Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Is game one and the first week of mlb the biggest time for overreaction?

Harvey looks good for MEts in his return but they lose Wheeler for the season with TJ surgery.

Kelly leaves the same game for the Sox with bicep tendinitis.

Cliff Lee goes on 60 day DL to avoid surgery, the third time he's tried to rehab the same injury in a non-surgical manner. There's a chance he can return this year but most likely done for year and possibly career if it doesn't respond to rest and rehab, as surgery will put him out at least a year and he would then be pushing 40 trying to make his comeback.

Indians Gavin Floyd also to undergo surgery and likely out for season.

and Pete Rose has sent an official request to the new commish that his lifetime ban be lifted.

-M

Mets just cannot catch a break with these kids.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Cliff Lee goes on 60 day DL to avoid surgery, the third time he's tried to rehab the same injury in a non-surgical manner. There's a chance he can return this year but most likely done for year and possibly career if it doesn't respond to rest and rehab, as surgery will put him out at least a year and he would then be pushing 40 trying to make his comeback.
    I don't see this ending well. It seems to me that Lee is simply delaying the inevitable, I mean, if there's no progress in his condition sixty days from now, what does Lee do then? Go on the DL for a fourth time and pray for a miracle? He should just give up and have the surgery, the Phillies weren't going to win with him, and nothing will change without him.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

So Pete Rose has submitted another formal request to have his life time ban overturned and be reinstated. What makes it notable is that Commissioner Manfred has said he'll "consider it on its merits." This is big news because Commissioner Selig and Commissioner Fay Vincent simply dismissed them without any consideration. And just for the record I LOVE only having to say "Commissioner Selig" in the past tense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    So Pete Rose has submitted another formal request to have his life time ban overturned and be reinstated. What makes it notable is that Commissioner Manfred has said he'll "consider it on its merits." This is big news because Commissioner Selig and Commissioner Fay Vincent simply dismissed them without any consideration. And just for the record I LOVE only having to say "Commissioner Selig" in the past tense now.
    Same here! I'm so happy that Bumbling Bud is gone. As for Pete, I have no problem with his being in the Hall of Fame, I mean, he SHOULD be enshrined in Cooperstown. I also hope Commissioner Manfred will also consider eliminating one of Bud's biggest blunders, the moronic rule linking the winner of the All-Star Game to home field in the World Series.

Kris Bryant has been the best hitter in spring so far, yet the Cubs still want to send him to the minors to start the season to get that extra year of arbitration. Anybody else have an issue with this rule, I think it diminishes the game and really, it's usually 6 years down the road, is that extra year really important in the overall importance of the game. I mean in the Bryant case, he is 23, 6 years from now he will be 29, he's not getting a Stanton type deal at 29 and the Cubs could easily win those games he is in minor's helping get them to the playoffs.
    "Half this game is ninety percent mental." - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Rage View Post
    Kris Bryant has been the best hitter in spring so far, yet the Cubs still want to send him to the minors to start the season to get that extra year of arbitration. Anybody else have an issue with this rule, I think it diminishes the game and really, it's usually 6 years down the road, is that extra year really important in the overall importance of the game. I mean in the Bryant case, he is 23, 6 years from now he will be 29, he's not getting a Stanton type deal at 29 and the Cubs could easily win those games he is in minor's helping get them to the playoffs.
    There's a lot of that sort of chicanery going around as teams intentionally keep promising kids down in the minors in order to delay starting their service clock. I'm no fan of that practice either, and yeah, it does impact the game negatively as it appears for all to see that teams are putting money ahead of giving blue chip young players their shot at the big time.

I think it's 9 games right? They pretty much have to roll the dice and do it that way. Could it screw them, possibly, but it has to be done.

I think the article I read said it was 12 games, but either way, those few wins could make a huge difference. For the record, if I was the owner, I would do the same thing, but I hate seeing teams do this, I have no doubt when the next CBA comes up this rule will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    There's a lot of that sort of chicanery going around as teams intentionally keep promising kids down in the minors in order to delay starting their service clock. I'm no fan of that practice either, and yeah, it does impact the game negatively as it appears for all to see that teams are putting money ahead of giving blue chip young players their shot at the big time.
    I'm a Chicago guy, for the first time in who knows how long you are actually seeing buzz about the Cubs instead of the damn Sox, I proudly wear my Cubs hate around and people are giving out high 5's. If they move Bryant to the minors I think the city is going to riot.

The Cubs will start him in the minors for 12 games. Those 12 games ensure that the Cubs will have club control over him for an extra year. For those saying he should start the season in the majors, sure, he's hitting a ton in spring training, but, his defense is still shaky. And considering that the Cubs are a National League team, and can't just stick him in a DH role, he's going to need extra work at third anyway.

And let's not forget who Kris Bryant's agent is. Scott Boras takes his clients into free agency. Boras doesn't like signing extensions with clubs. IF Kris Bryant had a different agent, this might not be such an issue. But, with Boras as his agent, I'd be willing to role the dice on those 12 games to get that extra year of control.

Man, Bryant is just punishing the ball, it's gonna be hard to send him down for any amount of time i'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    Man, Bryant is just punishing the ball, it's gonna be hard to send him down for any amount of time i'm sure.
    12 days in the minors is what they need for the year not to accrue I believe.However the MLBPA is monitoring the situation and may tr yto prevent it from happening. Not sure where I stand on it, I mean I know it comes across as cheap, but the players did collectively bargain it, so I am not sure they have a leg to stand on.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    12 days in the minors is what they need for the year not to accrue I believe.However the MLBPA is monitoring the situation and may tr yto prevent it from happening. Not sure where I stand on it, I mean I know it comes across as cheap, but the players did collectively bargain it, so I am not sure they have a leg to stand on.

-M
    Yea there probably isn't a whole lot they can do about it.