Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Cubs are playing the Tigers. I dont doubt cubs will keep up the dominance on the AL teas.
    Tigers look elite in the 1st month and have reverted to chumps.

I hope the Nationals dont make the Playoffs which would be a even bigger choke than getting eliminated in round 1 like theyve been doing.
    Nationals talk a lot for not having won anything its like they're the Jets.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    After over a week's worth of chatter about Phillies second baseman Chase Utley possibly being traded to contenders like the Cubs, Angels or Giants, it appears he'll be staying put for the rest of the season according to GM Ruben Amaro Jr. The timing couldn't have been better after news was released yesterday that rookie third baseman Mikael Franco, having been struck on the left wrist by a pitch back on August 12th was put on the DL for anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks. The latter would stretch into mid-September, and that might well end Franco's season. With that in mind, the Phils have shifted current second baseman Cesar Hernandez (who filled in for Utley while he had been on the DL with a bad ankle and did a great job) to third and Utley back at his old position.
    Looks like things have changed since that post this morning. While nothing has been made official, it appears that Utley will be traded to the Dodgers for two minor leaguers. If this trade goes down, then only TWO players from one the 2008 World Series winning team, Ryan Howard and Carlos Ruiz will be left.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Looks like things have changed since that post this morning. While nothing has been made official, it appears that Utley will be traded to the Dodgers for two minor leaguers. If this trade goes down, then only TWO players from one the 2008 World Series winning team, Ryan Howard and Carlos Ruiz will be left.
    Looks like it's official with the Phils covering $4 mill of the $6 mill still owed Utley. Kendrick is only supposed to be out 2 weeks, though, so not sure what happens after that.

$2 mill and 2 players is a lot to give up to cover a 2 week DL stint for your starter.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Looks like it's official with the Phils covering $4 mill of the $6 mill still owed Utley. Kendrick is only supposed to be out 2 weeks, though, so not sure what happens after that.

$2 mill and 2 players is a lot to give up to cover a 2 week DL stint for your starter.

-M
    Yeah, I've wondered about that myself. I kinda thought Utley would end up with the Angels who have a more pressing need for a second baseman. Meanwhile, as previously mentioned, with Utley now gone, that leaves only Ruiz and Howard from the 2008 team, Ruiz has been pretty much reduced to a part-time player with Cameron Rupp handling the lion's share of the work behind the plate, so Ruiz, 36 will most likely be let go after his current contract ends. As for Howard, he'll most likely be the last man standing, thanks to the toxic combination of age (36), declining production and his albatross of a contract that pays him somewhere around $25 this season and next.

Yeah, I've wondered about that myself. I kinda thought Utley would end up with the Angels who have a more pressing need for a second baseman. Meanwhile, as previously mentioned, with Utley now gone, that leaves only Ruiz and Howard from the 2008 team, Ruiz has been pretty much reduced to a part-time player with Cameron Rupp handling the lion's share of the work behind the plate, so Ruiz, 36 will most likely be let go after his current contract ends. As for Howard, he'll most likely be the last man standing, thanks to the toxic combination of age (36), declining production and his albatross of a contract that pays him somewhere around $25 this season and next.
    Utley had full 10/5 no trade ability, so he could veto any trade. From what I understand, Jimmy Rollins was instrumental in getting Utley to accept a trade to the Dodgers. So maybe Utley had informed management he wouldn't accept a trade to the Angels, Giants, or Cubs?

Dodgers are flush with cash so they can afford to spend the money, and they have to win their division, as any second place team not in the central is likely on the outside looking in at the playoffs because both Wildcards look to come from the Central if things hold the way they are, so two weeks could be a make or break run for the Dodgers with the Giants getting hot at the right time again. Still seems a bit much, but I am sure there is a lot of stuff behind the curtain we don't know. I have even read speculation that the move might indicate Kendrick is more seriously hurt than they let on and will be out longer than the 2 weeks everyone is expecting. So who knows.

And yeah, Howard is essentially untradable at this point. I also wonder how long Amaro will be around with the new president in place and basically making the decisions now.

-M

The cubs swept the braves in 4 games. It's been a great august for the Cubs.

The Mets opened a four game series with my Phillies last night and had Jacob DeGrom and his sub 2.00 ERA on the hill, leading me to think my boys were gonna get blanked before the home crowd. However, that didn't happen as the Phightins lit up a surprisingly ineffective DeGrom for seven runs in just under three innings, giving rookie hurler Adam Morgan a 7-2 lead over the NL East leaders. Then the nuke went off as the Mets proceeded to score fourteen, that's FOURTEEN unanswered runs, including a team record eight home runs in what wound up being a 16-7 arse-whuppin'. Yikes!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 08-25-2015 at 06:26 AM.

I saw the sports center recap on that, holy crap

The mets opened a can of whoop ass and home runs easily beating the phillies.

Mets are 5 games ahead of Nats. Closing in on the last portion of the regular season the nats are in danger of missing the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    Mets are 5 games ahead of Nats. Closing in on the last portion of the regular season the nats are in danger of missing the playoffs.
    Matt Williams should update his resume. If the Nats fail to make the playoffs after all the hype about them being the team to beat in the NL, there's a good chance Williams might get the chop. While the Nats had been pummeled by injuries all season long to top players like Jayson Werth, Stephen Strasberg and Denard Span among others, I suspect that excuse won't save Williams' job if the team comes up short in the postseason hunt.

Matt Williams should update his resume. If the Nats fail to make the playoffs after all the hype about them being the team to beat in the NL, there's a good chance Williams might get the chop. While the Nats had been pummeled by injuries all season long to top players like Jayson Werth, Stephen Strasberg and Denard Span among others, I suspect that excuse won't save Williams' job if the team comes up short in the postseason hunt.
    This would be more hillarious than blowing in the playoffs like they have been. A team that has talked a lot and hasnt accomplished anything in the
    playoffs.

The Rockies looked great for their first series in the first week, then lost to the cubs, and remain the roadkill of MLB. So the moral being it is utterly
    unwise to make a huge conclusion from such a small sample size. No doubt rockies fans are counting down the days till the broncos start the nfl season.

Rockies and phillies exiting finish to see which avoids being the worst team.
    I pick the Mets as my surprise team, so far they're prospering, and look great. Still holding off on celebrating along with my Cubs as a large portion of the regular season still left, and both teams are notorious for choking. The cubs far more as the kings of heartbreak.

Cubs travel to SF to play the giants. A chance to put even more distance from the Gmen.

The great Astros demolish the stankees 15-1. All to easy to quote to Darth Vader, blue jays won now 1 game ahead of the bronx bomers who are bombing.
    I believe it comes down to the final week with the blue jays winning the AL East.

BANNED

The mets opened a can of whoop ass and home runs easily beating the phillies.

yea buddy, broke out the whoopin' stick on the Phils

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    yea buddy, broke out the whoopin' stick on the Phils
    You have the name of the famous movie character of the classic black and white movie.

Called the fighting phillies more like currently the candy ass fightless phillies who got ran over like roadkill.
    Mets are playing great baseball.

BANNED

The Mets opened a four game series with my Phillies last night and had Jacob DeGrom and his sub 2.00 ERA on the hill, leading me to think my boys were gonna get blanked before the home crowd. However, that didn't happen as the Phightins lit up a surprisingly ineffective DeGrom for seven runs in just under three innings, giving rookie hurler Adam Morgan a 7-2 lead over the NL East leaders. Then the nuke went off as the Mets proceeded to score fourteen, that's FOURTEEN unanswered runs, including a team record eight home runs in what wound up being a 16-7 arse-whuppin'. Yikes!
    I remember how a few weeks ago, the fans and media were ready to hang Sandy Alderson from the rafters of Citi Field. Now? The guy is looking like a freaking genius as the Met's have just seemingly become the most dangerous team heading into he post-season. And with that pitching staff. they could possible do some serious damage come late October.

As for my Yankees....even if we do manage to make it....were not going very far.

BANNED

You have the name of the famous movie character of the classic black and white movie.

Called the fighting phillies more like currently the candy ass fightless phillies who got ran over like roadkill.
    Mets are playing great baseball.
    Yes, I do

second classic novel I ever read, first was Moby Dick but I figure something like CaptainAhab might be a bit much