Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657 LastLast
    Go Phillies

How does everyone feel about the Marlins with the Chen signing and Gordon extension? I still highly doubt they contend in the NL East, but I wouldn't be surprised to seem them around the 78-82 win mark, and maybe, if they outplay their Pythageron W/L, maybe they can nab a second wild card spot

Quote Originally Posted by Omar 382 View Post
    How does everyone feel about the Marlins with the Chen signing and Gordon extension? I still highly doubt they contend in the NL East, but I wouldn't be surprised to seem them around the 78-82 win mark, and maybe, if they outplay their Pythageron W/L, maybe they can nab a second wild card spot
    Is Ichiro still going to pitch for them?

I don't see them doing much, sadly.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Go Phillies

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Is Ichiro still going to pitch for them?

I don't see them doing much, sadly.
    What pitch was that? It had a little movement....

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

NL East will be all about the Mets with their killer young pitching and the Nats with their bats in 2016 while everyone else brings up the rear. I don't see the Fish getting past New York and Washington to be anything close to contending.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Go Phillies

Who's watching Top 10 center fielders and then shortstops tonight on MLB Network? I can't wait. I'll post my top 10's shortly

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    NL East will be all about the Mets with their killer young pitching and the Nats with their bats in 2016 while everyone else brings up the rear. I don't see the Fish getting past New York and Washington to be anything close to contending.
    Agreed. Marlins aren't contending for anything
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Who's watching Top 10 center fielders and then shortstops tonight on MLB Network? I can't wait. I'll post my top 10's shortly
    Thanks for reminding me about this
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Go Phillies

I mainly weighed the players based on what I expect them to do in solely 2016, but I did also put a little stock in their production past 2016. Basically which players would you like to be able to have in their 4th, 5th, and 6th arbitration years. Anyway

Center fielders:
    1. Mike Trout
    2. Andrew McCutchen
    3. Lorenzo Cain
    4. Mookie Betts
    5. A.J. Pollock
    6. Joc Pederson
    7. Carlos Gomez
    8. Kevin Kiermaier
    9. Marcell Ozuna
    10. Brett Gardner

Shortstops:
    1. Carlos Correa
    2. Troy Tulowitzki
    3. Xander Bogaerts
    4. Corey Seager
    5. Andrelton Simmons
    6. Brandon Crawford
    7. Jung-ho Kang
    8. Addison Russell
    9. Jhonny Peralta
    10. Didi Gregorius

If we're talking about just defense alone (not hitting), my rankings would be:

Center Fielders:
    -Trout
    -Mookie Betts
    -McCutchen
    -Kiermaier
    -Heyward
    -Pederson
    -Cain
    -Pollack
    -Carlos Gomez
    -Ozuna

Shortstops:
    -Russell
    -Correa
    -Tulo
    -Bogaerts
    -Kang
    -Baez

I feel like I'm missing someone but that's my ranks

Go Phillies

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Agreed. Marlins aren't contending for anything
    Yeah, I don't think so either. But they have players who have potential to be really good. If Fernandez throws 230 innings with a 2.20 xFIP and Chen throws 200 innings with a 2.70 xFIP and Stanton plays a full season and slug .560 and Gordon posts a .360 OBP with 50 steals (and he cuts down on his CS) and Ozuna slugs .470, you never know. Still, the likelihood of all those things occuruing in one season is unlikely.

Go Phillies

Center Fielders:
    -Trout
    -Mookie Betts
    -McCutchen
    -Kiermaier
    -Heyward
    -Pederson
    -Cain
    -Pollack
    -Carlos Gomez
    -Ozuna

Shortstops:
    -Russell
    -Correa
    -Tulo
    -Bogaerts
    -Kang
    -Baez

Why would you rank just defense?

Center Fielders:
    -Trout
    -Mookie Betts
    -McCutchen
    -Kiermaier
    -Heyward
    -Pederson
    -Cain
    -Pollack
    -Carlos Gomez
    -Ozuna

Shortstops:
    -Russell
    -Correa
    -Tulo
    -Bogaerts
    -Kang
    -Baez

If you're ranking just defense alone, Jackie Bradley Jr. of the Red Sox is better than his partner there Mookie Betts (who will play right field this year as he did last year after JBJ took over in center). Bradley could have won the Gold Glove 2 seasons ago for center field but he got demoted during the season because he couldn't hit a lick. He hit better late last season, enough to stick but who knows how he'll hit this year, but what is not questionable is his defense. Some have ranked him as the best defensive center fielder in the game currently and the best to have ever played center for Boston (defensively). I might not go that far yet, but he does deserve mention in a list of best defensive center fielders.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    If you're ranking just defense alone, Jackie Bradley Jr. of the Red Sox is better than his partner there Mookie Betts (who will play right field this year as he did last year after JBJ took over in center). Bradley could have won the Gold Glove 2 seasons ago for center field but he got demoted during the season because he couldn't hit a lick. He hit better late last season, enough to stick but who knows how he'll hit this year, but what is not questionable is his defense. Some have ranked him as the best defensive center fielder in the game currently and the best to have ever played center for Boston (defensively). I might not go that far yet, but he does deserve mention in a list of best defensive center fielders.

-M
    True, but we're talking about CF and Mookie played CF last year for the Sox.

True, but we're talking about CF and Mookie played CF last year for the Sox.
    For the first half, the second half he mostly played right after he came back from time missed crashing into the wall-and I thought we were looking towards 2016 too, and JBJ is definitely in center and Mookie in right next year.

-M

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

So in watching the film "Moneyball" it was a nice story about how Billy Beane hired a man to crunch numbers and stats to get the most outta the players he could afford for his small market team. It was such a nice film and showed how he replaced 3 big all-stars on his team. To make it more fun was the fact Beane had everyone doubting this. No one thought his approach would work and he was 41 and knowing the pressure was on.

The best part was the end as the Boston Red Sox owner offered Beane the dream job. A big market team and budget. "Billy , if you can make the Oakland Athletics nearly beat the New York Yankees who have double the payroll your team has ...I know your the perfect man for this job." But at the end as the film showed Beane once followed the money and let it dictate his future. Instead he screwed up (he was a bust and he didn't go to college as he regretted that decision) and we see him decide to stay with the Athletics.

It was nice to see that Beane stayed there because he could have left for big money and so many guys jump for that next big money contract. Coaches , GM's etc etc....its about the pay day . Instead Beane stayed and he was rewarded after so many years of service and now a VP of the team. He showed that he was happy with what he makes and the team that was loyal to him (gave him a job as a scout in 1990) and he's been there ever since.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.