointment) then that's probably the NL. AL? Don't see the Royals repeating, or anyone from the AL Central stepping up. AL East's a mess. I'd bet on Nats/Angels. Angels have some good young (and old) pitching, great hitters, they just need to be consistent.

Hoping my Red Sox take a step forward in their rebuilding process. Excited for Mookie (love that name), Rusney, and Xander, and hoping for good things out of Pedroia, Hanley, & Panda. That starting rotation though, jeez. Don't think it's likely we make the postseason with them. Was excited to see what Rubby and Webster could do, then we trade them both for Wade freakin' Miley? It's like they want to fail. Maybe Owens comes up and shows some stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Mariners would shock me as much as the Yankees making it. Mariners have a decent team, but look at the AL West. Oakland took a step back, but they're always competitive. Angels have the talent, Rangers should but it'll take a lot of things going right, and I expect the Astros to be better this year (full year of Keuchel, McHugh, & Springer, add Gattis & Lowrie). Hard to get away from Nationals with that starting rotation, and their bullpen, and their infield. If Harper's near what they expect (unlikely, I own him in a keeper league and the kid's a disappointment) then that's probably the NL. AL? Don't see the Royals repeating, or anyone from the AL Central stepping up. AL East's a mess. I'd bet on Nats/Angels. Angels have some good young (and old) pitching, great hitters, they just need to be consistent.

Hoping my Red Sox take a step forward in their rebuilding process. Excited for Mookie (love that name), Rusney, and Xander, and hoping for good things out of Pedroia, Hanley, & Panda. That starting rotation though, jeez. Don't think it's likely we make the postseason with them. Was excited to see what Rubby and Webster could do, then we trade them both for Wade freakin' Miley? It's like they want to fail. Maybe Owens comes up and shows some stuff though.
    Webster looked like a 5th starter/long reliever at best. He didn't show any kind of poise to respond to any kind of adversity when he was on the mound and starts would begin well bus ta soon as anything went wrong, they went off the rails quickly and he never showed the ability to effectively get through a line up the second time. He could manage one time through, but his stuff/repertoire wasn't good enough to get through a line up multiple times, hence there was adversity in almost every start and they all seemed to end poorly for him. Rubby looked like he could have made a mark as a power arm short reliever, but again he didn't show the repertoire or durability to be a dependable rotation guy and was at best a 4th (if you pushed it) or ore likely fifth starter if he wasn't relegated to the bullpen. They both had a long enough look for the Sox to evaluate what their ceiling would be. Neither was going to be an innings eater, and with the fragility of Clay they needed someone who could chew up 200 innings, hence Miley.

With Farrell saying right field is Victorino's if he's healthy, Betts is on the outside looking in in the line up right now. As for rotation upgrade-Hamels won't be it-he has been lit up by the AL East and the AL in general in his career and he was at best the #3 starter in Philly when they were championship contenders (behind Halladay and Lee), he's not worth what the Sox would have to give up to get him, and the other potential "aces" potentially available are all one year rentals yet would cost almost as much as Hamels in terms of prospects so would hurt the Sox in the long term to go get them. Next offseason has a a lot of quality starting pitching coming on the market, so it's a good play to take this year with the weak mess the AL East is and see what the 5 you have have to offer plus give Owens and company another year to season and get a looksee later in the year. If the East proves to be weak and the Sox are in it come July, you look to get a starter at the deadline when the cost is a little less for a playoff push rather than give up the house for a guy like Hamels now. You've got Porcello and Masterson for one year already, Miley, Kelly and Clay on longer deals. See what you got in action and see how the line up and position players shake out over the first half. If the Sox are in it, look for pieces as a buyer, if not, they have those two starters, Napoli, Victorino, etc. in the last year of deals to trade off and get more pieces at the deadline if someone else in the East puts it all together. Getting that mythical ace (there really isn't one available now even if Hamels is on the market) will cause them to mortgage too much of the future, and none of the pitchers they could get by doing so will make them enough better to justify that cost.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Nahhhhh! The Giants only reach the World Series in even numbered years. Look for them in 2016. Meanwhile, the Nationals look to be loaded, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they end up in the Fall Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

The nationals have become the new braves. When they make the playoffs I won't be shocked, and should they not make it past the first round I won't be shocked either.

Both John Farrell and Matt Williams got contract extensions today. I think both are facing a lot of expectations, especially Williams, so both might feela little heat if theings don't pan out for their teams after getting these extensions.

-M